Thursday, 8 June 2017

Chuckles Chat #20 Holidays

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

Lets go with a light topic for a change...holidays! 


My childhood holidays were always spent going a bus down to Blackpool, a British seaside resort that I've loved since I was a kid. It has a beach where you can get donkey rides, three different piers with food, drink and rides available on them, the theme park Blackpool Pleasure Beach with lots of rollercoaster fun, the famous Blackpool Tower, zoo, waxworks, Sealife Centre and lots more. I spent many happy holidays there and still go for a few days most years. I never get tired of it. My dad likes to browse the charity shops and markets but I just like walking by the sea and chilling out. 


When I was about ten my parents took me abroad for the first time to Tenerife. Take off on the plane was terrifying and my ears were in agony when I landed. Now I never fly without chewing gum! The best part of Tenerife was visiting the volcano of Mount Teide! We went to Tenerife for years but I started to get bored with holidays just sitting around the swimming pool. I've been to the US just once, to Dallas on a work related training course and it was so hot and humid that I suffered for it! Of course I decided to go for a walk one afternoon from my hotel outside Six Flags way over to the Arlington ball park. Had it not been for the help of locals supplying water I wouldn't have made it back alive! I did get to see where JFK was shot and photograph the area, which was great as I love American history!


My solo ventures around the world took me to the beautiful Cape Town in South Africa. The scenery there was totally stunning and there was so much to do. I was walking across Table Mountain, going to Robben Island to see where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for years, taking a trip down the coast to Cape Point where the views were amazing, wildlife parks where I saw lions, zebra, a leopard, giraffes, crocodiles etc, scenic drives, amazing food and great people! I loved Cape Town! I even fitted in a cricket match while I was there.  


I haven't actually flown since 9/11 though that is down to cost and the hassle of it, rather than fear of terrorism and my family have stuck to holidays in the UK. As well as returning to Blackpool, we've visited The Lake District, Lancashire and Yorkshire on a regular basis and up to Fort William in the highlands. I enjoy the scenery and it's only a four hour drive from home so it's not too far.

Where are your favourite holiday destinations? Where did you go as a kid? Where would you like to visit? Does the hassle of airports put you off going abroad?

16 comments:

  1. I mostly just remember camping when I was a kid. We camped A LOT. I don’t have much experience with traveling abroad because it’s expensive. I’ve been to Canada and Mexico twice each, but that’s it. I’m determined to get to Europe someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been camping! I'm too scared of bugs and serial killers with machetes! Yes my imagination does go a bit wild sometimes...I'd have liked to see Canada and more of the US but I don't fancy all the hassles of air travel now!

      Delete
  2. You've been to some really neat places and I would love to visit anyplace with wildlife. As a kid, we used to go to Florida (Lake Okeechobee) in Florida because my grandparents spent the winter there and we would stay with them. I remember going to Nashville and being able to take my school friend - as am only child vacations were sometimes boring on my end. I didn't like country music so the trip was a bust - haha. As I got older, we did more local trips like Kings Island. However, when I was in Jr. High, my friend Debbie moved to Savannah and we missed each other terribly so we would rotate summer vacations and one year she would spend 2 weeks with me and the next I would spend 2 with her. We did that for several years and I really thought I would end up living in Savannah as an adult because I liked it so much. We don't do many trips now because of the pups and to be honest, I'd rather stay home anyway. I'm more of a homebody and Mr. Barb and I have fun together when at home and don't need to add the extra stress of traveling a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great sounding places to visit in the US which I would have loved to see! Nashville might suit me as I do like country music! I wanted to go to Orlando with all the theme parks especially Harry Potter...I also enjoy being at home, cuddling up to a stuffed monkey with a nice book and warm fire! The thought of airport searches, being ejected by airline staff, lost luggage and power shutdowns don't really appeal much to me!

      Delete
  3. You have done quite a bit of traveling. I haven't left the U.S. except for when I was 2 my parents walked into Mexico carrying me and didn't stay very long until they walked back to Texas. I have been to Florida quite a few times and visited Washington DC and Virginia Beach a few years ago. We don't really fly since it can be quite costly with a family so we stick to vacations within a day's drive. The past couple of years my daughter has used our vacation budget to go on trips with her band and Mr. Random Life and I stay home and enjoy the silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying is very expensive and stressful. I don't expect to be flying again unless maybe to the south of England but even that is doubtful. I'm more of a homebody now!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Cape Town must have been such an adventure! Awesome!

    When I was little, we always went to Greece. My parents were big fans and we picked a different Greek Island every year. My brother and I loved it, we always had a good time! I love the atmosphere, the little white houses, the beaches and the food! I think my favourite Island is Kos. We went there twice, when I was 5 & 6 and I have the best memories!

    We went to Turkey once, but my parents didn't like it. 10year old me loved it though, because the pools were MASSIVE!

    When I was old enough to travel alone, my girlfriends and I usually went to Mallorca (yeah, the German's favourite destination ;-) ). It was cheap and nice enough, but I don't need to go back.

    When I was going to uni, I went to live in Northern Ireland twice during my semester break. Loved the city, but never the weather.

    Now that I am living in Australia, I enjoy travelling the country. There's so much here! Western Australia is beautiful and so is Cairns. We went to Bali once and that was nice as well.

    Next, I would love to travel the south of the USA as well as Mexico. We want to go to Fiji, Thailand, Japan, Hawaii and travel more within the country. I like it where it's hot^^

    Oh yes, and I love airports. They always make me happy, cause I am looking forward to going somewhere nice. I am okay with flying, once we're up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cape Town is gorgeous but it's a long flight from the UK and I'm not a great flier! I think the Greek Islands look gorgeous but the hear would be too much for me I think. I could just sit on one of those beaches right now and read in the shade...bliss! I never really fancied Turkey much. If we had went there when I was a kid I'd have loved it for the swimming pools by the sound of it! Your holidays sound really great!

      You have some great plans for future travel. Part of me is jealous but I don't think I could deal with the airports! Working in them was bad enough!

      Delete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of flying and generally vacation in my home state since we have a beautiful resort town in the northern part of the state we go to all the time. But I like Orlando for the theme parks and enjoy taking trips to Chicago and various places. I need to get to Europe.

    Tenerife looks fabulous and kind of otherworldy? I can see that almost looking like another planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They filmed a lot of westerns in Tenerife because of the desolate volcanic landscape. My dad found that really exciting! I loved being on an actual volcano! It started my love of volcanoes and I so much want to go to Vesuvius and Etna!

      Delete
  6. You've done a lot of travelling! I've only ever been out of the US twice, both times to Aruba. Other than that we've only done road trips, usually local - Maine, Salem, Massachusetts, NH. The furthest we've driven was to South Carolina. My husband decided to drive straight thru coming home and developed a blood clot his leg. That put an end to our travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem was that my mum loved Tenerife so much we went there year after year when my dad and I wanted to try other countries. I wish I had seen a bit more of Europe. I would love some of those US road trips, maybe in a big RV! So many great places to see. Oh poor Mr Bark! Blood clots are nasty.

      Delete
  7. oh, spending your childhood's holidays in seaside resort must have been wonderful. I'm ok with flying but for me traveling by bus is an agony because I suffer from motion sickness! Cars, buses and trains are the worse. Canary Islands is on my bucket list for when I finally visit my family in Spain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of Blackpool even though I don't go on the rollercoasters anymore! I've always felt happy there, like a second home and I love just watching the sea on a nice day. I'd have liked to have tried more of the Canary Islands just to see some different places.

      Delete
  8. Ugh I just dictated a whole comment, and then it disappeared -_- okay, here I go again. That Blackpool place sounds amazing! But you'd better never come to where I live if you don't like humidity. I'm the opposite in that I'm so used to humidity I can't handle it when it's too dry. My skin and lips get all cracked and chapped. I've never been on a plane, but I've been all over the US, to Canada, to Mexico, and to some other Caribbean places. It's been awhile since I've vacationed though, so I'm not sure that I really have a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some people would describe Blackpool as cheap and tacky but I love the sights and smells! I always thought I'd end up living there but it never happened. Yeah hot and humid is not my friend! Our mild climate suits me fine! I bet you've seen some really great places on your travels.

      Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. I really appreciate it, knowing the pain you've been in recently. *hugs*

      Delete