Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

Please note that I do not allow third party companies like DISQUS access to my blog or social media so if you use that, I can't follow you or comment on your blog or posts. Sorry!

This week is Top Ten Books of 2016. Nope, no can do. I simply cannot pick ten and tomorrow I'm posting my favourite reads of the year post so that would just be repetition. So lets look at the Top Ten successes and failures of 2016!

SUCCESS:
1) I read my 200 book goal on Goodreads. I'm up over 260 reads for the year but I'd love to read more next year.

2) Discovering just how much I love apocalypse dystopia and prepper fiction! I discovered so many great new authors like Darrell Maloney, Franklin Horton, Robert Boren, Nicholas Sansbury Smith...and I look forward to more from them next year!

3) Discovering I have the nose of a bloodhound for hunting down new authors to try, bargain books in my favourite genres and a pile of freebies!

4) Discovering just how awesome Game of Thrones is! HODOR!

5) Catching up with more book series this year than in the previous four years combined! Not that it was difficult to beat one series per year average!

6) Catching up with old book reviews! I'm not fully there but most of that pile I had at the end of last year is gone! Yea! So I have the last three months of reviews which have full notes and will be posted in the first part of 2017 and older gaps on Goodreads that I don't have notes for but intend to deal with soon. I'm getting there!


FAILURES:
1) A complete epic fail as I let my tbr soar to well over 900 books that I physically own either in paperback or ereader. *sigh*

2) Failed to get to my hoped for books read target of 300 books for the first time ever. That stupid summer slump ruined that for me but I'm still happy with my total.

3) No progress at all on losing weight this year. Grrr.

4) Getting the tbr down enough to clear space on my overflowing bookshelves. I still have piles of books sitting around the floor to break my toe on in the middle of the night...

Next week I'll be doing my entertainment goals for next year as the first topic of 2017 doesn't suit me.

26 comments:

  1. :-) It's always nice to read about the successes. Let's hope you can change those failures into successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I need to put some effort into all four this year!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post idea :) Congrats with those successes, and I hope those failures turn to successes next year! But don't be too hard on yourself; the successes outnumber the failures, so yay for that! <3
    Lol about the toe hazard ;) Be careful! Haha
    Thanks for visiting my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could've come up with more failures but that would've been depressing! My house is a health hazard that needs to be tidied, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. It's okay, I've still got you beaten on the TBR front! I'm at over 1,000...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make me feel better! Theses are scary numbers aren't they...!

      Delete
  4. Ohh I love your twist on the topic! Congrats on surpassing your Goodreads goal! I beat mine this year again too. My goal was also 200 books! One of my goals for next year is to read more of the books from my TBR list. I am going to join a Reading Challenge for it. I have the post scheduled for this Thursday. I think it will be a good way to motivate me. We'll see!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea for beating our Goodreads goals! I have GOT to get some buying restraint if I want to reduce my tbrs but I've been saying that for years! I hope my new challenges help motivate me and that you can do the same. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Yay that the successes surpass the failures..But truthfully, all us readers manage to get our TBR looking like ginormous mountains!I hope you get to tackling your TBR soon! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you...if someone did a graph of my tbr movements it would look like the himalayas! This year I AM taking control!

      Delete
  6. It's nice to assess at year's end. Lots of successes for you. Excellent job.

    Here's my Top Ten Books of 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Overall I'm pleased with what I got done this year but more needs to be done next year! Onwards!

      Delete
  7. I also discovered Game of Thrones and binge-watched all of them. Now I understand the hype. I’m not sure if I want to read the books, though. Congrats on beating your Goodreads goal! 260 books is impressive.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared of the hype when I went to watch it but as soon as I hit season 2 an obsession was born! I hope to read the books at some point in the future but only if the author finally writes the rest of them! Come and join us on the GoT discussion posts starting next week-we'd love to have you!

      Delete
  8. What great successes and I'm sure you will accomplish some of what you consider failures in 2017. As for the TBR, I won't even try to get mine under a certain number. I have too much fun discovering new books and hey, the way I see it, it's not hurting anyone :) Can't wait for your GOT discussions to start because I agree - HODOR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is too much fun collecting books!I think it is only hurting my sanity looking at the numbers, but my sanity has always been questionable! The GoT discussions with you guys are going to be so much fun!

      HODOR!

      Delete
  9. HODOR!! lol Glad it was a good reading year. I love apocalyptic/ dystopian stuff but haven't read any prepper stuff per se- I don't think- I may have to give those a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first prepper book I read was Franklin Horton's Borrowed World and his description of the aftermath of an attack scared the whatsits out of me! It did actually scare me! After that I couldn't get enough of them! I even have disaster plans!

      HODOR!

      Delete
  10. Wow, you read over 200 books.... Like I am way impressed!! Happy reading to you in 2017!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually manage about 200 but I think I need to do better this coming year if I want to make a dent in the pile! Happy reading to you too!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a good year overall. Congrats on your Goodreads goal! I love that you are good and finding all of those great freebies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a pretty good reading year other than the summer slump. I need to avoid that this year. Here's to finding more freebies...*rushes over to Amazon*

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about summer but I just feel more tired and lack concentration. It's frustrating when the slump hits you!

      Delete
  13. Wow, you read so much! Congratulations! I always love to have a look and see what new Zombie/Apocalypse/Dystopian novels you recommend ;-)

    That's an impressive TBR you have there :D Sounds like you are ready to own a library!

    Oh and yes.. HODOR! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually fit in about four hours of reading each night but I need to read more through the day next year. Where I'm going to find the time I do not know! I think I do pretty much own a library! That pile has to be reduced this year!

      HODOR!

      Delete