Saturday, 28 January 2017

Stacking the Shelves #166


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over the way DISQUS does. So if you use DISQUS, I can't leave comments on your page so I can't follow you back, sorry! (see below why I say NO)

Authorize DISQUS to use your account?
Disqus is a service and tool for web comments and discussions.
This application will be able to:
*Read Tweets from your timeline.
*See who you follow, and follow new people.
*Update your profile.
*Post Tweets for you.


I'm noticing that some blogs set with Google Plus are trying to force you to open a Google Plus or Facebook account before you can leave a comment. Well, I have no interest in rejoining Google Plus or joining Facebook so if your blog uses this set up, I won't be following it or commenting! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me so there might not be a message from me some weeks or you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
 
This has not been the greatest week for getting things done. The trouble I had with Netgalley this week (see the Netgalley post for details) meant I had to read the 550 page book they sent on that Adobe Digital Editions piece of rubbish on the computer. I had to abandon three whole mornings that I usually use for answering blog comments, blog visits and putting together posts for my blog to get it read. I also lost some afternoon time trying to get the book finished in three days so I could get back to normal. Gah! The two books sent were good but it was not worth a whole week of hassles getting ADE set up and reading one poor pdf copy with a magnifying glass on Kobo and the other having to be read on ADE. Not worth it for a free copy! So sadly there was no Cover Love, Game of Thrones gossip or discussion post this week and not much in the way of reviews! This coming week will be back to normal!
 
On the reading side of things, I'm still going along at great pace as I plough through the ebooks this month and the tbr is dropping! Not a great drop but it's going in the right direction! As you expect with freebies and bargain books from various sites, there were a lot of disappointing reads but the good ones made up for it. I have also reigned in my book buying for the moment and I'm starting to look at all the author newsletters I subscribed to as part of the giveaway competitions, unsubscribing from those who only write contemporary romance, teen angst YA or sex filled paranormal romance as those aren't my genres. Those who write urban fantasy, dystopia, horror, sci-fi or fantasy I'll keep getting the newsletters until I read the books and then narrow it down a bit for less email! As we approach February I will continue my ebook blitz but will also get started on a series catch up. Yea!
 
DOWNLOADS:
Thank you to the authors for providing these books through their email offers-some were free and the rest discounted but I don't remember which is which!
 
 
 
 
 
And I also grabbed a few books I wanted to read in the apocalypse and monsters genres! These were grabbed free or cheap on Amazon and other sites!
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 

40 comments:

  1. So sorry you had a bad week :( I can totally imagine how frustrating and disheartening that must have been.
    I hope you enjoy those books, they look great! I especially like the covers for Autumn Winters and Magic Awakening :)

    Hope you have a fantastic week ahead!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a good selection this week...interesting plots and some great covers!

      Delete
  2. I hate the epub format, too, where I have to read either on my iPad (which is HUGE, as I use it for teaching) or on the computer. I have even sent feedback on NetGalley stating I couldn't read that format, so that it wouldn't affect my feedback ratio. It's too bad they don't let us know in advance if they don't use kindle format for their eARCs. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :D

    You got some very nice-looking books this week, Chuckles, and I sure hope you'll enjoy them. Magic Awakening, especially, stands out to me.

    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like epub which is the format I use for everything except books bought from Amazon-never really had a problem with it to be honest! My problems this week were faulty pdf and acsm files and being unable to download mobi files without WIFY.I'm pleased with the books I got this week as they look good!

      Delete
  3. I hate the epub format as well, as it means i have to use my nook or IPAD. I wish they would tell us which format the e-arc is before we request it. I totally agree with you. Or if it's Adobe PDF.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea that I hate epubs as I never said that! My problems were with pdf and acsm!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad week! That sounds really frustrating! I hope next week is better for you and you enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm tired, miserable and a bit fed up!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your NetGalley problems. You win the medal for getting things done. I would have probably just decided to not read the book if the only place I could do it was my computer. Nobody wants to read on a computer. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't wanted to read Anne Boleyn so much I would've given up! It stopped me getting to visit blogs a lot of this week so I think I have a bit of catch up to do today!

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of Loch Ness Revenge. Anything involving "Nessie" makes a good read, I think. May Contain Magic sounds good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's good! I need a decent Loch Ness monster horror book in my collection! I really want to get up to Loch Ness this year...living just hours away and never having time to go there is kind of frustrating!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, I'm sorry to hear about your terrible week and tech struggles. I dislike it when publishers don't allow for the "send to Kindle" option on NetGalley, and the ebook has to be opened only with ADE. I have ADE and it's really not so bad to use but I'd much prefer my Kindle.

    I hope you enjoy all of your new books! Lots of new ones this week!

    Have a fabulous weekend. :)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books did have a Kindle option but I can't use it because I don't get good WIFY in my area. That really bugs me-just send it to the darn Kindle already!!! I hate constant battles with stupid WIFY. Hopefully some good new reads will cheer me up!

      Delete
  8. Yeah the Netgalley thing is ridiculous, sorry that was such a pain. But looks like you're still kicking butt on the ebooks. :) Autumn Winters and Loch Ness revenge looks fun. Nesssie lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not worth it just to try the odd book before it gets published! I'll stick to my nice epub and mobi files on my ereaders! I'm hoping for some good scary Nessie fun!

      Delete
  9. Ugh, the Netgalley stuff sounds like a pain. I've got mine all set up now, so it mostly goes fine, but it can be so annoying. Especially when they have horrible formats -- I don't know why they even bother.

    Hope the new books are good, and that you have a better week next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take the risk of receiving any more files that can only be read on the computer. I just don't have the time and energy to read on the computer! I'm hoping for less stress this week for sure!

      Delete
  10. Wow another week full of books! Some of these covers look interesting, I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every week is full of books it seems! The books do look intriguing so I have high hopes!

      Delete
  11. Helldivers! I've been curious about this book for a long time, and actually it is the daily deal today at Audible. I think I'm going to get it :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look interesting and I've tried a zombie book by the author. I liked the way he put that story together so I hope I like this one.

      Delete
  12. Same here. I do not reading through ADE or on my computer in general. Much prefer ebooks on my ereader as well. Have a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When authors used to send me review copies, I got the odd pdf with small writing but most were good epubs I could use on my Kobo. Why do publishers have to make it all so complicated?!!!

      Delete
  13. I grabbed Hell Divers and the first 6 on your list all look great. If you like them, I may add them as well. Great haul and looking forward to next week's posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the sound of JA Cipriano's work. I have about 7 books to read and I think I only paid for one which is pretty good going! Hell Divers seems to be getting a lot of people excited!

      Delete
  14. Looks like you got some good reads in your haul this week! Enjoy. You can find my post for StS here if you'd like to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for some of these books! Some great covers too which is a bonus. I'm a bit behind on reviews though so I need to get moving a bit!

      Delete
  15. I hope you enjoy your new books! Good luck with managing your book buying. I’m trying really hard to get rid of books and not acquire a thousand new ones.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Managing might not be the best word! *giggles* Very slight reduction is perhaps more accurate! The newsletters have dropped a bit so things should calm down and I've purchased the new additions to series I follow...maybe I'll buy less in February...um...yeah...

      Delete
  16. Oh my gosh, I hate those pdf files that are so hard to read! I hate when that is the only format I can get. It makes me so not want to read it. I totally feel your pain on that one. Hopefully like you said, this week will be better! I had to go add the Loch Ness monster book to my Goodreads TBR list. I always love stories about that. Have you read Loch by Steve Alten? Can't remember if I've seen it on your blog before. He is one of my favorite authors. Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post on Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a nightmare on the eyes aren't they! Actually I haven't read anything of Steve Alten yet but I do have the Meg series on Kindle. Ooh just checked out Loch and I love the cover! It's been added to wishlist! Thanks Lisa!

      Delete
  17. I see you grabbed Hunter Shea's book. I liked it. I always grab his books in print when they're released. Gots to love those creature stories. Going to check out a few others you shared today! There goes my TBR challenge. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to grab quite a few...at some point I might have to have monster month to get all these great sounding books read. Hmmm, maybe The Monster Month of March...My head explodes every time I think about controlling the Beast that is the tbr but I am going to make progress this year!

      Delete
  18. If I were you and had to struggle that much to read those books, I just wouldn't have read them. I'd have sent my response in saying I was unable to review the books because of the formatting.

    I just put Hell Divers on my TBR this week! I might read it next, actually, since Hoopla has the ebook. It sounds amazing. A lot of the books you got this week look great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't be struggling through any more, that's for sure! If I hadn't wanted to read them both so bad I would have given up. I'm so glad they were both good or that would've really annoyed me! I think a few people are grabbing Hell Divers so I hope we all like it!

      Delete
  19. I'm sure you'll have a much better week without that Netgalley trouble. Sometimes free just isn't worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It did help me decide to buy the Tudor Queens series...I hadn't been sure whether to get them or not so getting one free helped me decide...but in future, I'll just avoid any dodgy file chaos and forget about ARCs!

      Delete
  20. Lots of great looking new books. And I'm going to go check out that post on NetGalley. I struggle with them, but I don't think it's as bad as what you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lottery as to what kind of file you are going to end up with and it's too much of a risk for me to keep doing it. Technology is never my friend!

      Delete