Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Vampires in Film and TV


I do love a good vampire film or TV series! There is such a wide range of vampires to enjoy, whatever your particular taste is! Whether you like them seductive and shiny or scary and evil, there is nothing quite like the vampire!

Lets take a quick look at the historical vampire, those iconic images of the vampires I remember seeing on TV when I was young. We have that seriously creepy piece of film of Nosferatu that freaked me out every time I saw it, the Dracula that I loved on the TV played by Christopher Lee, and the creepy Mr Barlow from Salems Lot. *shudder*


The Hammer Horror Dracula films really got me interested in vampires and I grabbed books that interested me to feed this obsession. Ironically two of the best loved vampire books did not grab my interest when I read them-Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' and Anne Rice 'Interview with the Vampire'.  I never lost my film love and in the 80's and 90's I watched a lot of vampires!




But of course the BIG vampire event for me was Buffy the Vampire Slayer! I didn't think much of the film as I think the casting was badly wrong but I quickly became addicted to the TV series. I loved season 2 as it had so many great episodes and then I loved the plot at the end of season 5. Season 4 had a few guff episodes but 7 is the one that I felt was the let down season with Buffy being a bitch all the time. Favourite episodes include Hush, The Wish, Once more with feeling, Halloween, Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered, Band Candy, The Body, Tabula Rasa, The Gift, Intervention. Fave characters-Giles, Xander, Anya, Cordelia and Spike! I liked the first couple of seasons of Angel until it did angry Connor and evil Cordy. I never much liked Fred either! I did love Wesley and Lorne though...


After Buffy and Angel, there were more vampires everywhere which was great but not all lived up to expectations! I was very disappointed in the Twilight films which just seemed bland and boring to me. I didn't watch beyond the third film. I never took to the True Blood series either. There are some TV series with vampires that I hope to catch up with at some point:



What are your favourite vampire films and TV series? Have you watched any of these? Any other recommendations for us?

12 comments:

  1. When it comes to vampires, TVD is my bae ;) I just love Damon, Stefan, and Elena's dynamic <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly plan to take a look at it at some point-so many things to read and watch!

      Delete
  2. I love The Lost Boys, Vampires and Dusk to Dawn. You really should give The Strain a try. It's Mr. Barb's favorite series. I keep meaning to give the Dusk to Dawn series a try. Maybe eventually. There's not enough time to do all the watching and all the reading. I think I've caught an episode or two of Van Helsing and it didn't seem to bad but never really caught on for me. I enjoyed True Blood but the further the seasons went, the worse it got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the season one boxset of The Strain and I definitely watch to watch that. I can't believe the number of series I need to start or complete...the list would frighten you! I'm a bit bummed that I never liked True Blood because I wanted to love it!

      Delete
  3. Hush is my all-time favorite Buffy episode. Soooo creepy and unique! You must see Near Dark, if you haven't already. I didn't like The Originals, the Vampire Diaries spinoff. I found it boring but perhaps it's improved? I chucked it after a season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Hush...the scene where Giles is trying to explain about The Gentlemen and everyone is miming was comedy gold! I wouldn've give anything more than a season if I didn't like it. In fact I quit Heroes after four episodes as it wasn't going anywhere fast.

      Delete
  4. It's weird, I love reading about vampires, but I've seen very few shows or movies about them. I think Interview might've been the first vampire movie I saw, and from there I decided to read the book. I've also seen the Queen of the Damned movie, but it wasn't very good and didn't even remotely match the book. And I've a few seasons of True Blood, but that was mostly because it was available on Amazon Prime, and I was bored lol. Oh, I have seen the Underworld movies, or one of them at least. Can't remember if I've seen any other vampire movies or shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was trying to think of more, I was struggling. There were cult ones or those dodgy 80s erotic ones which I avoided but not as many as I remember. My dad hated Queen of the Damned so I never felt the urge to watch it thankfully! I've tried twice to watch True Blood but characters I liked in the books were morons in the series ie Tara and Jason. It was all sex and nothing else! I still haven't seen Underworld yet which is pretty shocking!

      Delete
  5. Ahh, how I loved Buffy and Angel back when I was a teen. And Charmed as well. They don't make TV like that any more. I haven't seen The Lost Boys in years! I remember how creepy it was when I seen it as a barely teen, I might get out the DVD this weekend. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Chuckles <3 Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much want to watch Buffy and Angel again but I have too much to get done right now! I'm glad you are enjoying Vampire Week!

      Delete
  6. I love the original Fright Night - one of the greatest horror flicks of the 80s - and Buffy was essential TV watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved everything about Fright Night and that puts me off watching the remake, especially as I'm not a fan of Colin Farrell. I so much want to watch Buffy again but need to focus on stuff I haven't watched yet!

      Delete