Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #19 Season One Best Bits

Welcome to my Game of Thrones Gossip, where all of us fanatics get the chance to discuss everything we love about this amazing TV series. I did a few spoiler free posts about the series last year but I found that there were other bloggers out there who were also itching to talk more freely about favourite characters and events without spoiling things for those visiting the blog. So I decided to do a whole series of these discussion posts that let us say everything we want and enjoy every second of it! The topics may talk about a death, an event, a character or be season reviews and so on. Please feel free to comment fully and without restriction!

I have to warn you that it is important that you have seen all six seasons before reading any of these posts because these posts and blogger comments will be oozing and exploding spoilers all over the place. If you haven't watched the series and plan to, be warned that it's a bad idea to be here right now! I take no responsibility if you read on and things are spoiled for you nor do I take responsibility for any mistakes on the pages I link you to.


This week I'm looking at a wrap up of season one with reference to all my favourite bits, annoying stuff, the funny and the sad! Time to have a look at the funny and entertaining bits and the best and worst characters and moments.

The good and bad character list will change with each season review! Please feel free to post multiple comments if you have a lot to say on the subjects below. The more the merrier!

FUNNIEST MOMENTS:
1) Tyrion's 'confessions' to Lysa
2) Tyrion leading the hill tribes into battle 
3) Tywin's face on seeing Tyrion's new friends

SADDEST MOMENTS:
1) The murder of Lady 
2) Dany kills Drogo
3) Ned's execution
4) Tyrion's wife story
5) Jory's death

MOST DRAMATIC MOMENTS: 
1) Jaime throws Bran off the tower 
2) Jorah saves Dany from the assassin
3) Sansa's words solve the puzzle for Ned as to what Jon found out 
4) The wights at Castle Black
5) The hatching of the dragons
6) Ned's downfall

MOST SATISFYING MOMENTS:
1) Nymeria bites Joffrey
2) Robert slaps Cersei
3) Viserys gets his golden crown
4) Tyrion slaps Joffrey
5) Robb captures Jaime

FAVOURITE MAIN CHARACTERS:
1) Ned Stark
2) Tyrion Lannister
3) Jon Snow
4) Daenerys Targaryen
5) Khal Drogo

MOST HATED CHARACTERS:
1) Cersei Lannister
2) Joffrey Baratheon
3) Jaime Lannister
4) Littlefinger

BEST SUPPORTING CHARACTERS:
1) Bronn
2) Varys
3) Samwell
4) The Hound
5) Littlefinger

I'M SO FRUSTRATED WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!
1) Ned should have listened more to what Will was telling him, maybe locked him up and discussed it with Castle Black before executing him.
2) Ned should have tried harder to save Lady by threatening to return his family to Winterfell!
3) Ned not listening when Arya reports what she heard in the dungeon
4) Robert letting Cersei demand the death of Lady
5) Catelyn grabbing Tyrion leads to death and destruction across the Riverlands
6) Ned's refusal to look at other options before advancing his plan to topple Joffrey
7) Dany letting the witch treat Drogo
8) Bronn for introducing Shae to Tyrion

CHARACTERS HAVING A BAD DAY:
1) Lancel squiring for Robert
2) Sam sparring with the other recruits
3) Mycah regretting helping Arya
4) Bran's fall

SHUT UP AND STOP WHINING
1) Sansa on her love for Joffrey! 
2) Rickon being a brat about everything!
3) Jon on his fellow recruits at Castle Black 
4) Theon unhappy that Ros doesn't love him
5) Sansa's bitching to Septa Mordane

INTERESTING 'BLINK AND YOU MISSED IT' REVELATIONS:
1) When Jory and Jaime are talking outside Robert's chamber, Jaime mentions seeing Theon Greyjoy at Winterfell and Jory refers to him as a good lad. Jaime replies that he doubts that.
2) Everyone likes to remind Theon that he is a prisoner who should be grateful to the Starks, filling him with bitter resentment.
3) Beric Dondarrion is sent by Ned to kill The Mountain
4) Littlefinger ranting about losing Catelyn to Brandon then Ned, revealing his hatred of the Starks and his intent to use stealth this time
5) Rickon says that his parents and Robb will never come home

THE BOOKS AND THE FILMS COMPARISON:

The TV series sticks very close to the book in plot and dialogue. I liked getting more detail of the joust which is an area Martin has proved himself good at ie the Dunk and Egg books. I didn't like those short stories but the whole joust thing in the first one was very enjoyable. I also liked getting more on the Starks and Tullys fighting the Lannister armies. That was good. We get more on Arya's training with Syrio

What really threw me about the book was how much younger everyone was than the series. Robb is about 14/15 I think when he heads off to war and Dany is younger when she marries Drogo. 

BEST EPISODE? 
Hmm, I think A Golden Crown. In A Golden Crown there is the satisfying death of Viserys, Tyrion's amusing confession and escape and the moment where Ned realises that Robert's kids are not really his. It also sets up a few important things for the future with Beric Dondarrion being sent after The Mountain, the arrival of Osha and Dany being free of her brother. I love this episode!

What is your favourite episode and why? Who did you love and who did you hate in season one? Which moments did you love and which were saddest? What are your thoughts overall on season one? Leave as many comments as you want!

6 comments:

  1. Nice round up. This takes me back since I recently re- read book 5 and so looking back at these events is like a blast from the past! A good one though! It's funny that there are so many Ned moments in the "frustrating" category, but I completely agree/ SO MANY things that I wish he had done differently- the ones you mention and also the spurning of Renly when the two of them could have maybe taken. Argh Ned you dummy! :)

    I loved too the Whispering Woods where Jaime gets captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned did turn out to be a somewhat frustrating guy didn't he! If I had been Ned I would have sent Sansa and Arya away BEFORE putting his plot into action and doing it more low key than having all their things packed and making it obvious. Gah!

      Delete
  2. What a great season 1 recap. Mainly I remember the Stark mess, killing the wolf and Drogo's death the most. The new season starts on HBO next month and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love these posts so much I cant even! I have a few coming up in July right before S7 stars too. :) YES I was soooo freaking frustrated when Edd Stark didn't care much about what Arya heard in the dungeon! I wa like GOD DAMN IT EDD!!! Freaking listen! Love your sad moments. For me the murder of the Stark family at the wedding was very sad too. Especially the stabbing of her belly! BUT my top top top sad would have to be Hodor sotry. Hold the Dooooor! Hold the door! Hold Door! Hodor! OMG I get goosebumps just writing this comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just my best moments from season one so these other sad moments you mentioned won't be included on my lists until I get to those season reviews.

      Delete