Thursday, 29 June 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #22 Catelyn Stark

Welcome to my Game of Thrones Gossip, where all of us fanatics get the chance to discuss everything we love about this amazing TV series. I did a few spoiler free posts about the series last year but I found that there were other bloggers out there who were also itching to talk more freely about favourite characters and events without spoiling things for those visiting the blog. So I decided to do a whole series of these discussion posts that let us say everything we want and enjoy every second of it! The topics may talk about a death, an event, a character or be season reviews and so on. Please feel free to comment fully and without restriction!

I have to warn you that it is important that you have seen all six seasons before reading any of these posts because these posts and blogger comments will be oozing and exploding spoilers all over the place. If you haven't watched the series and plan to, be warned that it's a bad idea to be here right now! I take no responsibility if you read on and things are spoiled for you nor do I take responsibility for any mistakes on the pages I link you to.

For those of you who stuck with me through my season one posts, thank you loads! Now I'm going to look at the main characters introduced in season two, what our season one characters were doing in season two and looking at all the bests bits. Enjoy the season two posts! 


Catelyn Stark was born Catelyn Tully and was betrothed to Brandon Stark. She grew up with siblings Edmure and Lysa, and Petyr Baelish, who was her father's ward. Petyr loved Catelyn and challenged Brandon to a duel for her, which he lost and was sent away by Catelyn's furious father Hoster. When Brandon's sister Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen, Brandon and his father Rickard marched to King's Landing to demand their release, The Mad King had them both murdered, sparking Robert's Rebellion and the fall of the Targaryens.

Catelyn married Brandon's younger brother Ned but had barely been married when he went off to war, leaving her pregnant with Robb. She is far from happy when he returns with baby Jon Snow, determined to bring up his bastard with the rest of the family. In fact baby Jon is the son of Ned's sister Lyanna, something that Ned wishes to hide from Robert so he lies and asks his wife to forgive him. The sad thing is that Catelyn will never learn the truth. She cannot hide her hatred of Jon as he grows up at Winterfell, reminding her daily of her husband cheating. In the books, Catelyn refuses to let Jon stay at Winterfell with her when Ned takes most of the family to King's Landing so Ned is forced to allow Jon to join the Night's Watch instead. In spite of her feelings for Jon, Catelyn devotes herself to her children and husband.

When Bran is attacked while in his coma, Catelyn proves that she will do anything for her children, taking on the assassin and then taking the dangerous road to King's Landing with Ser Rodrik to tell Ned about the plot. It is here that she sees childhood friend Littlefinger and she believes him when he says he can help Ned uncover the truth. Catelyn has no idea of the hatred that Littlefinger has for her husband or the level of his plotting to bring the Starks and Lannisters to the brink of war. It is Catelyn's trust in his words that leads her to kidnap the innocent Tyrion, accusing him of attacking Bran, and sparking Tywin to defend the family name by raising an army. With Littlefinger's help, Ned does uncover the truth and makes the mistake of trying to stop Joffrey taking the Throne. It leads to a traitor's death for Ned and too late, Catelyn sees where trusting Littlefinger has got her.

With Ned dead and Robb leading his bannermen to war, Catelyn is in a crisis. Tywin's army has plundered the Riverlands and brought misery to people loyal to her Tully family, due to Tyrion being taken prisoner. Theon has taken Winterfell. She has realised that her sister Lysa is quite mad and watches Tyrion talk his way out of his trial. Her husband is dead and her daughters are trapped at King's Landing as hostages. Bran is crippled and she knows that Jaime was responsible. She watched Renly die at the hands of Stannis and his black magic, ending the chance of an alliance with Robb against the Lannisters. Robb breaks a promise to Walder Frey to marry his daughter, marrying Talisa instead. Everything is a mess and she is unsure how to fix it. She makes another fateful decision to try and secure the release of her daughters by asking Brienne to take Jaime to King's Landing for a trade. It causes a massive rift with Robb and a lot of trouble with the Karstak family.

Catelyn ends season two having lost the trust of her son Robb, certain that Bran and Rickon were murdered by Theon and both daughters are being held by Cersei. She pins all her hopes on Brienne to get her girls back. Everything she does has been out of love for her family but it has led to poor decision making. You could blame her for starting a war by taking Tyrion prisoner but that was really the work of Littlefinger, and war would have begun anyway when Ned was murdered. You can understand why she was so desperate to have her girls back after losing her young boys, as she thought had happened so it is hard to blame her for releasing Jaime. I don't believe she has acted with real malice except towards Jon, and even that can be understood, and I think she is a strong, stubborn woman who will act rather than sit back and see how things play out. There will be more about Catelyn in my season three posts. 

6 comments:

  1. She is a very strong character and I enjoyed watching her the seasons she was on. I definitely see parts of her in Arya. I think Arya gets her drive, fortitude and stubbornness for her mother. Except Arya was always more receptive of Jon. I don't know that I ever forgave Catelyn for that - haha. I feel too many people trust Littlefinger but then he is a master manipulator so it's understandable. I always appreciated that Catelyn sought the help of Brienne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to Littlefinger getting what he deserves and I so much hope it is Arya who kills him! Arya got the best traits from both parents I think. I have sympathy for Cately as everything she does is for her family but the consequences of each decision seem fated to destroy the Starks and Tullys. I loved that Red Wedding episode as we see her ruthlessness dealing with Walder's wife compared to Robb giving up. I liked her interactions with Brienne.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sympathetic to Cat all things considered. You sum up her situation well! when you read it like that you realize just how much she's gone through! I loved that chapter in ACoK when she rides to Renly's camp. And her releasing Jaime in A Storm of Swords changes the story in SO many ways, I love the little chase he leads the Tully people on- they did it different from the show I think (fuzzy memory).

    And of course there's more to cat's story after the Red Wedding lol. I don't think the show will go there since they have limited time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard a few people talk about how horrible she was in the books but I didn't see much evidence of that except in her dealings with Jon. I can understand that-who wants your husbands bastard living in your home! What a shame Ned was unable to tell her the truth. Maybe with Robert's death, Ned could have decided to tell her the truth about Jon and that would have been interesting. I look forward to reading the next book...I purchased it in two parts so book 3 part 1 is a shorter read and I'll do it in August.

      Delete
  3. I love this posts so much! Especially because you remind me of things I had forgotten! I forgot Brandon and Rickard had been killed by the mad king! Catelyn's story is so sad. Not knowing Jon's real story being bitter about a betrayal that never happened and then losing her son's trust and watching her entire family being murdered like that!! UGH!!! Even though she wasn't my favorite female character as a mother and wife I think I related to every single choice she made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to me that Catelyn died thinking Ned had betrayed her. I guess I wanted her to know the truth, maybe a letter left with Maester Luwin to be read after Ned's death...and she could make it up to Jon. *sighs* I find it impossible to dislike her-she may have done the wrong things but they were for the right reasons!

      Delete