Sunday, 18 December 2016

Book Review: Where Angels fear to Tread by Thomas E Sniegoski (Remy Chandler #3)


Six year-old Zoe York has been taken and her mother has come to Remy for help. She shows him crude, childlike drawings that she claims are Zoe's visions of the future, everything leading up to her abduction, and some beyond. Like the picture of a man with wings who would come and save her-a man who is an angel.

Zoe's preternatural gifts have made her a target for those who wish to exploit her power to their own destructive ends. The search will take Remy to dark places he would rather avoid. But to save an innocent, Remy will ally himself with a variety of lesser evils-and his soul may pay the price...


My Review: 
An evil creature is seeking out great power, hidden from her by devoted holy men, and will do anything to track it down. The power resides inside an autistic child called Zoe who puts visions of the future into her drawings. When her estranged father takes her away from her mother and is tempted to go back into a demon cult who wants Zoe's power, she turns to Remy who featured in Zoe's drawings as someone who would save her.

This book was again very slow in getting to the story featuring Remy. We follow instead the evil Delilah as she battles to grab the power she seeks before the holy men put it beyond her. We follow her as she seeks out an unwilling psychic who can find out where to look. We follow her as she moves from place to place seeking out where Zoe is. It is all very long drawn out and I don't really find Delilah and her desire for world domination greatly stimulating to read about. The scenes with her using the psychic seem to be never ending as she is part tortured yet part worshipping her.

Zoe's parents Carl and Deryn once belonged to a cult that worshipped a demon and had agreed to allow it to reside in their daughter when she was born but Carl got cold feet and reported the cult to the authorities. Now with Zoe being autistic, he wonders if he made the wrong decision and considers taking her back to them to make amends. We get a fair bit of Carl's kidnapping of Zoe and it wasn't greatly exciting to read either. It made for a somewhat slow and dull start to the plot. The only bits that really interested me were when Remy was knee deep in trouble when trying to find Zoe. The rest felt like uninteresting padding.

Remy battles unsuccessfully to stop Deryn being taken by Delilah's people and is rescued by an old friend Samson-yes, THE Samson, onetime love of Delilah who now exists to kill her for betraying him. Now I liked Samson and his family. He makes a living as a troll fighter and wants to know what Remy knows about Delilah's plans, agreeing that they need to work together to stop her. I think it was here that I started to like the story a bit better, but by now we were well into the book and I had been struggling.

From when Samson enters the story it does improve. Samson is like Francis in the way he interests and entertains me so I was pleased by his introduction. I also liked the battle scenes involving Remy's people and the cult people. I previously said in other reviews that I liked the way that the author writes his action scenes and that was true here again. It just took way too long to get to the fights. The one disappointing thing with the big battle at the end is the same complaint that I had about the big battle at the end of the last book-too much death for the sake of it. I felt it was a bit overboard again.

This wasn't the greatest book in the world. I didn't greatly enjoy the plots that dominated the opening half of the book. It felt like a lot of extra setting that was not needed and could have been condensed a lot more. It is a constant issue that I'm having with this series. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to see the end of this series. 


Read October 2016.
2.5 stars 

2 comments:

  1. Huh... I have enjoyed other angel books by this author, and I got all excited when I saw that you had reviewed this one. Now, I'm not so sure, though... I will have to investigate further. Great review, Chuckles.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get frustrated with this author because I like his characters and his ideas but I just don't feel he delivers what he promises.

      Delete