Monday, 2 January 2017

Vampire Week!


Welcome to Vampire week at The Book Cave! This week (and maybe an extra couple of days as this topic is so big!) I'll be showcasing all things vampire-sharing reviews of great vampire reads, talking about vampires in film and TV, discussing book recommendations, vampire characters, covers for vampire books, and more!    

What is it about vampires that so many of us love so much? For me I love how deadly they are, the range of abilities they have-mind control, strength, invisibility, shapeshifting, immortality, depending on each author. I like that they are good or evil but always monsters. I've just always found them fascinating! I particularly enjoy vampires in a horror, dystopian or urban fantasy setting. I tend to avoid YA vampires because of instaluv, or too much paranormal romance.

Would I want to be one? I like the idea of the immortality which would give me a lot longer to tackle  my expanding tbr, but I don't like the idea of trying to go out and bite people and drink blood to survive. What if you stumble across a Buffy wannabe, huh? I don't like being outside in the dark!!! And I love pizza too much...If I was one, I'd want to be able to turn into a bat as that is just kind of cool...

What do you like about vampires? What scares you? Would you want to be one? What abilities do you like and dislike in your vampires? Do you like good or sparkly vampires or just evil ones? What genres do you most enjoy your vampires in?


8 comments:

  1. I don't really like vampires, but I LOVE The Vampire Diaries TV show, because, well, *swoons* THAT CAST THOUGH <3 Lol. Otherwise, I don't really like reading books about vampires or watching movies about that, but TVD is awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never much liked the first book as Elena was a snotnose but I've heard she isn't like that in the series. Ian Somerhalder is GORGEOUS so no prizes for guessing who I'd pick before I even start on it! I do intend to watch it at some point-already have the season one boxset!

      Delete
  2. YAY VAMPIRES. I don't even know why I love them so much to be honest. I just know that I always have, ever since I was maybe 13 or 14 (and that was before Twilight).

    Would I want to be one though? Probably not, though for different reasons, one of them being that I wouldn't want to be immortal. I mean, it's still possible to be killed as a vampire, but still, they do tend to live far longer than humans regardless. The whole nocturnal thing would suit me though. I'm already nocturnal lol because I love the night.

    I like sexy vampires, but not sparkly or vegetarian. Whether they kill humans or drink just enough to sustain them without killing, I still want them to feed from humans. But I love reading about different versions of vamps that authors come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it fun to see what different authors do with vampires. I didn't object to sparkly vampires in Twilight as I thought it was an interesting reason for them to avoid the sun. Think how many more books you could read if you were immortal!

      Delete
    2. I objected to the sparkly vampires, but I don't know if it was the sparkly version that made me hate reading about other versions and turned me off of reading vampire books for years, or if it was that I just couldn't bear any version that didn't match Anne Rice and didn't like the sparkliness for that reason. I don't remember the Twilight books anymore, but now I do respect her choice to make them sparkly. I mean, I've read some books about vamps who could go in the sun without anything happening, so at least hers had a reason to avoid it but brought a unique twist to the sun thing.

      Delete
    3. I liked Twilight at the time I read it but I've got less tolerance now for teenage angst and slow plots so I'm doubting I would read it again. It might be going to a charity shop soon!

      Delete
  3. I used to think I'd like to be one. As I got older, read more books about them and watched more movies, I decided it wouldn't be for me. Good thing they aren't real! Or are they????LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blood thing is a bit offputting I must admit! I'm one of these people who is open to anything being real I think!

      Delete