Thursday, 12 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: Hounded by Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid #1)


Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.


My Review: 
Atticus, last of the Druids, runs an occult shop in Arizona and is in hiding after a Celtic God decides he wants to obtain his magic sword. Morrigan, goddess of war warns Atticus that he is in mortal danger as his enemies are closing in on him and plots are happening. With her advice, his werewolf and vampire lawyers and his faithful wolfhound Oberon, Atticus has to worry about his enemies finding him and a coven of witches who want to hire him to do a potion against the same Celtic God.

This was a great book! Atticus is a character that you can really like. He looks like a young man but is an experienced Druid who deals in earth type magic and is constantly on guard in case his hiding place is discovered. He has friends and contacts who are gods and goddesses and his faithful dog Oberon who he can communicate mentally with. Oh I love Oberon! He is a dog obsessed by orgies with French poodles and what is for dinner, but becomes a target when he is framed for murder on a sheep hunt. Atticus is determined to hide his friend safely until he can prove him innocent. The relationship between the two is touching and full of very funny dialogue.

There are other excellent supporting characters. I liked Morrigan, who is the nearest thing to a friend and ally that Atticus has. I love his Irish neighbour Mrs MacDonagh who hates the British with a passion! She is very funny and belongs in an episode of Father Ted! When she witnesses Atticus killing an enemy, she is quite relaxed about it when Atticus lies that he was British. Her response is "have y' buried the fecking tea bag yet?" and insists on the burial being in her garden! She is brilliant and I hope to see more of her in future books. There are quite a few Celtic gods and goddesses popping up in the story and even those friendly to Atticus seem to be using him for their own agenda, which keeps things interesting.

There is lots of excellent action and a variety of monsters in the book as well. Atticus has to fight the vicious Fir Bolgs along with his vampire lawyer Leif in the middle of the street, giving his obnoxious nosy neighbour the chance to call the police on Atticus. The whole scene starting with Mrs MacDonagh and ending with the Fir Bolgs was so well written and exciting. There are Ghoul clean up teams, the coven representative who hates Atticus and keeps trying to trick him into trouble, the angry werewolf pack who are searching for missing pack members, demons and a barmaid Atticus fancies who shares her body with an Indian witch called Laksha. On the action side of thing, I loved the final big battle and all the plot twists that occur in the book.

It is a good mix of urban fantasy and various mythologies with lots of action and humour. There are also several stories entwined here-the Laksha story where she is seeking freedom from the barmaid's body, the witch coven and their plan, the kidnapped werewolves, Atticus and his Celtic enemies...but the stories are all connected and flow together in one excellent narrative. I love the action, the funny bits, the mythology and the characters, especially the brilliant Oberon with his food and poodle fantasies! In fact, there is nothing about this book that I didn't like.

I recommend this book for fans of urban fantasy, mythology, magic and fantasy. 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Mrs. MacDonagh sounds awesome. Everyone needs a neighbor that will help you hide the bodies. Great review and I am thrilled you love this series. Can't wait to start it. I'm thinking March is looking good to binge a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good characters and you will go mad for Oberon! Best dog EVER! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the series.

      Delete
  2. wow a five starts with druids werewolves and demons! THAT'S SO MY STUFF!!! I have to ad this one to GR! Great review thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and I hope you enjoy the series! I have got to find myself an Oberon! A talking beagle would be cool...

      Delete
  3. I may need to read this for Oberon. Damn, I am NEVER going to make a dent in my tbr :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that every single day! However many I manage to read, I always end up with a ton more on wishlist...!

      Delete
  4. He shape-shifts to hunt with his dog, that's awesome, haha. He just sounds like a really character in general! His dog sounds great too. I've read a duology in which the MC could communicate mentally with his dog, and it was fun. This sounds great! Another one for the TBR lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much enjoyed catching up with the series at the end of last year. I love the relationship between Atticus and Oberon and all the funny things they talk about!

      Delete
  5. One of these days I really have to catch up with this series. I love the humor, but sometimes it can be really over the top and I took a break from it after book 2 or 3 and I haven't had the chance to go back. Recently I did read the novella that's written Oberon's POV though, that was a blast!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Oberon's book yet...I'm vainly waiting on it to come down in price!

      Delete