Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

This week we have a topic not related to holidays...yea! It's Top Ten New-To-Me Authors in 2016. I like this because I'm always discovering new authors to try. Instead of just listing my favourite zombie and prepper authors again, I've decided to also share some authors I've tried that you might not have heard me talk about before that got 3 or more stars.

1) Rick Jones-The Valley
A gameshow where you have to go cross country being chased by dinosaurs in a dramatic mix of Jurassic World meets The Running Man! Really enjoyed this book and will be interested to see what else the author has to offer.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25131915-the-valley 

2) Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Horizon 
This is a feast of action packed zombie tension and gore as a team of soldiers are sent to find out why a research facility has gone dark, and the apocalypse is unleashed! Lots of 'in the city' zombie action too. I'm excited for the rest of the series!  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24156733-extinction-horizon 

3) Nicholas Olivo-Imperium
A half-god secret agent aided by a hyperactive gremlin and an over-eager weapon loving newbie try to find missing supernatural creatures. Portals, mythology and evil Nazi experiments combine with good action and humour.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11961115-imperium 

4) Darrell Maloney-Countdown to Armageddon 
This author has written three great apocalypse series that I've tried and loved the first books of, and look forward to completing each series. The books have our characters preparing for upcoming disasters and then trying to deal with the realities of a new and changed world. Great prepper fiction!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20566964-countdown-to-armageddon 

5) Viktor Zarkov-Jurassic Island
This is like The Lost World...a team of experts locate an exotic island and then have to deal with all the deadly dinosaurs who live there! Tense and exciting horror action and I look forward to the sequel Jurassic Sea! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27251970-jurassic-island 

6) Robert Boren-Bug Out! 
A group of older and retired RV owners have to tackle IS terrorists, psycho militia, government traitors, serial killers and trigger happy UN troops as they try to survive a civil war on American soil. Great characters and non stop action. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23651819-bug-out-part-1 

7) Catt Dahman-Dinosaur 65 Million
Another Jurassic World v The Running Man gameshow in this enjoyable horror romp but this author also writes about zombies, killer sharks and snakes and other interesting dinosaur adventures. Very much b movie fun with these books. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18687577-dinosaurs 

8) Lisa Blackwood-Sorceress Awakening 
This is a fantasy novel with a love story-not my normal read but I loved the magical powered Lillian and her gargoyle protector Gregory and I was rooting for them as a couple! We have fae, wild hunt, vampires, dryads, lots of magic, plots and emotion and I'll be reading the rest of the series next year.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30970791-sorceress-awakening 

9) Rebecca Chastain-Magic of the Gargoyles 
This story features an earth elemental skilled in magical quartz use who tries to save a group of baby gargoyles from evil black magic users. I loved the quartz magic, the characters and the cute gargoyles! I plan to read more in the series next year.  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29794621-magic-of-the-gargoyles 

10) James A Hunter-Yancy Lazarus series 
I've read book 1.5 which is a flashback to the character serving in Vietnam when the VC use siren songs to lure his men into killing themselves and each other, while encountering superhuman VC fighters. Different, interesting and entertaining! Bought the whole series!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25801039-flashback 

12 comments:

  1. All of these authors are new to me! I like the sound of Sorceress Awakening..Will check it out :) Nice picks! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I hope you find a few good reads out of the list. Lisa Blackwood wrote good characters and I don't mind a bit of romance if I really love the characters and get involved in their story, which happened here. It was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of those authors yet but it sounds like you found a great bunch of new authors in 2016. I need to get to reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read about 30 new authors I liked this month but I figured it would be good to mention ones in different genres instead of just apocalypses! I just need to find more reading time...too many great sounding books...

      Delete
  3. Reminds me, did you ever read Great Zoo of China? Jurassic Park-ish concept but with dragons, it made me wonder if you'd be interested. (I didn't like it, if I recall rightly, but I don't remember why!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I haven't heard of this one! I went over to Goodreads to check it out and I'm liking the sound of it! Jurassic Park with dragons? Oh yes! *adds to wishlist*

      Delete
  4. The Valley sounds awesome- Jurassic Park meets Running Man? Schwing- I'm in! Jurassic Island- ditto! And I love the sound of extinction Horizon and Imperium. Wow these sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be very bad at leading people astray and expanding their tbr! I loved The Valley and I want to watch that on Saturday nights! I can't get enough of dinosaurs and I did enjoy Jurassic Island! Extinction Horizon is a fast paced zombiefest and I'm very keen to read on...the only series better than it at the moment is Arisen by Michael Stephen Fuchs. Imperium was great urban fantasy and I so love the gremlin!

      Delete
  5. I NEED to read Nicholas Sansbury Smith. I have the Orbs trilogy, and I think those were indie pubbed before it did so well it got picked up by a traditional publisher? Those success stories always make me curious.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Orbs books but you're right about them originally being self published. This series is done by CreateSpace so is easily grabbed from Amazon! I think most of what I read is Indie hence the importance of having Amazon access!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read books by any of the author's on your list, yet! Your description for "Bug Out!" is definitely grabbing my attention- sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can ignore spelling and punctuation errors, it's pretty action packed!

      Delete