Monday, 2 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads #1: 'Salems Lot by Stephen King



Something strange is going on in Jerusalem's Lot ... but no one dares to talk about it. By day, 'Salem's Lot is a typical modest New England town; but when the sun goes down, evil roams the earth. The devilishly sweet insistent laughter of a child can be heard echoing through the fields, and the presence of silent looming spirits can be felt lurking right outside your window. Stephen King brings his gruesome imagination to life in this tale of spine tingling horror.

My Review: 
'Salem's Lot is a small town with a dark secret. Ben has returned to the scene of his childhood trauma and decides to seek out the evil vampire and his human servant and destroy them. But who will help and who will hinder him? Can he really defeat the vampire and free the town?

This is one of Stephen King's best and it makes us confront all our fears about things that go bump in the night. It is dark and creepy, with menace hanging over the plot like a creepy mist. When I saw the film as a kid I had nightmares every time I heard a noise at the window, thinking about vampire nails scratching on the glass. I still get jumpy about noises outside which is why I sleep with earplugs! I've yet to watch the remake featuring Rob Lowe and I'm not sure if I'll get round to it when I like the original version so much. This book is about building up the tension as Ben decides on how to deal with the vampire rather than a blood and gore novel, and how the people in the town react to what is going on.

Mr Barlow was a scary ass vampire whose Nosferatu type appearance would frighten anyone to death. The thought of finding the courage to go into that house to kill that monster would really empty your bladder. His human servant was suitably creepy and the town itself seemed to be held in their spell with nobody wanting to do anything about the evil that was there until Ben comes along to rock the boat. It doesn't make me want to rush to live in a small town like this! I haven't read the book in a while but I do remember that I liked the short chapters. The story had you thinking 'I'll just read another chapter, it's only a few pages' and before you know it you've finished the book. I like it when I get books like that which I can get thnrough quickly and which hold my attention.

If you want to get your vampire adventures off to a good start with no sign of romantic vampires, then this is a good choice. I look forward to reading this again when I have reduced my tbrs.
 

Last Read March 2010. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

6 comments:

  1. It's great seeing some of your older reviews. I also loved this book and I'm sure it's one of the main reason I still like my vampires on the scary side more than the shimmery side. Barlow is one of the main reasons I want to name a boxer pup that one day. This and The Shining are two of my favorite King books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barlow is a very cool name for a dog! That vampire scared me as a kid and I've loved all things vampire ever since!

      Delete
  2. You don't see many reviews for his older works these days. This is my favorite book by King and my favorite movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much liked King's older works like this, IT, The Stand, Carrie. Not greatly keen on his newer work though.

      Delete
  3. This one's still on my list as well! I got a little glimpse, as it was referenced in the Dark Tower Series.
    I am glad there's so many King novels out there I haven't read yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the early work of Stephen King in the 80s but not as keen on the newer stuff I've looked at. I still have a few I haven't read yet so I'll see how I get on with that.

      Delete