Friday, 30 June 2017

Chuckles Chat #23 A.I in Your Home!

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

If you have followed my blog for a while, you will know that I'm a bit of a technophobe! I don't use a mobile phone or tablet, no laptop or apps, no IPOD, very few social media sites and no fancy watch that can tell in time in other dimensions! My idea of modern is my old mp3 player, a personal cd player and a dvd machine, with a computer and modem that drives me mad half the time! That's as modern as it gets for me, unless you count a digital camera. Anyway I see the latest thing is to have that Alexa thing from Amazon in your home.

Am I the only one creeped out by this? This personal assistant thing lurks in your home locked inside a box, listening to your conversations, interacting with your devices and buying things that you ask it for...and people like that kind of thing? Does anyone sit and wonder if the creators can also listen in to all your private conversations? Do you think about hackers being able to hijack the signal and get all this extra information for identity fraud? 

Amazon says that Alexa only listens after you say the wake up word thing but doesn't that mean that the thing has to be on all the time to HEAR you speak that word? To provide you with answers to questions about the nearest pizza place etc it must be monitoring your location. And if your voice recordings are hacked and grabbed by criminals, they can use it in these new places where your transactions will be by voice recognition like banks. Does that not freak anyone out? It freaks me out! And on the subject of voice recognition banking, a bank was fooled by the customer's brother so it can't work all that well!

I've read a story where a guy on TV was talking about a news story and when he said that Alexa had ordered the kid a dollshouse, every home with Alexa tuned to that tv channel bought their owners a dollshouse! I'm not kidding, here is the article! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2568314/amazon-echo-keeps-on-buying-dollshouses-without-its-owners-permission/  Seriously if I want to do some online shopping I'll put my padded butt in my computer chair and order it myself! It hardly takes long with one click!  At the moment there are a ton of annoying Alexa adds on TV with actors asking it to buy things so I wonder if that has set off the devices of people watching the tv who have the voice command thing activated?

Seriously, I don't want something basically spying on me 24 hours a day. Did you know that Samsung smart tvs not only record your conversations but pass it on to third parties? So if you don't want your private conversations going to third parties, destroy your smart tv or go outside to talk to your family! Are you scared yet??? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/03/08/smart-tv-perfect-way-spy/ The latest plan is for interactive toys to spy on children and record their conversations, to discover the childs likes and dislikes. Now that isn't creepy?  
https://consumerist.com/2016/12/06/these-toys-dont-just-listen-to-your-kid-they-send-what-they-hear-to-a-defense-contractor/ 

No you can keep all that technology thanks! Stephen Hawking thinks that AI could be the death of the human race so who am I not to listen to him? When the AI revolution comes and your Alexa device tries to throttle you in your sleep, or your robot servant comes after you with a machete, I'll be in a safe location where they can't get me! You won't take me alive you creepy mind controlling techno things!!!

Do you use any kind of AI? Does the idea of AI give you nightmares or do you embrace technology?

14 comments:

  1. I have an ipod but it's an older one and it was a gift. I love my technology as far as my tablet, smart TV, wireless internet but I have no desire for another entity in my home which is what I would call dear old Alexa. My newer Kindle has it on it which I can use because I have Amazon Prime and I disabled it. I'll stick with my furry companions - not an AI one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out for that smart tv spying on you...I've seen some very dodgy stories about that! I just find the whole AI thing creepy! Better off with dogs for sure!

      Delete
  2. I’m not a technophobe, but I’m too broke to afford most technology. I have 2 laptops, an IPod, and a camera. I don’t even have a phone anymore. Technology tends to stress me out, so I’d rather spend my money on books instead of gadgets.

    (A watch that tells time in other dimensions would be awesome, though.)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get stressed when I have to tune in tvs or other stuff...I hate it! I couldn't afford to buy these fancy phones and stuff so I'm glad I don't want it!

      Delete
  3. wow Id id not know that about Alexa! I haven't been paying too much attention to it. I'm always late for the latest gadget parties :) I love the idea of AI because of all the human creativity, ingenuity and hard work behind it. I'm a sucker for when humankind take leaps like that... BUT I have watched enough Sci-Fi thrillers to know AI is what will bring civilization to its knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI would be useful in theory but I just don't trust the things! I've watched all these robot films! I guess I really am a technophobe!

      Delete
  4. I just don't fancy Alexa, too much like Big Brother is watching me! I do use Siri occasionally but I'll fully it admit it's only to ask it stupid things like the meaning of life!!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the idea of something like that in my house doing things for me-it freaks me out!

      Delete
  5. It's not just you. I've thought about it too how weird that Alexa thing is. I mean, it'd prob be a bit handy with my tennis elbow, but it still creeps me out too much that I don't think I'd get it unless I ever truly NEEDED it. And toys to spy on kids? That's especially weird :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if I get to the stage of needing help with things I might have a different opinion but for now I'll do the stuff myself! Those interactive toys for kids remind me of Chuckie from Child's Play!

      Delete
  6. We have an Echo/Alexa and we love it! We mainly use her to tell us the time, weather, play music for the kids, and the most invaluable feature of all, add stuff to the shopping list on the fly. Honestly, I'm not too worried or creeped out by it, no more than I am concerned about using my phone or shopping online. The only pesky thing about it is that my daughter's name sounds very close to the wake word, so every time I call my daughter's name, the device activates, lol.

    We probably don't even use half of what's in Alexa's features though. Some people I know use lots of them, including hooking up their lights, environmental controls etc. to voice activate. As you can imagine, there are lots of awesome stories and reviews out there about how Alexa has helped the aged and disabled.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously I can see how useful a tool things like Alexa can be...like you were saying about the disabled. It certainly has benefits. I just feel creeped out that all my buying habits are recorded by some guy in an office to learn about my buying habits! *shudder*

      Delete
  7. I definitely do NOT want Alexa in my home, it creeps me out. I never thought about the point you make, in that it has to be on to hear you say the wake-up word. Nooooooo thanks!

    ReplyDelete