Monday, 19 December 2016

Chuckles Cover Love #6


If there is one thing that makes a great book even better, it is when it has a cover that we love! The cover design is what catches the eye as we browse through a bookstore shelf or check out the Amazon or Goodreads recommendations. The right cover makes me look closer at a book, to read the blurb and maybe make a purchase. A poor cover might mean I never look at the blurb at all. This is the first in a series of posts celebrating all those book covers I love...and why!

As the year starts coming to a close it is time to look at one of my favourite ever series and the vast amounts of covers available. Yes it's Harry Potter time! I have the childrens UK covers, I have a gorgeous set of recent designs, I have the adult UK covers on the audiobooks...and I'm collecting the illustrated editions...and I've seen a lot of interesting covers out there. I'll use book one to showcase a few of the available choices.

Covers for book one: (UK children, US, white design thing, UK adult, portuguese, swedish, french, danish, dutch, spanish, german and italian)





I LOVE the portuguese, swedish and danish covers...really the UK kids cover is so DULL by comparison! Ooh if I had the money (and the space!) to collect all these covers...My favourite set though are these bad boys which I have in paperback and hardback!




So which Harrys do you like? Do you have something different? How many sets do you have?

12 comments:

  1. I have the US covers because I live in the US and read these books as they were originally coming out, so I didn't have any other options lol. But anyway, my favorites are definitely the ones that you have! Those are so gorgeous! And the Portuguese one looks gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could sit and gaze at these covers all day! Sometimes I even pick them up, stroke them and croon 'my precccciioouusss!' to them...!

      Delete
  2. I have the original American hardback versions and while I think they are better than some, I have to admit the editions you have are probably my favorite. It's so neat seeing all the different versions out there but it does make one wonder why some are just so plain boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UK kids cover is very poor compared to the US and European ones! I love my new Harry set though...they are just so pretty to look at!

      Delete
  3. It's so hard to pick a favorite. Harry Potter is one of those lucky books that always seems to get a great cover, no matter which edition it is:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a nice cover and it's great to see that so many countries gave the book a great cover!

      Delete
  4. Ooh cover posts... love 'em! :) I don't have any of these books- can you believe that?? But for the first one I like the third one because the chess angle I think is interesting, and I like the one where they're strolling through Diagon Alley too.

    From your second set I LOVE Azkaban with the nighttime scene and the white stag, and the one with the dragon and The deathly hallows are nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my favourite set I love the Prisoner of Azkaban because it is so vivid and striking! I love all the covers because of the colour and the way it shows a scene from the book. Pretty!

      Delete
  5. I TOTALLY agree with you when it comes to cover love :) And I adore that last group of HP covers, they're amazing! Nothing beats good old print books in my mind. I can't stand ebooks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebooks are useful for getting free or cheap books to try new authors but nothing beats the paperback book! The shiny bright coloured cover, the new book smell, the slight delay and anticipation as you go to turn each page...oh yes we love it!

      Delete
  6. I'm partial to the first edition US hardbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really good versions out there. I like the US ones too. Anything is better than the original UK ones!

      Delete