Sunday, 29 January 2017

Lunar New Year Book Tag



So, Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 is Lunar New Year.   Happy Year of the Rooster!  Millions of people around the world celebrate Lunar New Year, mostly in Asian cultures.

To celebrate the Year of the Rooster this year, Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit teamed up with  Joey @ Thoughts and Afterthoughts  to bring you the Lunar New Year Book Tag!  Instructions, downloads, and a link back are at the bottom of Tiff's post HERE.
 
Which Chinese zodiac animal you are?
  • Click over here for list of dates. Match up your birthday to the corresponding year, and that’s your animal.
  • Or if you’re good at math, try this handy trick from TravelChinaGuide.com: Divide your year of birth by 12 and read the remainder. If the number of the year can be divided with no remainder, take the remainder as zero. Each remainder corresponds to an animal sign.
0: Monkey 1: Rooster 2: Dog 3: Pig
4: Rat 5: Ox 6: Tiger 7: Rabbit
8: Dragon 9: Snake 10: Horse 11: Sheep

Got it? You can read more about the different signs here, or below in each of the graphics!


Hmm, I want to finally get my hands on Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson book 9 which gets its paperback release in the next week or two. I hate waiting a year for paperback editions! Also looking forward to the Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid anthology in the summer. But the one I REALLY want is Craig Oliver's Brexit behind the scenes book Unleashing Demons in June!


It's always Harry Potter! If I'm in a reading slump or just want something nice to cuddle up with I turn to this series either in paperback or the Stephen Fry audio books. It always gets me out of the slump and ready to read again.


When I get a new obsession I go a bit mad. Recently, it might be that gorgeous hardback Harry Potter set I got in the 2015 Black Friday sales when I already had the paperback editions. Or it might be the Game of Thrones bag I got this year...I don't even USE shoulder bags!




I read a lot of Indie and self published so I have hundreds fit the bill! For horror try JG Faherty's Carnival of Fear, for urban fantasy Judith Post's Wolf Bane, for paranormal go with DelSheree Gladden's Wicked Hunger. Ignore the dreadful cover to Wicked Hunger-it's a good dark fantasy series not fluffy romance!



So many I could pick here...but I'm going with Zoey from the Monster Haven books by RL Naquin. She is kind, caring and helpful, trying to solve the problems of her monster guests. You would want her to be your friend and she always tries to do the right thing.


I don't really read 'issue' kind of books! I think I'll go with Wendy Jean-Stolen, a good contemporary which shows the issues surrounding child abduction, with the media spotlight, the family falling apart and how everyone copes with it.


There is an all action series with lots of shifters, magic, monsters which also features a romance I enjoyed! Yes it did happen! The romance is background to the action but I liked the way it was done. Deacon and Tiff are sweet together. Try the Deacon Chalk series by James R Tuck! 


I have to go here with something from my Tudor collection as I love that time period. Favourites are Philippa Gregory's two Boleyn books, Emily Purdy's Tudor Wife, Alison Weir's Anne Boleyn which is due for release in a couple of months. Also like Jean Plaidy, Margaret Campbell Barnes, Ella March Chase, Judith Arnopp...


A good manipulative character would be Albus Dumbledore. He manipulates so many people around him, setting Harry on the path to defeat Voldemort, using Snape's love for Lily to get him positioned as a spy, ensuring Voldemort falls into the trap of using Harry's blood...He never gives Harry enough information to do the job yet means him no real harm and is doing all these things for the Greater Good!


A good stand alone book for dinosaurs is Rick Jones-The Valley, for zombies VM Zito-The Return Man, for vampires William Massa Fear the Light is a good choice.



I love this Harry Potter set of covers so much! Here are my favourite three from it to drool at!



There is no doubt about this one. It has to be the sausage obsessed poodle fancier who loves quotes and social experiments...yes it is the best dog ever, Oberon from Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series! 

This one was a lot of fun so thank you to Lisa over at Lisa Loves Literature-find her here: https://misclisa.blogspot.co.uk/  for an open tag which let me take part in this. I never name people for tags so if you like this, please consider yourself tagged! If you take part, please tell me in the comments so I can come over to see your choices!

10 comments:

  1. Yes... I'm normally a bit oblivious to the Chinese New Year, but I'm a Rooster, so hopefully this year will be MY year:). Thank you for this fun post and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed taking part in this as I loved the graphics!

      Delete
  2. This tag is fun. I totally agree with you about Dumbledore. He is one of the most manipulative characters in modern literature.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought he was a good choice as manipulative people don't have to have evil intent, just a determination to control things!

      Delete
  3. Awesome tag and I love your answers. I am a monkey which is ok. I don't know if I could handle being a snake since I am so scared of them. I just KNEW you were going to answer Oberon for your last one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never happy at being an Ox but it is accurate! Being a monkey is quite cool...I wanted to be a dragon as it sounds exciting! Ah Oberon just had to be the choice there!

      Delete
  4. I agree that Harry Potter books are always comfort reads! In fact, I love when there is a marathon of the movies on TV, it is like comfort tv for me in that case. I have fallen in love with Game of Thrones this past fall and winter as I binge watched the whole series and now am excited to actually watch it real time with everyone else come this summer. I love that Game of Thrones bag you got! Glad you joined in after you visiting my post on Lisa Loves Literature. According to the Chinese fortunes, this is supposed to be my year for good stuff to happen in my career, and I am really hoping it will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went mad for Game of Thrones when I started watching it at the end of last year! I plan to catch up with the books soon as I'm keen to get more background on all the characters. Hope you come and join in the GoT discussion posts I've been doing this month! The graphics on this tag are gorgeous and I just had to jump in and give it a go!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. How could you be anything else? *grins*

      Delete