Thursday, 12 January 2017

Book Review: Jurassic Island by Viktor Zarkov


Guided by satellite photos and modern technology a ragtag group of survivalists and scientists travel to an uncharted island in the remote South Indian Ocean. Things go to hell in a hurry once the team reaches the island and the massive megalodon that attacked their boats is only the beginning of their desperate fight for survival.

Nothing could have prepared billionaire explorer Joseph Thornton and washed up archaeologist Christopher "Colt" McKinnon for the terrifying prehistoric creatures that wait for them on JURASSIC ISLAND! 


My Review:
Joseph Thornton is a rich man who is used to getting his own way. For twenty years he has been searching for the elusive Spectre Island, which only appears in the South Indian Ocean at rare moments, and now it has appeared. Joseph has to race his rival to land a team of experts on an island that has many secrets and where nobody knows exactly what to expect. Perhaps they should have brought bigger boats and more weapons....

I love dinosaurs and I was so keen to read this Lost World sounding book, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. There is no slow start or messing about as the team meet and connect with each other on the plane journey to where they get on the boats and from there the action is pretty much non stop. There are no huge info dumps about each person on the team, just a short few lines about why each has been selected. You know it is going to be a blood filled dinosaur romp when they have to get by a megalodon to even reach the island, which was an exciting moment early in the book. I LOVE sharks and the bigger the better! I know you are desperate to know about the dinosaurs we meet on the island so let me give you a sneak preview. There are raptors, pterosaurs, and of course T Rex! Lovely!

There were a good range of characters led by paranormal TV presenter Colt McKinnon, our down on his luck hero. He's a guy you can like and root for and he is very capable. Other than him, my favourite was Leslie the paleontologist, who was able to tell them exactly what was chasing them and what was about to kill them! I also liked former Yakuza man Liu Hamasaki who is the ultimate tough guy in pressure situations. I think the author spends just enough time on the characters to give you an idea of who they are, without drowning you in information about them.

Joseph is quite interesting and there is more to him than being a rich fanatic. I do have to question some of Joseph's actions though. If he has been searching so long for this island and racing a rival to get there first, why was he not better prepared? He was ready to pay all the team members and get them flown to the boats so why was he not prepared with weapons and supplies? Why not have better boats, more people, proper security? I suppose he was in such a hurry to get there as fast as possible and not thinking everything through. Or maybe the author was determined to make it tougher for the poor team! Who knows!

I liked the way the author tells the story. The story is simple and flows nicely, without being over descriptive or slow. In other words we get a small amount of background information that we need and the author then gets on with the story, which suits me fine. When they get to the boats and then the island it is a rollercoaster ride of scary dinosaurs and running for their lives! That is what I hope for when I pick up these books and it is exactly what I got.  

Read October 2016. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

8 comments:

  1. Great review - sounds like a fun read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good dino fun with lots of running and death!

      Delete
  2. You had me at the cover. Going to go check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second book has less dinosaur stuff but I still enjoyed the tension of the plot.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize it was a series. I added both books to my cart along with his shark book. Have you read Kathryn Meyers Griffith's Dinosaur Lake Series. I also loved Steve Alten's Meg series. The movie comes out this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Megatooth just recently and it was a really good read. I like this author! I have the Meg series but haven't read them yet but I found KMG book way too slow to get to the action. Looking forward to the Meg film! And I have a book called Hotel Megalodon which sounds good!

      Delete
  4. Ooh pterosaurs... I always love a Lost World type story and this one sounds fabulous. To be honest I don't see very many of these anymore but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Glad it was awesome.

    And pterosaurs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these dinosaur type ones I find are usually a pound or two on Kindle and are self published/Indie. There are some poor ones but when you find the decent ones it's a lot of fun!

      Delete