Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

This week is a Father's Day freebie so of course I'm not doing that as it's a bit pants, so it's a Chuckles free choice week! Now there is nothing better on a humid summer night than a bit of gory horror or an exciting thriller, right? Beach reads are for wimps!!! *grins* The chosen topic will be Ten Horror/Thrillers on my TBR to pass the Summer Nights! Mwooaahhh!


1) Matthew Reilly-The Great Zoo of China
First heard about this from Nikki at Bibliophibian Inc *waves* and the concept of a Jurassic Park style thriller with a zoo of dragons really appealed to me as something totally different. Can you imagine those bad boys escaping???!!! Really want to get reading this one soon!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25922946-the-great-zoo-of-china 

2) Melinda Braun-Stranded
What do you do when you are on a hike, a storm comes, your guide dies, and you have to survive in the wilds with a killer amongst you and wild animals around you? Although this is YA I'd had my eye on it for a long time and wanted to read it. Love the cover too...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24885705-stranded 

3) Richard Laymon-Amara 
I've had this unread book sitting on my shelves since it came out yet haven't got round to reading it yet. Who doesn't love the idea of an ancient mummy rising in a tide of gore, hmm? I definitely need to get to this one soon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24885705-stranded 


4) Saul Tanpepper-Gameland (omnibus) 
A group of hackers and gamers break into a high security island where the infected roam in packs, the basis for a popular online zombie game. Getting there is easy-getting out could be fatal. I've read the first part and liked it so I had to grab the whole huge omnibus to see how the story progresses.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13598429-gameland-omnibus 

5) Ania Ahlborn-The Shuddering 
A group of snowboarders arrive at a cabin that is about to be sold for one last group holiday there. But lurking outside are deadly creatures closing in on them...Sounds like a typical low budget b movie plot but anything with some nice death in it is worth a try. Never read this author before.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17327053-the-shuddering 

6) Patrick Sheane Duncan-Dracula vs Hitler 
With the Nazis in command the resistance turn to Professor Van Helsing and his idea of raising Vlad Dracul from the dead. Vlad is a patriot and nobody cares how much German blood he drinks...ok just LOVE the description of this book and so much want to read it! Vampires taking down Nazis? Oh yes!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29241335-dracula-vs-hitler 


7) Mira Gibson-Daddy Soda 
Hannah returns to the town she escaped to search for her missing mother who has been kidnapped by a deranged psycho. This sounds like a psychological thriller which I don't read much of but I loved the title and cover so decided to give it a try as something different. The fact that it was free helped!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27842707-daddy-soda 

8) Hunter Shea-The Montauk Monster A US research facility on Plum Island has been doing secret experiments which were never meant to get free...ooh look at that cover! This just sounds like a fun dode of monster mayhem to get stuck into!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18371375-the-montauk-monster

9) Ezekiel Boone-The Hatching 
In deepest Peru a black skittering mass devours a tourist and so begins an invasion of deadly spiders. Perfect for an arachnophobe like me who loves to scare herself. If I like it I won't be able to buy the second book as it has tons of horrible spiders on the cover!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27276264-the-hatching 

10) RA Hakok-Among Wolves 
Gabriel and Mags were on a school trip to the White House when the apocalypse hit and for ten years they live in the secure bunker. On a scouting trip Gabriel realises that there are things to be feared inside and outside the bunker. I'm intrigued by this plot and I got it free so it was added to my ever growing list!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31626073-among-wolves 

22 comments:

  1. Amara looks awesome and I have copies of The Great Zoo of China and Dracula v. Hitler. I agree, who needs beach reads (unless there happens to be a cute dog on the cover). Horror all the way! Hope you make time for these this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a good summer scare! I hope to get to these soon!

      Delete
  2. The Great Zoo of China looks like my kind of thing. I have long looked for Jurassic Park type of thrillers and I am almost always disapointed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this is going to be good. I do love Jurassic Park...

      Delete
  3. hahaha "Beach reads are for wimps!!!" love it. :) Is there really a book about Hitler and Dracula??? omg I gotta check that one out!!! I just added it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Dracula vs Hitler, I kid you not! How great does that sound?!

      Delete
  4. Speaking of the odd times we do have some overlap, I did wonder if you might be interested in Mur Lafferty's The Shambling Guide to New York. It's pretty light and funny, but it's urban fantasy that goes light on the romance and I just love the idea of a company creating travel guides for monsters! I need to get my review for that written up soon. It reminded me a bit of Cherie Priest's Bloodshot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I'm officially intrigued by this and I will investigate further. I don't often read humour in these genres but I think it sounds interesting enough to give it a try. I'm sure I saw this on a blog this week but haven't read the review yet. Thanks Nikki!

      Delete
    2. I'm not 100% sure you'll like it, but since you enjoyed Bloodshot and it reminded me of that, I thought I'd suggest it! :)

      Delete
    3. Every book is kind of a gamble so I'm always happy to hear about other books out there.

      Delete
  5. I remember seeing The Great Zoo of china and wanting to read it, but never did. Thanks for the reminder!! Stranded looks awesome to me too. :)

    And the Montauk Monster does have an amazing cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the month of July will be devoted to New-To-Me authors to give me an excuse to get some of these books looked at. I think it was Nikki who alerted me to Matthew Reilly and quite a few of his books sound good. I'd like to read more thriller/action/horror books but a lot turn out to be too slow! Hmmm, gives me an idea for a new feature...*rushes off*

      Delete
  6. Stranded is one of the better survive-in-the-wild books I've read lately, and I really enjoyed The Great Zoo of China...I mean, it has dragons in it! What's not to love? And I think I have to add Amara and The Shuddering to my summer TBR list; they both sound fun :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much loved the sound of both Stranded and Great Zoo of China. I hope to maybe read them next month. It's fun to find new authors to try! Thanks for taking the time to visit my TTT and I shall be coming to your blog later today to lurk!

      Delete
  7. The Great Zoo of China sounds fun, I will have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got a great cover too...very Jurassic Park looking which definitely appeals! Thanks for coming over to my blog to say hi...I'll be coming over to check out your blog posts today!

      Delete
  8. I can't believe I haven't read 'The Great Zoo of China' yet, that sounds like it was written for me ;-)

    Dracula vs Hitler?? :D I mean, why not haha! There's weirder things around! I once watched a movie called 'Ozombie' - Osama Bin Laden coming back as a Zombie.. And running in slow-mo across a kids' playground and a corn field if I remember correctly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw OZombie a couple of years back. As zombie films go it wasn't actually that bad! I'm very much new to Matthew Reilly but his sounds sound interesting! Dracula vs Hitler is on my list to read very soon...

      Delete
  9. These are all new to me. But there sounds like a few great reads here. :) Thanks for sharing a little about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy a nice book list! I hope to get some of these looked at next month when I do a 'new-to-me' authors and series theme.

      Delete
  10. I have The Great Zoo of China and The Hatching on my TBR list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad dragons and psycho spiders! Perfect!

      Delete