Friday, 6 January 2017

Vampire Mythology: The Highgate Vampire


At the top of Swains Lane lies the North Gate of Highgate Cemetery in London where in 1963 two convent girls claimed to see what appeared to be dead bodies leaving their tombs. Weeks later a couple reported seeing something hovering behind the gate. Reports followed of other ghost sightings inside and outside the Cemetery, and word got out about these happenings. Paranormal investigators were drawn to the scene which led to the infamous story of The Highgate Vampire. Two men became linked to the case.

The first was David Farrant, founder of the British [Psychic and] Occult Society who was investigating the reports of a figure. The second was Sean Manchester, a self proclaimed exorcist and founder of the British Occult Society and Vampire Research Society. Both have published books about their roles in the case and have been fierce rivals over the years. Farrant spent a night in the Cemetery and witnessed the figure for himself and when he wrote to the media about it, interest doubled. The discovery of dead foxes with throat injuries had people speculating about vampires, especially with the popularity of the Hammer Horror Dracula films of the 60s and 70s.

Farrant's account: http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/greater-london/hauntings/the-highgate-vampire-how-it-all-began-by-david-farrant.html

http://www.davidfarrant.org/the-highgate-vampire/ 

Sean Manchester was credited with the story of an nobleman in Eastern Europe who studied black magic, was smuggled into England and buried in Highgate Cemetery, and had risen. The Highgate Vampire was born. The media went wild and filmed live as rumours erupted of a real life vampire hunt in March 1970 which caused people to scale the walls and rampage through the Cemetery. Photos of the North Gate and the media coverage can be found here:

http://vamped.org/2014/11/16/seeking-vampires-in-london/  

Was there a vampire? Sean Manchesters says yes and claimed to have killed it. His account of this can be found in his book The Highgate Vampire. David Farrant disagrees and so do others including the author of this article, featuring part of Manchester's account, and photos of the area and examines confusing accounts of both men. This is why the story of The Highgate Vampire remains to this day.

https://theunredacted.com/the-highgate-vampire-horror-of-the-dead/

One thing I can say on this case-whatever was seen at the North Gate and beyond fascinates me and I'd love to visit Highgate Cemetery myself!








10 comments:

  1. Huh, how interesting! I'd not heard of this before now. Thanks for sharing this, Chuckles :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a 'real' vampire mystery! I keep meaning to search out other alleged sightings in Britain.

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is new to me to but how very interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a bit of fun nostalgia to look back at our famous 'vampire' story. Who knows what really lurks out there in the dark...

      Delete
    2. My town does a ghost tour in October with a local "famous" witch/psychic. We did it a few years ago and it was fun. Seems my town has quite a few ghost lingering around. The tour guide even did a book of them called "Cry of the Banshee." I know I have it on my shelves somewhere.

      Delete
    3. I'm not too sure about ghosts where I live but we did execute some witches in the town, which I always mean to further investigate! I like researching supernatural things locally. Your ghost tour sounds like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. Ooh this sounds interesting! It wouldn't really surprise me if vamps were real- well okay it probably would but you never know. :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything is possible. Who knows what lurks out there in the dark... There are nights when I have been sure I've heard howling outside but I do have a wild imagination! There has been talk of introducing wolves back into Scotland...probably NOT the were variety!

      Delete
  4. Creepy. I'd never heard of this one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm yet to be convinced it was a vampire but I think there was certainly a ghost of some kind. It's a fun thing to study though. I love a bit of paranormal stuff.

      Delete