Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

Please note that I do not allow third party companies like DISQUS access to my blog or social media so if you use that, I can't follow you or comment on your blog or posts. Sorry!

I've not found the topics greatly inspiring over the last two months with so much emphasis on Thanksgiving, Christmas gifts and upcoming new releases. This week it's releases in 2016 we didn't get to but plan to read-and I'm not interested in that either. I don't pay much attention to what is coming up-I grab them as they interest me. So I guess I'll look at ten books I didn't get time to read last year but will read this year.

1) Cynthia Hand-My Lady Jane
I searched for this book all summer and couldn't find it and when I got it at a good price, I wasn't able to fit it into my reading schedule last year. I love the sound of this and hope it lives up to the hype as I love The Tudors and urban fantasy type stuff!  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22840421-my-lady-jane 

2) Sonya Bateman-Wrong Side of Hell
I enjoyed her Gavyn Donetti djinn books and wanted to start on this urban fantasy series about talking corpses, fae, shifters and magic. Yes to all of that! There are about five in the series so far so I want to read book one soon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28683761-wrong-side-of-hell

3) Jack Kilborn-Trapped
I LOVED Afraid and really want to read this and the next book as surviving characters appear in book four together. Afraid was one of the best horrors I've read so looking forward to trying more of this author's work.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7487212-trapped  

4) Matt Wallace-Envy of Angels
Ever since this was recommended on a favourite blog, (Barb I think?) I've been so curious about this but keep forgetting to look at it. Described as Hell's Kitchen meets The Dresden Files is enough to have me curious and it's different sounding.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25819511-envy-of-angels

5) Rob Thurman-Nightlife
This is an urban fantasy series I want to fully catch up with this year and it sounds a bit like Supernatural! I started the first book and was really liking it but something happened and I never finished it, which is strange. Keen to get back into it. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/421007.Nightlife 

6) Carrie Vaughn-Kitty and the Midnight Hour
I read and liked the first book years ago and have all the books but I need to do a full series blitz and finally get these read. I'll be started with a re-read of this first one and then reading the rest of the books. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14461.Kitty_and_the_Midnight_Hour 

7) Jennifer Estep-Spiders Bite
This is another long series where I've only read the first book and NEED to catch up now! I read book one years ago and enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to getting back into it and getting caught up at some point this year! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6611038-spider-s-bite 

8) Rachel Caine-Glass Houses
I read and loved this book a good few years ago and have all the books but never got to book two! I need to re-read this one and do a series binge to complete the series. My dad loved this series and I hope I do too!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6667618-glass-houses 

9) SD Perry-Resident Evil series 
A series of novels based on the Resident Evil franchise and I'm keen to see what has been done with it. Mutated monsters and zombies! Yay! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13642250-resident-evil 

10) E Knight-My Lady Viper
This is the first book I've seen from the Tudor times that tells the story through the eyes of the fascinating Anne Seymour. I am so looking forward to getting this one read!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18483615-my-lady-viper 

26 comments:

  1. You have a nice variety here! Tutor times, Resident Evil, Supernatural-esque, shifters, etc. Sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you are able to get to them all soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much want to get these books dealt with-some of them are long overdue!

      Delete
  2. I highly recommend Matt Wallace's series (Envy of Angels). They are so funny and addicting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I find them funny! I don't usually do so well with humour but I'm hopeful for this series. I'm hearing a lot of good things about it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I need to read My Lady Jane too and of course, you know how I feel about the Matt Wallace books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was your blog that I saw it on! My memory isn't the greatest at the best of times...I really do like the sound of that. My Lady Jane needs to be high priority for me this year as everyone seems to enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Hmm most of these are new to me- must investigate!- but I do know the Nightlife series and I've been curious. As part of my quest to read more urban fantasy that one has popped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* You'll be seeing lots of urban fantasy appearing on my retro reads and my book reviews as I catch up!

      Delete
  5. I'm really looking forward to My Lady Jane. It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? I just hope it lives up to the hype as I really want to like it!

      Delete
  6. I have a few of these on my TBR list. I hope to get to Envy of Angels some time this year. I hope you love all of these once you get a chance to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard such good things about this series from Barb and Mogsy...I want to try and get to it this month if possible as part of the ebook blitz. I'm doing well to get through my reads at the moment and I want to read this as priority.

      Delete
  7. Most of these titles are new to me, but I recognize quite a few authors I haven't read before but would really like to try, including Rob Thurman, Jennifer Estep, and Carrie Vaughan. The one book I've read is Envy of Angels though, and I highly recommend it!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got too many unread urban fantasy that I knew I had to start making that priority. I tried two of these authors back around 2011 or so but never got back to the series which is pretty poor by me!

      Delete
  8. I feel like all the TTT topics lately have been practically the same thing. Not that I do TTT anymore, but it makes it hard to even comment. Anyway, I've been really wanting to try the Matt Wallace series too! And yes, every time Barb reviews another in the series it just rubs it in my face that I still haven't even started, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. The topics are geared to Americans with family who celebrate all the holidays. For me, having no interest in holidays or new book releases, i've had to think up my own topics over the festive period. Maybe we can both read Matt Wallace and enjoy it this year! I hope to read it before the end of the month!

      Delete
  9. I’ve heard of a few of these books/series in the past. I hope you get to get to enjoy all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get them read this year! They've been sitting on my shelves way too long and I feel if I don't get them done this year, I'll never do it!

      Delete
  10. I haven't read any of these others but think I just found a few more to add to my wishlist ;) That talking corpse one, especially. I hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you supposed to be reducing your books?! *giggles*

      Delete
  11. Oh man, I need to read the Carrie Vaughn series too. *ponders if I can fit the first couple of books in my suitcase somehow*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how long ago I read the first book. If I can deal with a few of these massive series this year it helps the tbr reduction and it makes other series catchups look more manageable!

      Delete
  12. Ugh. There are so many books I need to get to, I couldn't do a top ten list of them. lol. Some of your books are on my shelves waiting for me as well. :) Hope you get to them this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to! I've put off these long series for far too long and it doesn't get easier to get started on them!

      Delete
  13. I like the look of number 4, I really enjoy the Dresden files and badly need to finish that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound really good! I plan to read this one this month if I can get through all the books I've already planned for January. It looks good so far so fingers crossed I can get to it!

      Delete