Friday, 6 January 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads #8: The Accidental Vampire by Lynsay Sands


FATE GAVE HER FANGS...
Ever since an accident turned her into a knockout vamp, Elvi Black's been catching her z's in a coffin, staying out of the sun, and giving up garlic. She knows there's more to being undead than what she saw in Dracula, but she can't very well ask her mortal friends about proper biting etiquette. But when her neighbors placed a personal ad for her in the local paper, she never imagined she'd meet Victor Argeneau, a vampire who could have his pick of any woman - dead or alive.

HE'LL SHOW HER HOW TO USE THEM...
Rich, powerful, and drop—dead gorgeous, Victor's the perfect man for a novice neck—biter like Elvi. He's willing to teach her everything he knows, but he'll have to do it fast. Someone's out to put a stake through her new vamp life, and only Victor can keep her safe - and satisfied - for all eternity. 


My Review: 
Elvi is the only vampire in town, fully supported by the townspeople as they feel responsible for her being changed. A dreadful road accident caused her to be accidently changed into a vampire but the people feel sorry for her and do everything they can to look after her. She is trying to live up to the image of a vampire that everyone has of her, even offering a coming of age gift to teenage boys-a birthday bite! But when her friends place an advert looking for a mate appears in the media, it attracts not just vampire fans and other vampires seeking a mate, it brings her to the attention of Victor.

Victor is sent to investigate and pretends to be there to answer the ad, trying to discover if she is a real vampire and if she has broken the rules by biting people. He finds himself there with fellow vampires looking to be Elvi's mate, and starts to become interested in her himself. Now Elvi has some decisions to make about her lovelife with all the attention from the male vampires while trying to deal with protective townspeople and avoid someone trying to kill her...

This book was really great fun...Elvi knows nothing about being a vampire and is quite miserable about the existance she has, alone and sad. She only has the myths and legends about vampires to base her life on and it comes as a shock to her that a lot of the things she believed are wrong. Her vampire suitors are pleased to tell her the truth that she CAN sleep in a bed instead of a coffin, she does have a reflection and can still eat real food for fun! The junk food blitz at the local store is a very funny part to the book as Elvi makes up for lost time, as is the manic nature of her shopping trips! The story of 'who is trying to kill me' is entertaining and leads to some nice whodunnit action in amongst the humour. 


I enjoyed the different personalities of the vampire suitors, who all come to like Elvi as a person and start trying to help her with her everyday life, being protective of her and looking after her. I loved her best friend Mabel who is really funny and won't take any nonsense from the vampires! Her relationship with DJ was a great addition to the story and it added more humour to the plot. It's not a book to be taken seriously as even the romance between Elvi and Victor has it's comic moments but that is why I liked it, despite not really liking the rest of the series. This was more of a lighthearted fun paranormal read than a serious paranormal romance which is why it appealed more to me.

If you like some vampire humour with a sprinkling of mystery and some spicy romance, you could do a lot worse than Elvi. 

Overall a really great book.
Read August 2009. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

8 comments:

  1. I tend to stray away from covers like this and it's probably why I've never picked this up. However, it sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah half naked brooding men on covers put me right off the books! I don't go for these PNR ones but a friend on bookcrossing sent me a copy and I enjoyed the humour and found the romance was fine too so I bought my own copy. Read it a couple of times now!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I have this around here somewhere. If I unearth, it's definitely getting read :)

      Delete
    3. It's funny but I didn't enjoy anything else by the author. I think it was the humour that appealed to me in this one.

      Delete
  2. "Fate gave her fangs" and "proper biting etiquette"- love that. Yeah this isn't a book I'd grab lol based on the cover, but still... a birthday bite?? Ha talk about teen boy wish fulfillment! "Would you give me a little bite?" ha ha. I like the humor sound of this one, and hey if you can still eat food maybe vampirism isn't so bad??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could eat proper food, order my blood in from a vampire mail order company or something and be immortal, I'd sign up to be a vampire today! Yeah I hate these kinds of covers as it screams 'all sex no plot!' and I avoid them like the plague!

      Delete
  3. I have read one of two of the books from this series but it was so long ago that I don't remember which ones. I do remember that the ones I read had some funny moments. I may need to revisit this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually the only one I liked, because of the humour and light mystery plot added in with the paranormal romance. The others were too romancey for me!

      Delete