Friday, 16 December 2016

Chuckles Childhood Book Loves


Here I continue to take you on a journey through all the reading phases I had as a kid. We've had the horses, child detectives, coming of age and romance so now I'm focusing on the books I read in secondary school. Lets look now at classic horror.

My dad was on a Stephen King library binge read and the cover of IT looked intriguing with the monster eyes looking out of the drain. I was 12 at the time and my dad gave the library permission to give me an adult reading card! It was a great moment for me I can tell you that! I grabbed IT, Christine and Carrie and headed off home. I think I read Carrie first but I liked it and Christine. But when I read IT, I knew this was going to be a long lasting favourite! In fact I've wore out three copies so far! And so my enduring love of horror was born! Here are my favourite Stephen King books.


My friend at the time got a book out the library when we were fourteen with a recommendation from Stephen King on it. She thought it was ok but when I tried this author I just loved him and that was my introduction to Richard Laymon! The first book I read was Endless Night and I bought it while I was in a mail order bookclub. Through my student days up to when I was 21 I would grab a nice horror book or two each month when I went shopping. It doesn't sound much but the social time of being a student plus the studying left little time to read and I started losing the habit! Here are my favourite Richard Laymon books.


The other author that I saw on the shelves a lot was Dean Koontz but I was never quite as keen on his books as other authors. I found them a bit hit and miss but these were the hits that I enjoyed. I plan to re-read at some point to write better reviews.


Next up was one of my dad's favourite horror authors and I liked some of his books as well-step up James Herbert! Here are my three favourites. I will reread and review soon.


And to round out my classic horror, here are a few older books that I enjoyed by different authors.
 

So have you read any of these books or have thoughts on these authors? What classic horror did you enjoy? This post rounds out my childhood book loves but from now on my posts will talk about my adult reading habits and loves with a look at different genres tried on my reading journey!

8 comments:

  1. My kind of post! Isn't it funny, my Mom got me an adult library card (I actually think it was just a note in the file) when I was 11. Of course, she loved to dump me at the library while she ran around without me so I think I may have blackmailed her - but that's a whole 'nother story. You know how I feel about Stephen King and I used to read a lot of Koontz as well. I didn't know The Fog was a book but I'm really going to have to read that one - I love the movie (the original...the remake, not so much). Too bad we live continents apart, I think we would have been awesome childhood buds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fog isn't related to the film in any way. It's a fog that turns people crazy, similar to Richard Laymon's One Rainy Night. I read it so long ago I can't remember much about the actual plot. I love The Fog original film-it is just awesome! I think we would've been fighting over the same books at the library!

      Delete
    2. Good point about fighting over the same books :)

      Delete
    3. You'd win because you have the dogs!

      Delete
  2. I also read most of these book when I was way too young to do so :) This could be my list if you switched out Laymon & the last two rows for Clive Barker. I didn't find Laymon until my 20's. Pet Sematary was one of my first King books and I fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like some classic horror! Give me a nice bit of gore and tension without a slow plot and I'm happy!

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love the covers back then! I've read almost all of these and many grace my bookshelves. I go to my local used book store and comb through tons of books looking for goodies like these. I used to enjoy Peter Straub too. And Bentley Little. And.....LOL A newer author that writes great creature terror is Hunter Shea. Have you tried his books yet? And have you read any of Steve Alten's Meg series. They are finally making a movie that comes out late next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a copy of Meg years ago but never got round to it despite loving sharks, but I do have five books in the series on the ereader. Actually I haven't read Hunter Shea yet...but I'm loving the book titles! I think I might have to grab some of those to try...thanks! Ooh a Meg film? I'll be watching that!

      Delete