Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Chuckles 2017 E-Book Blitz January Review


Owls are wise right? So when Mr Owl says that 2017 is time to tackle my e-book pile, I think I better listen to him! This year I really need to reduce the pile of bargain books so I'm having an ebook blitz through the entire year. It doesn't matter how many I finish or how many I DNF as long as I get them off the TBR!

Here is my final challenge update. I made huge progress and dealt with 66 ebooks. The first 35 were my original choices to start the month. The others were added through the rest of the month!

The Chosen Ones:
1 Justin Sloan-Teddy Bears and the Christmas Pirates (read-3 star)
2 Robert Hodam-The Ark (DNF)
3 James Hunt-Static #1 (DNF)
4 James Hunt-Static #2 (DNS)
5 Hugo Navikov-Spinosaurus (read-2.5 star)
6 Jason McPherson-Dead Ascent (read-3 star)
7 AR Shaw-The China Pandemic (DNF)
8 Sam Sisavath-Purge of Babylon (DNF)
9 Nathan Jones-Fuel (DNF)
10 Devon C Ford-Survival (DNF)
11 Joelle Charbonneau-The Testing Guide (read-1 star)
12 Lesley Jepson-The Secret (read-3 star)
13 Robert J Crane-Called (DNF)
14 Stephen Knight-Preparing for the dead (read-2 star)
15 Stephen Knight-Waiting for the dead (DNF)
16 Stephen Knight-Fighting the dead (DNF)
17 Jasmine Walt-Burned by magic (DNF)
18 Caethes Faron-Magic Born (read-3 star)
19 Tricia Owens-Descended from dragons (read 3 star)
20 Ella Summers-Magic Edge (DNF)
21 Rachel Rawlings-The Morrigna (DNF)
22 Ben Reeder-Exodus (read-3.5 star)
23 JR Rain-The dead detective (DNF)
24 LG Estrella-Unconventional heroes (read-3 star)
25 Alexandra Engellmann-Sky Ghosts (read-2 star)
26 Viktor Zarkov-Megatooth (read-4 star)
27 Boyd Craven III-Agony of the World (read-3 star)
28 George RR Martin-Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (read-2 star)
29 Eldritch Black-Night of the Christmas Letter Getters (read-2 star)
30 Morgan Nyberg-The Fixer (DNF)
31 Robert Brown-The last blade of grass (read-3.5 star)
32 Andrew Cunningham-Eden Rising (DNF)
33 David Nelson-The Journey (read-4 star)
34 Andrew Baze-The Road Home (read-3 star)
35 Albert Yates-The Dead Rising (DNF)

So after 17 days I was finished and picked another pile to tackle!
1 Owen Baille-Aftermath (DNF)
2 Matthew Gilman-After the Day (DNF)
3 David Nelson-Coming Together #2 (read-4 star)
4 David Nelson-A long road ahead #3 (read-3 star)
5 Stephen Birch-New World (DNF)
6 Devon Vondarin-The Crash (DNF)
7 JD McKenna-The Dead Familiar (read-4 star)
8 Kenneth Cary-Curtain Call (read-3 star)
9 Thomas Sherry-Deep Winter (DNF)
10 John Grit-Apocalypse Law (DNF)
11 J Walker-The Fortress #2 (read-2.5 star)
12 Belinda Frisch-Cure (DNF)
13 Eric Methven-EMP (read-4 star)
14 Josh Hilden-The Rising (DNF)
15 Dell Sweet-Earths Survivors Apocalypse (DNS)
16 Matt Wallace-Envy of Angels (read-3 star)
17 Alan Spencer-TRex (Read-2.5 star)
18 Andrew J Morgan-Noah's Ark (DNF)
19 Rick Chesler-Jurassic Dead (read-2.5 star)
20 K Gorman-Into the Fire (DNF)

And this is what I managed in my last week of the month:
1 Christopher Golden-Ararat (read-4 star)
2 Alison Weir-Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession (read-5 star)
3 PA Douglas-Epidemic of the Undead (DNF)
4) RL Blalock-The Darkest Days (read-4 star)
5 Pippa DaCosta-Wings of Hope (read-3 star)
6 MD Massey-Druid Blood (read-3 star)
7 Z Rider-Insylum (read-2 star) 
8 Pippa DaCosta-Falling (read-2 star)
9 Sarah Dalton-My Daylight Monsters (read-3.5 star)
10 Matthew D Mark-Dark Days Rough Roads (read-4 star)
11 John Reece-World's End (read-3 star) 

Did you have a good reading month? Read anything really great so far?

12 comments:

  1. You are doing great on this! Nice to see the differen ratings- some of these titles make me very curious. 1 star for Joelle Charbonneau-that's good to know, I read a book of hers and liked it and was wondering about the Testing. Maybe I'll hold off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Testing was a really great book...the 1 star here was for a prequel that has about 12 pages and was boring and added nothing to the story. Skip the Testing Guide and go straight to The Testing! Very much in the vein of The Hunger Games.

      Yeah too many titles to add in links or it would be a monster post!

      Delete
  2. Chuckles, you are amazing! This is an incredible amount of books to get off of your tbr pile in a single month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a month that exceeded expectations! Turns out a lot of the books I had been hoarding weren't great but I did find some new series to continue with so I'm pleased at how it went! Now I just need to keep that up all year!

      Delete
  3. Wow. You're rocking this! I'm enjoying seeing what books "make the cut" and hopefully your ability to DNF will eventually wear off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky to be able to DNF like this...I don't know how I would cope with not being able to! Self published and Indie can be a lottery but finding the good books in amongst the lesser is pretty satisfying! I'm dead chuffed with the start to the year on books read and tbr reduction!

      Delete
  4. Holy cats, you need to teach me how to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could do that, it certainly would help a lot of people! Actually, those struggling to DNF could maybe start by putting that book aside and start reading something else, or read a few books. Then after a period of time, think back to that set aside book-am I bothered now that I never finished it? Do I really need to know what happened? If you can then answer 'no', you can maybe officially DNF it. Who knows, the odd DNF here and there might help kickstart a new way of looking at books!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is quite some progress! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best reading month ever I think! Now I need to do a zombie paperback series catchup and maybe start Game of Thrones this month! I hope to fit in at least a week of ebooks to keep things moving along-should be busy!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm pretty chuffed at how well things are going. Now the hard part is keeping it going all year!

      Delete