Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads #2: Fear the Light by William Massa


Who Murdered Dracula?

Many had tried to kill the Count over the centuries. All had failed. Until now...

Eight vampires gather at their maker's castle to solve the mystery of who killed Dracula. But as the sun rises outside the chateau, a voice cries out and another vampire is slain. Trapped inside their master's lair, the sun burning bright outside, Dracula's children realize that they have met their match - a formidable killer who plans on picking them off one by one! As the daylight reigns and their numbers dwindle, a dark suspicion grows - could the killer be hiding in plain sight?


My Review:
Who killed Dracula? That is the question that his clan have been brought to his Paris estate to discuss and investigate. With little time to talk before the sun comes up, they agree to meet when darkness falls to start investigating. When the others are awoken to a death scream just hours later, they realise that Dracula's killer is inside the house and the sun cuts off any chance of escape. Now they must solve the mystery and outwit the killer by staying alive until dark...

I really enjoyed this book and devoured it in one night. It gets straight into the story as we follow Vincent who refuses to feed on humans or have anything to do with the clan, being forced to join the others in Paris. They are all children of Dracula, turned through the ages, with different views on what their Master was. Is it one of them who killed Dracula or is there another unknown enemy hiding in the castle? It's like one of those old murder mysteries you see on Sunday TV where the suspects all gather and point the finger at each other. Then the killer starts to take them out one by one, using their vampire weaknesses against them.

I liked seeing the vampires vulnerable and scared, trapped inside by the sun and not knowing who to trust. These are killers at the top of the food chain who are used to hunting and now THEY are the weak prey being hunted. They cannot go into the sun and are trapped in the castle with an enemy who seems to anticipate their every move. The author had me thinking about everything that was said or done, trying to find that clue as to who was the killer. It was fun! To start with I had two suspects in mind but they died quickly so that ended that! But I did pick up on a couple of clues and guessed who was responsible by just after halfway through the book. That was very satisfying!

I liked the clever ways that each vampire met their death, just like a good horror film. There was enough tension as they try to find a way to escape the castle and evade the traps set for them. I also felt as if I was rooting for a couple of the vampires to escape but hoping others would die, based on the characters that I liked. I also liked the addition of the two human hostages being held by the vampires as their story and involvement was intriguing!

There were twists and turns and the book moved along at a fast pace which I liked. There is no slowing of the action from the minute they arrive at the castle and something is always happening. It was a good thriller that non horror fans can enjoy as it is not graphic in the death scenes for the most part. I would certainly read more by this author in the future.

Read June 2014.
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I've had this on my reading list for ages. I've always been drawn to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book! I'd like to see it as a film...a vampire whodunnit!

      Delete
  2. I vaguely remember coming across this book. Another I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he writes some more urban fantasy for me to try as I really enjoyed this. It would make a great film!

      Delete