Friday, 20 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: Witch Song by Amber Argyle (Witch Song #1)


Brusenna is the last.

All the other witches have been captured, their songs stolen and twisted from harmony and growth into chaos and death. She alone must stand against an evil much older and darker than anything she could ever imagine—an evil every witch before her has failed to vanquish.

Brusenna must be the first.


My Review: 
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Senna is an untrained witch who is the last hope for the survival of her kind. On a quest to rescue her mother who is a captive of the Dark Witch, Senna and her allies must uncover her powers and find a way to defeat Espen and save the trapped witches.

This is not my usual type of book. I don't usually read this kind of historical fiction but the paranormal element made me decide to try it and I'm glad that I did. In this book, witches don't have wands or shout spells at each other-instead they sing out their spells in a magical song, which was new and fresh to me. It is always nice when this kind of story produces a new twist to enjoy.

The author does a good job of blending the old historical setting with muskets, sailing ships and superstitious people who fear or adore witches, with a believable and enjoyable paranormal element. There is the good versus evil thread running through the book though the story is not as simple as you first think. The characters are well developed and likeable and when danger strikes you are worried for the safety of your favourites! That is always important to me in a new series because if you hate the characters it is hard to connect with the book itself. I really liked Pogg and I hope to see more of him in later books. Senna is a good female lead who is vulnerable and powerful, and you are rooting for her through all her challenges.

The plot is always moving along at pace. There is a lot of action, fantasy elements, an innocent start to a romance, swashbuckling pirate style ship adventures, magical creatures, duelling witches, magic and lots of adventure. Senna and Joshen make a believable, sweet couple though you know that there are going to be many obstacles to their romance which they will face. The magical fights were well written and I liked the concept of trying to silence each others voices to stop the other casting spells. I was very keen to get straight on to book 2 to see what happens next.

There is no graphic sex or foul language so it is suitable for most YA as well as adult readers.  

Read December 2013.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is striking isn't it? I took part in a blog tour for this series a few years back and I liked most of the series.

      Delete
  2. I like the concept of songs as magic and trying to silence your opponent- cool idea! And pirate ships too? Sounds like this one has all kinds of good stuff!

    Love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was clever and I loved the way it was used in the plot. It certainly had that olde setting feel to it plus good characters. Not my normal read but I liked it!

      Delete
  3. I recently got this book from Instafreebie and have been meaning to read it..The cover is gorgeous!And what an unusual concept..Hopefully I'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instafreebie is proving to be WAY too useful to me! Oh, I really enjoyed your Harry Potter character post this week! It was fun reading what you liked and learned from the characters. Great post!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I love getting undiscovered but awesome books from there! And thank you! I enjoyed writing that post :)

      Delete
  4. Singing spells, how interesting! Sounds like this book has a lot of unique and fun aspects to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much liked the concept...it added a whole new level to magical battles!

      Delete
  5. I liked this one too. It left me curious to see what comes in the world next. :)

    ReplyDelete