Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Chuckles Cover Love #4


If there is one thing that makes a great book even better, it is when it has a cover that we love! The cover design is what catches the eye as we browse through a bookstore shelf or check out the Amazon or Goodreads recommendations. The right cover makes me look closer at a book, to read the blurb and maybe make a purchase. A poor cover might mean I never look at the blurb at all. This is the first in a series of posts celebrating all those book covers I love...and why!

When I started out on my urban fantasy adventures, the third author I tried was Patricia Briggs and her Mercy Thompson series. I still regard this as one of my top three urban fantasy series, if not the best. When I first bought her books from Waterstones they were in mass market paperback form with small writing and these uninspiring covers:


Not exactly pretty huh. I got the first five books and then I heard they were changing to trade paperback, the bigger size, which meant new covers. Now those who know me are well aware that this is a pet hate of mine, changing book size and cover half way through a series but in this case I was hoping for good covers. 

I saw US friends with these covers but I've never seen them available here in the UK. While I like the colours and designs much better than my covers, I still had to wonder why Mercy was half dressed on two of them. But I liked them and would have been happy if these were what I got. Anyway here they are:


So what covers did I end up with? These are an example of the new covers that became available on Amazon and I was ok with them overall. Not as pretty as the other covers but much better than my original buys anyway! I can live with them. Moon Called is a bit ugly though...




I can live with them! I like the cover for Bone Crossed the best-I always like that pinky purple shade! OK lets also talk about the Alpha and Omega books. The first two I got in mass market paperback with one cover design and then it switched to trade paperback in the newer design. I'm waiting to see if I like the series before I buy the newer versions for the first two books. I do like both designs though.*sigh*


What covers do you have? Which do you like and how do you feel about any changes to the covers you were buying?

6 comments:

  1. I've always loved the US covers, artist Dan Dos Santos is incredible. The only criticism is that yeah, Mercy tends to be lacking the wardrobe department in a lot of them, and there were even racier versions of past covers that had been scrapped.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez what was she doing in the racier covers! The strutting about in her bra just isn't fitting with Mercy's character but the artwork is pretty. I saw the Frost Burned cover, I think it was, on a post Greg did recently about snow covers. Pretty!

      Delete
  2. I have much the same issues with cover changes midstream or whatever. I'm pretty familiar with the US covers but haven't seen the others I don't think. I like Bone Crossed among the covers you have too and Frost Burned as well. The US covers are okay but yeah I never really got why she's half dressed all the time either lol.

    Speaking of this series I love urban fantasy but have not read a lot of it, I've been looking for that series that will blow me away and lots of people have recommended these, so I'm looking forward to trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah artistic licence goes overboard and turns Mercy into a hooker!

      Ooh there are so many UF authors out there to try-Sonya Bateman, DD Barant, Kelly Meding, Jaye Wells, Jeaniene Frost, Skyla Dawn Cameron, Rob Thurman, Judith Post, Jennifer Estep, MLN Hanover, John G Hartness, Kevin Hearne, Christina Henry, Kendra C Highley, Alex Hughes, James A Hunter, James R Tuck, Benedict Jacka, Melanie Karsak, ES Moore, CE Murphy, RL Naquin, Thomas E Sniegoski, Lucy A Snyder, KA Stewart, Carrie Vaughn, and lots I haven't read yet! If you're on Goodreads, check out my UF-PNR shelf for ideas!

      Delete
  3. I've never seen the other versions of these before now and do like the sexy US versions best. I still haven't read them yet . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US covers are the best, no doubt about that. Still, I ended up with decent covers compared to what I started with so I can deal with that!

      Delete