Friday, 30 December 2016

Annual End Of Year Survey- 2016 Edition!

It's another chance to look back at the booky year and a thank you to Jamie for hosting this event again. You can find the post and link here:
http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2016/12/7th-annual-end-of-year-survey-2016-edition.html

I have chosen not to answer the blogging section of the survey as I don't focus on blog stats or visitor numbers etc. To see the missing questions go to Jamie's page. My answers all relate to books read in 2016 not books published.

Number Of Books You Read: 267
Number of Re-Reads: 5
Genre You Read The Most From: apocalypse dystopia

BEST IN BOOKS:

Best Book You Read In 2016? 
No way I can narrow this down. Too many great books this year. OK I'll try...
best UF: James R Tuck's Deacon Chalk series
best mythology-Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series
best apocalypse-anything by Darrell Maloney
best zombies-Michael Stephen Fuchs-Arisen series

Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Patricia Briggs-Shifting Shadows. I loved the Pack related stories from both werewolf series but the rest were about characters I couldn't remember so were a bit of a waste. Hate that.

Most surprising book (in a good or bad way) you read?
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I didn't think I was going to get swept away by a screenplay the way I am with a book but I loved this! Want more!!!

Book you pushed the most people to read (and they did)?
I've been telling everyone about Melanie Karsak-The Harvesting and a few people have grabbed a copy so far. Zombies! And a lot more...

Best series you started in 2016? 
Robert Boren-Bug Out!

Best sequel of 2016?
James R Tuck-Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk #2)

Best series ender of 2016?
I think I only read one which was Kelley Armstrong-Driven. Decent read but expected more. It wasn't the finish I expected.

Favourite new author you discovered in 2016?
Darrell Maloney. His prepper apocalypse books are so good! Great plot, great characters!

Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 
I only read genres I like. I don't read outside my comfort zone.Too many tbrs!

Most action packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Michael Stephen Fuchs-Maximum Violence (Arisen #4) This zombie series is mad!

Book you read in 2016 that you are most likely to reread next year? 
I won't be re-reading anything I read this year anytime soon. Too many tbrs to tackle!

Favourite cover of a book you read in 2016?
Rick Jones-The Valley. Love dinosaurs!

Most memorable character of 2016?
Oberon from The Iron Druid series. I love that dog!

Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
When you read zombies and apocalypse disasters 'beautiful' doesn't really feature!

Most thought-provoking/life changing book of 2016?
Franklin Horton-Borrowed World. This opened my eyes up to how a disaster could unfold if you aren't prepared for it. It began my love of prepper fiction.

Book you can't believe you waited until 2016 to finally read?
Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Horizon. Loved this zombiefest!

Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2016?
"I also know a were-pomeranian named Phoebe Fluffenstuff that will gut someone with her samurai sword as casually as you would slice a pie" James R. Tuck-Deacon Chalk series

Shortest book you read in 2016?
Shauna Klein-We interrupt this program 7 pages

Longest book you read in 2016?
I'm guessing at Patricia Briggs-Shifting Shadows 451 pages

Book that shocked you the most?
I can't say I was shocked by anything I read.

One True Pairing of the year?
Anna and Charles. Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs.

Favourite non romantic relationship of the year?
Atticus and Oberon. Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne.

Favourite book you read in 2016 from an author you've read previously?
Patricia Briggs-Fair Game (Alpha & Omega #3)

Best book you read in 2016 that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else?
None. I don't read solely on a recommendation. I get recs from friends or blogs but only read it if I think it sounds good. I must want to read it for myself.

Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Not into this book boyfriend thing.

Best 2016 debut you read?
I don't think I read anything published as a debut this year.

Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
Most of my books were urban fantasy or apocalypse books so not much worldbuilding. I'd maybe pick The Iron Druid series here as it is the most complex and covers several different worlds-Celtic and Norse as examples.

Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series had the most humour. I loved Hexed.

Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2016?
I did shed tears at Patricia Briggs-Dead Heat at the end.

Hidden gem of the year?
Nicholas Olivo-Imperium. 

Book that crushed your soul?
Um, none. I don't take books personally.

Most unique book you read in 2016?
I'll go with James R. Tuck's Deacon Chalk books. The range of shifters appearing in the books are pretty unique-Were-gorillas, dinosaurs, spiders, sharks,  komodo dragons! Also Robert Boren's Bug Out series where all the heroes were aged mostly 60-80 years old. I loved that!

Book that made you the most mad (you can still like it)? 
Marla Braziel-Zombie Wars Online. I hate plots with a character 'liking' being raped.  It spoiled the book for me.

LOOKING AHEAD: 

Book you didn't get to in 2016 that will be priority in 2017?
Lots! Probably My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand. I spent the summer looking for it then never managed to get it read!

Book you are most anticipating in 2017? (non-debut)
Craig Oliver-Unleashing Demons. Want this, waiting for paperback!

2017 debut you are most anticipating?
Don't know what's coming out next year that I'd want to read until I see it.

Series ending/sequel you are most anticipating in 2017?
The arrival of my next Mercy Thompson book. I hate waiting for paperback releases like this.

One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2017?
Reduce that darn tbr!!!

A 2017 release you've already read and recommend to everyone? 
Don't read ARCs.

12 comments:

  1. So great to see your answers :) And WOW! 267 books!! That's a lot!
    I wish you all the best in your bookish, bloggish life for 2017! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this and it didn't take as long as I thought! I do read a lot of books around 200 pages on my ereader so I can get through a lot in a year if I put my mind to it! Best wishes for your book goals too and I'll be lurking around your blog next year!

      Delete
  2. Wow, 267 books! How do people reach these crazy numbers? I struggled to get to 100. It looks like you had a good reading year. I hope you’re able to get through your TBR next year.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit most of my books are around 150-250 pages so that helps and I am a fast reader! I also have time to read 4 hours every night without kids or stuff getting in the way!

      Delete
  3. Great wrap up. I can't wait to get lost in Oberon in 2017! I also need to make time for My Lady Jane. It sounds awesome and lots of people love it. Yes, I'm one that bought The Harvesting after seeing Laurie grab it and mentioning she saw it on your blog. We've got quite a little enabling circle going on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling the stress of book recommendations...what if you guys hate The Harvesting?!!! *whimpers* I'm scared to read My Lady Jane...everyone finds it funny and I'm scared I won't! Yea to Oberon in 2017! My reviews of the books will be coming up after Vampire Week.

      Delete
  4. 267 books- woo hoo! Awesome. I read maybe 10% that many lol. Well a little more but not much. :) I've been thinking about the Kevin hearne series as several bloggers have told me to try it. I do love that cover of The Valley!

    I don't read ARC's either. My TBR would be crazy if I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Hearne's books are a lot of fun especially with Oberon. There is no cooler dog in fiction! I have lots of dinosaur books still to read but it'll have to be great to beat The Valley...If I read ARCS my tbr would be about 1500! Just thinking about that scares me...

      Delete
  5. HOLY COW you read a lot of books! I'm jealous! I have to disagree with your response about beautiful books though. Withered + Sere was not about zombies but was post-apoc and dystopian-ish with cannibalism and gruesome violence and a bleak future, but the writing was beautiful, and the story turned out to be rather beautiful too. Idk if it'd be your kinda book, but it is in fact possible for a book to be gruesome and apocalyptic but also beautiful lol. But anyway, I am going to read The Harvesting... at some point (THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKS). And if I ever forget about it, I'm sure your blog will remind me again at some point :-P And you and I have a lot in common! I also don't really read outside of my comfort zone since I know what I like (sci-fi/fantasy) and am not big into the book boyfriend thing, and it takes a lot to shock me in a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just referring to the indie zombie and apocalypse books I read which are brutal gorefests that make The Walking Dead look tame! Lovely! No, the one you described isn't to my taste-I'm not interested in romance in my apocalypses (or is it apocalypsi?)I'd LOVE to see The Harvesting as a TV series...so much they could do with it! Yeah I'm kind of set in my ways with my choices mostly. I go for the odd book out of genre but mostly I know what I like! I plan to do a post soon on the book boyfriend craze so I'd love to get your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  6. Awesome post! I really need to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child sometime!

    Here’s my 2016 End of Year Book Survey!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog
    Cursed Child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how much I liked it because I never read plays or screenplays for fun!

      Delete