Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

Please note that I do not allow third party companies like DISQUS access to my blog or social media so if you use that, I can't follow you or comment on your blog or posts. Sorry!

This week is Top Ten Debuts of 2017...well, I'm not greatly waiting on many books and I have no idea what debuts are out this year so it's time to do something different. As it is Vampire Week at The Book Cave, l wanted to do something fang related. So how about Top Ten Vampires you might not have read! 

1) F Paul Wilson-The Keep
A Jewish mythology expert is brought in to aid a Nazi unit whose people are being murdered at a remote castle in the mountains. Nazis, vampires and WWII setting? Intriguing!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62571.The_Keep

2) Michael Rowe-Enter, Night
A sleepy old mining town is about to face a 300 year old vampire that has arisen. Regarded as old school vampire novel like Salems Lot.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11515975-enter-night

3) John Steakley-Vampire$
This is the book that John Carpenters Vampires was based on and I loved that film so I'm certainly going to read this one!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/843588.Vampire_ 

4) Philip Henry-Vampire Dawn
I read the second book in the trilogy thinking it was standalone so want to read it in order now. Vampires battle against vampire hunters seeking to destroy them.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7130820-vampire-dawn

5) George RR Martin-Fevre Dream
A vampire in the steamboat era seeks to reunite his race with the humans.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/382450.Fevre_Dream 

6) Robert R McCammon-They Thirst
Legions of vampires start to slowly take over Los Angeles. My dad owned this but I never got round to reading it!  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/462658.They_Thirst 

7) Tanya Huff-Smoke and Shadows
In a spin-off series from her Vicki Nelson books, Tony Foster teams up with Henry Fitzroy, vampire, to take on evil monsters. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/338121.Smoke_and_Shadows 

8) Catherine Jinks-The Reformed Vampire Support Group
Every Tuesday a vampire support group meets to discuss their issues until one is killed. Now the most useless vampires ever need to stay alive and solve the crime. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5266733-the-reformed-vampire-support-group 

9) John G Hartness-A Hard Days Knight
Two somewhat hapless vampire detectives find themselves in a world of trouble during their latest case. I read and liked this but need to re-read so I can review it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17218099-hard-day-s-knight 

10) Jenna Maclaine-Wages of Sin
A woman pursued by a relentless vampire calls on the help of a group of warrior vampires to protect her. A historical setting but feels urban fantasy. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2658545-wages-of-sin 

22 comments:

  1. Ooh I've not heard of most of these! The John G. Hartness series is on Hoopla though, so I plan to give that one a try this year :-) I love the covers for that series too. The Reformed Vampire one is also on my TBR. I'll have to check out the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted by a few I haven't read yet...figured it'd be nice to include some that were lesser known and old school horror! The Reformed Vampire one was amusing and I have the werewolf follow up to look at.

      Delete
  2. I read The Reformed Vampire Support Group years and years ago, whenever it was that it first came out. I just bought Fevre Dream last year and I'm also pretty sure I've read They Thirst when I was a teen/young adult. Not bad - 3 of 10. Nice list. I'm enjoying your vampire week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read historical vampire things but I am curious about what George RR Martin does with them. Lots more for vampire week to come!

      Delete
  3. Whoa! I had no idea Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin even existed! I may have to check that out...and a few others on this list. I love vampires (but not the kind that sparkle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stumbled upon its existance recently and figured I'd share it on Vampire Week. More reviews and posts to come though so I hope people will find new vampires to try...

      Delete
  4. All of these are new to me and almost all sound interesting! A Hard Day's Knight sounds awesome :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it when I read it but can't remember much about it now! I'll need to re-read that so I can review it and catch up with the series.

      Delete
  5. This is a fun topic! They Thirst and Fevre Dream are awesome picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad really enjoyed They Thirst which has been on his bookshelf for as long as I can remember but I've never read it which seems a bit weird as I've always loved vampires!

      Delete
  6. I don't mind a vampire read! I must check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of lovely vampires this week at The Book Cave!

      Delete
  7. I've thought about Fevre dream since I'm a GRRM fan. And They Thirst- love that title! The Keep sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about The Keep as well. My dad thinks he read it but I certainly haven't. The one thing that puts me off the GRRM book is that I rarely read historical vampires...but I am curious...

      Delete
  8. I think I'll have to pick up GRRM's Fevre Dream, sounds like a good read! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Heather! Hopefully these themed weeks will let us share recs for books and we can all find some new reads to try!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these books! I thought I had read a fair number of vampire books but it looks like I have some work to do. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many vampires, right?! I don't seem to have as many as I remember so either I gave them away *shudders* or they are in boxes hidden somewhere in the house!

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I wish there was an easier way to discover debuts, like maybe publishers should do more to showcase their first-time novelists or something. I had to research and check and recheck for my TTT. I love your alternative though, because who doesn't love vampires? :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the problem...Chuckles was too lazy to go looking for new debuts to try! I've got a few ideas from other blogs now so that gives the wishlist a bit of a boost...

      Delete
  11. *takes notes* Vampires are definitely a place where our tastes cross, it seems! And now I'm really in the mood to reread Cherie Priest's vampire books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love vampires but recently I haven't read any! I need to change that this year and fit in many more monsters!

      Delete