Thursday, 19 January 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #2: Westeros


Before we hit the serious topics I wanted to start with a look at Westeros itself and places we visited in season one. All photos used below in this post are of the pop-up guide to Westeros which I got in the Black Friday sales a couple of years ago along with a few action figures! 


Here we have Samwell and Ghost at The Wall. Can you actually imagine the security of your country being handed over to criminals and unwanted sons, most of whom only chose to go there rather than die or be disinherited in some way? It's a pretty scary concept isn't it? I would love to see The Wall if it existed for real-the scale of it is incredible...might get vertigo with the view from the top. Seems ironic that Tyrion Lannister's first idea is to piss over the side of it...! Would you like to see The Wall and Castle Black? Would you join The Night's Watch? I'm too much a coward myself...


Here is Ghost at Winterfell. This is the part of Westeros that I might feel most at home. I relate to the values of the Starks, I LOVE wolves, I would rather wear the warm furs than a fancy dress, Winter is a time of year that I can put up with better than hot summers...I can see myself at Winterfell, sitting reading by that gorgeous tree and pool, enjoying the solitude. How would you cope with living there? Do you like the idea of having your own wolf? I'd love a whole tribe of them! I love the whole look of that amazing Castle!


King's Landing and the Court is one part of Westeros that would never have appealed to me. I very much identify with Arya Stark in that I'm not a girlie girl so I'd hate wearing those big fancy dresses, and I would not enjoy Court life with the scandal and intrigue especially under Lannister rule. I don't like the idea of being told to marry, and ending up with idiots like Joffrey! I would not feel happy or comfortable here as things like jousts don't appeal. Do you like the idea of being at King's Landing with all the tournaments and celebrations? Would you like to be dressed in fancy clothes and invited to Royal events? 


The Eyrie is absolutely stunning from a scenic point of view and I really love the interior with those big sweeping staircases and pretty gardens. The whole Moon Door thing scares me though...I'd be too busy reading some day and fall through the darn thing! I don't much like the idea of being ruled by Lysa and her son but I wouldn't greatly mind living here if I was in command of it. It looks like a pretty safe place to be during a war with its defences. What do you think about living here?


I used to ride horses as a kid under supervision but wasn't confident enough to keep doing it. I loved the smell of the horse, the warmth on his coat on a summer day...but I don't really see me as being Dothraki material y'know? I'd love to be able to speak the language though. I'm not cut out for hot desert living or raiding. Does this appeal to you?

For an added bit of fun, I tried a bit of name generator fun:
http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/namegen/14783#.WICP5VzE_ct 

As a knight I would be Alyn Blacktyde, fighting on the side of Balon Greyjoy in his rebellion. That is kind of accurate as I have always been drawn to the water. What is dead may never die!

As a bastard I would be Alyn Flowers, again associated with an island lifestyle by the water. I can live with that! The other two options I didn't bother with.



10 comments:

  1. We really have a lot in common. I have to do business casual for work, but on my own, would never dress up to the extent they do in GoT. I've also always figured I'd be a Stark. I love wolves and would definitely want one of my own. Heck, it could even sleep on the bed at night as I would need extra warmth. Mr. Barb LOVES the Night Watch and says that is probably where he would want to be. On the plus side, he'd also like to battle the "ice zombies" or whatever they are technically called. I think Dani is really cool and while I wouldn't do well in a desert, it would be cool to ride her dragons. I generated my name and I'd be Barristan Waters. Sounds like an alternative band name to me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we could be in neighbouring castles! Take our dire wolves for a walk together, while Mr Barb kills some White Walkers...! Between your wolves and Mr Barb's sword, nobody would be messing with you! Jon Snow is welcome to live in my castle anytime-purely for my protection of course! Barristan Waters does sound like a band doesn't it!

      Delete
  2. OMG GoT! Can't never get enough of it. I would definitely NOT join the wall. I can't function under 50 degrees LOL same goes for the Eyrie. Everything about it give me the creeps. "make him fly mom!" UGH little creeper. I WOULD HAVE 1,000 Ghosts if I could. I'm in love with ghost! my family had a big ranch and I used to ride horses often. LOVED IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a creepy little sod wasn't he? Imagine being married to him! Ugh! Maybe with your horse history you could be a secret dothraki...with a few wolves for company of course!

      Delete
  3. I would most definitely fall through the moon door as well. Probably on day 1, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be a bit paranoid about checking it was closed, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. I would love to look out over the north from the Wall... although vertigo. Yeah! There is some really awesome art out there too depicting the Wall, and the view... really gets you thinking. And I agree about Winterfell. I want to roam the wolf forest and enjoy the solitude, hang out in the godswood.

    The Eyrie would definitely be worth checking out. I think the whole Vale is actually a pretty neat palce. And Pyke- I love the thought of the booming surf, the spray, slippery rope bridges lol... image wise I'd love to see it!

    Love the names you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many amazing landscapes in Westeros to enjoy! If I could have the whole area around Winterfell moved to look over the water, that would be perfect! Sadly I don't get time to look at all the online art but I can imagine how good some of it would be!

      Delete
  5. Good point on your comment about the Wall being manned by criminals and unwanted sons who only chose that route as so not to be executed or disinherited! Though I have a feeling taking the black used to be more honorable, based on the the kind of great men like Jeor Mormont and Benjen Stark they had as the "old guard" there.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Jeor and Benjen...they do feel like men of honour from a different time. Like what you imagine knights to be. I love the scenes at The Wall because of the wildness and scale of the area and how the men all have to put differences aside to stay alive.

      Delete