Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads #5: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

My Review:
My book of the year so far! (when I originally reviewed it) Cat is half vampire half human,a result of her mother being raped by a newly turned vampire. Now she is out seducing and staking vampires in revenge, hoping to eventually kill her dad-until the night that one is too fast and captures her. Bounty hunting vampire Bones soon realises what Cat is and that they would make a good team in hunting the evil vampires together. He decides to train her and harness her skills to kill the evil vampires. When their relationship changes Cat fears her mother's reaction and Bones fears for Cat's safety as they come up against very dangerous vampires.

This was just brilliant! Cat is a great fiesty, kickass, smart mouthed half vampire who has been taught to hate her vampire side by her angry mother Justina. She is a great character.  She is troubled by her family history and wants her evil father dead but is afraid to use her vampire skills for anything other than death-and she barely knows what she is doing when she tries to attack the latest vampire she meets. As plans go, it isn't the best in the world and Cat senses that if she dies doing this, her mother won't be greatly upset that the abomination is dead.


Bones is wonderful-sexy, smart, witty and the perfect match for Cat. When I see him in my mind I get an instant picture of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and he is so like him! Maybe that's why I love him so much! He is funny, snarky, smart and resourceful and determined to train Cat despite her obvious weaknesses. The ups and downs of their relationship had me hooked and I normally shy away from the PNR side of vampire books, as too much love and sex bores me in novels. The fact that I loved their steamy romance shows how well written it was. There was plenty action to keep UF fans happy and lots of vampires. The side characters were also well written and were a perfect fit for the plot. Bones best friend Spade is a good character and I liked him instantly.

The humour was superb-Timmy's impression of a God fearing demon hunter (
“We're going to knock those demons out and slay them with the power of Jesus. Hallelujah, can I get an amen?) and Bones 'dirty talk' lecture had me in stitches. Cat's mother was entertaining as well in her own way as she has plenty to say when disapproving of her daughter. There were a lot of laughs through the book, usually when Bones was getting annoyed with Cat for messing up! It kind of reminds me of the Riggs-Murtaugh relationship in Lethal Weapon with Cat accidently killing everyone and driving Bones mad.


"Lucifer's bouncing balls kitten, not again!"

There is lots of kickass action and vampire hunting going on which is perfect with the humour and the character development that the author does so well. It is one of the best urban fantasy series that I've read-and I've read it a good few times now. This book is sexy, full of action and adventure, witty, funny and sad. The perfect vampire read! I recommend this book to fans of kickass urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

First Read April 2010. 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

8 comments:

  1. You know, I think I lack two books of finishing reading this series. When it was being released, I devoured it and then I started reading other things. I agree that their relationship and banter is one of the best things about the books. They might be worth a re-read someday just so I can complete the series. This is one of the series that started my urban fantasy kick. Before then, I wasn't even aware it was its own genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Ian...he gets better as the books go on. I only liked one of the spin offs, the first one with Spade. I didn't like the others which was a pity but they went too much to PNR and not enough UF for my liking.

      Delete
  2. I read the first few books and then got distracted by other things. Thanks for the reminder to get back to it. Though, at this point, I may need to reread the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Cat and Bones! I could strangle Tate quite happily though-he is an arse. Without him, the books would be even better!

      Delete
  3. I have so much love for this series! I really enjoyed each installment and hope to re-read them at some point in the future. I am glad you enjoyed this one when you read it as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice to see a TV series...with the right cast of course. I love this series!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an amazing series! I love strong and feisty female characters who lead by example. The humour is just a bonus. Brilliant review Chuckles, so glad you enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has all of that! Loved every book in the series!

      Delete