Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Chuckles Chat #2 Book Boyfriends/Girlfriends

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week I'm looking at Book Boyfriends/Girlfriends. When I visit blogs, especially blogs of YA readers or see lists on Top Ten Tuesday, this subject comes up. Pick out ten book boyfriends/girlfriends you love, followed by gushing and fangirling/fanguying(?) over the hottest fictional loves! I see it a lot but it never interests me to join in!

I get that there are incredible characters that some of you like to swoon over who would maybe make great lovers in real life, or who are too darn perfect to ever exist. I get that people find it fun to talk about it and compare lists etc. But as much as I enjoy good characters in my books I just don't think about dating them and don't ever bother thinking about them like that. Ever. It just never interests me! I just see them as characters I guess! I just want to read the book, enjoy the plot and characters and then forget about it, move on to the next. I have never felt interested in claiming book boyfriends, comparing their hotness or obsessing over fictional book characters or discussing the perfect dates with Hagrid or whatever/whoever floats your boat! I guess that whole thing has kind of passed me by! 

So, I'm curious about your opinion on the subject. Do you do the book boyfriend/girlfriend thing? What is it you enjoy about it? Do you make lists, chat about it on forums or something else? Do you feel left out when the focus is mainly on book boyfriends if you prefer girls or aren't you bothered? Do you hate the whole concept or not get it at all? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

20 comments:

  1. Nope, not really into the whole Book Boyfriend/Girlfriend thing. Maybe if I was younger but then I don't think it would have appealed to me then either. Sometimes the posts like that are fun to read though from time to time. Now, Booker T and Cassius TOTALLY have book girlfriends and I mention them from time to time.

    I don't even really do this much with TV/Movies except there is Daryl Dixon...and I think Tyrion Lannister would be a great drinking buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I view films and TV differently as the men are real in the form of the actors as well as the characters! Daryl Dixon, oh yes! He is the guy you want to spend the apocalypse with! If they kill him, I'm done with TWD! Tyrion is such a great guy...I'd love to hang out with him...

      Delete
    2. I always said the same about Daryl...if he dies, I'm out.

      Delete
  2. The perfect dates with Hagrid, hahaha. Never seen him on anyone's list ;-)

    I'm not big into book boyfriends. There are only three characters, I think, who I could maybe consider that? Though I would still feel weird using that actual term. And my book boyfriends are definitely not based on hotness. They're not the bad boy alphas who would just be insufferable in real life either. I feel like people would probably hate most of their book boyfriends in real life lol.

    I do sometimes feel bad for people who aren't into guys though since the focus is always on the guys and never the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hagrid probably wasn't the best example but my mind had gone blank! Some of the choices people have for book boyfriends are jaw dropping when you see the violent thugs and wannabe rapists amongst them! They don't sound like fun relationships!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't say that I have book boyfriends or girlfriends but I have been know to point out how a character is acting in a book and ask him to try to act as they do. He especially enjoys it when I tell him to be a shapeshifter.

    I do think that the book boyfriend/girlfriend thing is all in good fun. I have characters that I love that almost feel like old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! It's ok to train a partner to be more like a character...! Be a shapeshifter LOL! Yeah it is fun to see the fangirling and who people love. I find it much easier to pick people to hang out with as friends though!

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty ambivalent on this, there just aren't that many YA protags that I fanguy over lol. Although I do sometimes enjoy the squealage that occurs when going through lists like on TTT, it's just funny. :) If anything I've noticed if I do a list like that it's usually characters on a show- like Kiera from Continuum, I loved that show and thought she was awesome. So I guess I do sorta do it, sometimes? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could fill a post on characters in films and TV shows easy enough...next time TTT does a book boyfriend thing I'll probably resort to that instead. I could pick more than ten I think!

      Delete
  5. I didn't used to really be into it. Until recently with some of the Jennifer L. Armentrout books. Daemon Black was really my first book boyfriend. But now, I have two, and it is because I fell in love with them in the books, and I wish I could find someone like them. It is not their looks that do it, it is their personality and sense of humor and all of that. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes total sense! If the guys I'd met through the years were more like some book characters maybe I would be married with kids, who knows! Maybe authors are writing characteres so good that real people will never measure up!

      Delete
  6. I definitely used to get too much into certain book characters when I was younger. The older I get the more it goes away xD I pay more attention to character development, plot etc.

    With movies and TV shows though? Oh yes, still going.
    I agree with Barb... Daryl Dixon is definitely nice to look at. But I am more into his older brother Merle. He's an asshole, but damn, he's hot..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dixon brothers both have that tough guy vibe where you know you are safer with them around-I totally get that. I love both characters but I'd go with Daryl! Hey, that way we could double date if I fight off Barb first for Daryl's attention! *giggles*

      Delete
    2. Nope, never been into the book boyfriend/girlfriend thing even when I was a kid. LOL, that's the first time I think I've seen someone say they'd take Merle over Daryl. I guess he's all yours ;) I kind of prefer Negan myself . . .

      Delete
    3. I've just finished season three and I don't know who Negan is so I guess he comes later. Mila can have Merle to herself but I think a lot of us would either have to share Daryl or fight over him!

      Delete
    4. Yayy, no competition :D He's all mine then ;-) You all can share Daryl haha

      Delete
    5. *grins* An exciting apocalypse all round, now we have the romance sorted!

      Delete
  7. I don't really get the whole concept at all, since I'm asexual and don't really see many/any people that way. I just read it as "people I wish were real so I could hang out with them"... that way it can be kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have a pretty long list of people in books I'd like to hang out with! Me, I like men, drool over actors etc but don't want a real life relationship with one! People give me weird looks if I tell them I enjoy being single and don't want relationships!

      Delete