Saturday, 10 June 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
As I mentioned on my Sunday Post last week, I decided to take a few days off the computer to get some reading done and chill out a bit. It was nice to just let the computer publish my scheduled posts while I emersed myself in a good book. The down side is that it took me all day yesterday to catch up on blog visits and answer comments and deal with email! Still I did get half of A Clash of Kings read which was good. I still have the neck pain but I think it might be down to bad posture sitting all day at the computer and not sleeping in a good position so I'm going to try to change some of these issues and see if it helps.
 
I admit it...I went on a book grab at Waterstone's just before my blog break and again my restraint is non existant! But they were in the buy one get one half price so it wasn't really a full spending plurge...ahem. You do have to treat yourself occasionally right? Or maybe once a week...! Anyway I went, I saw, I bought and I don't care coz I have shiny new books to look at! I went with a list of what I was looking for and found none of them but got this lot instead...
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
A mixture of political books here from all sides of the divide. I like reading behind the scenes of political parties in power and opposition and with Ken Clarke being a maverick I think his book could be interesting. Ed Balls is a politician I like so I was interested in his story. I also like reading about things like Brexit. Nice mixture there! I've ordered a few more from Amazon which will be on next week's post along with some nice horror, so look out for that!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chuckles Blogging World:
 
As I mentioned, I was playing catchup yesterday with my blogging after my four day break and I'll be trying to do a few more visits over this weekend now that things are back to normal. I'm happy to catch up quickly and this weekend I'll be getting some blog posts ready for next week!
Click on the link provided to go to each blog post if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!
 
 Book Reviews:

I scheduled a couple of book reviews to cover the start of the week, finishing my reviews of the Bigfoot War series, and I completed my reviews for the last two parts of a zombie trilogy that I read back in March and forgot to post!
 
Eric S Brown-Planet Sasquatch
 
Eric S Brown-Planet Sasquatch Retaliation
 
Eric S Brown-The End
 
Eric S Brown-Tales of the Sasquatch Apocalypse
 
Sarah Andersen-Big Mushy Happy Lump
 
Jason Kristopher-Interval (Dying of the Light #2)
 
Jason Kristopher-Beginning (Dying of the Light #3)
 
Regular Features: 

Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Apocalypse Books on my TBR
 
Chuckles Cover Love-William H Weber
 
Around The Blogs With Chuckles
 
Discussion Posts: 

Chuckles Chat-Holidays
 
Game of Thrones Gossip-Season One Best Bits
 
Book Challenge Updates:

  My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 118/250. I've only completed one book since last week but to be fair I've spent four days so far reading A Clash of Kings!

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 810.*sigh*

Currently Reading: 
Mixing it up a little! I'm about to start the sixth Extinction Horizon book by Nicholas Sansbury Smith and I'm 530 pages into A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. Hope to get that bad boy finished this weekend and start on some new things next week.

Next Reads? 

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Aftermath
Jack Kilborn-Trapped

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

22 comments:

  1. I need to read Six of Crows! It's been on my list for ages.

    Enjoy the new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of the story...hope it is good as I haven't had much luck with YA the last few years!

      Delete
  2. I also picked up Six of Crows recently! Everyone has been raving about it and I couldn't say no when I saw it on sale. I haven't gotten around to starting it yet, but I'm really excited about it. Hope we both end up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw it half price I figured I had little to lose in giving it a try. I also hope we both like it!

      Delete
  3. I started The Fireman. It wasn't a bad read, but for some reason I haven't picked it back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books that size scare me! It's taken a week on each of the first two Game of Thrones books which is so time consuming when you need to get more books read!

      Delete
  4. I’m thinking about taking a few days off blogging too. We all need breaks sometimes. Enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with a whole week off just to do a mad reading frenzy! I might need to look at that if my summer reading isn't up to scratch this year.

      Delete
  5. Nice mix of books, Chuckles. I am always unable to stay away from new books... There are so many exciting books out there, and I just want to discover what kind of a journey they might take me on :)
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn those pesky authors and their tempting books! I can't stop buying those shiny new ones. My bedroom looks like a second hand book store!

      Delete
  6. I've also been taking this week slow. I love blogging, but it's definitely good to take a break now and then. Glad you had a good reading week! Happy reading :):

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel like I got much done but I finished one book I started on Saturday and read half of A Clash Of Kings...it just doesn't LOOK like much!

      Delete
  7. It's good to take a break. And fun to go into a bookstore for book or two. Still have to read my copy of Six of Crows. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time in over a year that I've bought from a book store like Waterstones. Usually I don't see what I want there and get it from Amazon. Still, who cares where the shiny new books come from!

      Delete
    2. LOL - yeah. I even love finding books in one of those Little Free Library setups.

      Delete
    3. I think in our area, someone would set it on fire!

      Delete
  8. I say book restraint is overrated, buy all the books! Oh wait we need to eat too , right? Well that's inconvenient. I've heard good things about Dan Jones from another blogger, so The Plantagenets is one I'd like to get. And yay for Six of crows.

    I've enjoyed watching some of the political coverage of the UK vote. Anything to take my mind off Tr*mp lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might well have bought them all already...! My bookshelves are totally full and there are piles of books piled in sideways on them and on piles on the carpet. It's a mess and I despair at times but I LOVE THEM ALL!

      Trump is getting on my nerves with the way he likes to pass comment on how other countries do their stuff. He was so unfair on the London Mayor after the last terror attack. As for the UK election, a hung parliament is a total disaster for us Brexit voters!

      Delete
  9. I am going to see if I can work in a bit of a break sometime soon. I have Six of Crows and The Fireman but haven't had the chance to read either. I hope you love all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we all want a nice break! I'm just back from one but feel I need another!!!

      Delete
  10. Game of Thrones Gossip is my very best favorite feature here! :) LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete