Friday, 2 June 2017

Book Review: Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen


Are you a special snowflake?

Do you enjoy networking to advance your career?

Is adulthood an exciting new challenge for which you feel fully prepared?

Ugh. Please go away.

This book is for the rest of us. These comics document the wasting of entire beautiful weekends on the internet, the unbearable agony of holding hands on the street with a gorgeous guy, dreaming all day of getting home and back into pajamas, and wondering when, exactly, this adulthood thing begins. In other words, the horrors and awkwardnesses of young modern life.


My Review: 
I don't generally read this kind of thing but I saw it popping up on a lot of blogs that I was visiting plus a few of the cartoons looked funny and ironic so I took the pluge and bought it. And I was glad that I did because I found it entertaining, funny and totally relevant to my life.

Firstly I love the drawings in the book. The facial expressions that the character gets when she is freaking out or scared are so funny! She gets this brilliant sort of manic look and it kind of looks like my inner Chuckles is on the loose! That should mean that I'll reread this quite a few times in the future.

I can relate to so many of the cartoon scenarios that the author discusses. I am the type who would rather slump somewhere comfy or read or blog rather than venturing out into the real world. I detest using the phone and would rather hide than talk to someone on it. I get stressed out on the few occasions that I try to use the phone and what I do manage to blurt out tends to make little sense! I also hate bumping into people that I know and having to make small talk. You're more likely to find me hiding behind a clothes rack to avoid talking to someone! I'm not really much of a social animal! So all these cartoons call out to me in a big way.

I hate clothes shopping! I think she is right that shop assistants make up any size for clothes tags as nothing in my size ever seems to find and I get all sweaty and irritated trying on multiple sizes. I remember well the horror of getting stuck in something that is too small for you and hiding whimpering in the cubicle wondering what to do about it. I still have nightmares about that...Everything you want to wear DOES leave your bra on display! I agreed with her rant about clothing companies not knowing that bras exist! Yes to sniffing the new books! Yes to using maternal urges to buy new cuddily toys to mother instead of having children! (my stuffed monkeys will testify to the love given to them!)

And who could not love the ever plotting evil cartoon uterus who is scheming to ruin all of her days! I also loved the unshaved at the beach cartoon...that really cracked me up!

This book is a lot of fun and is a short entertaining read. It looks at social and life situations and pokes a little fun at them, while delivering a message. Liked this!

Read April 2017 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

8 comments:

  1. I have to get my hands on this book. I love the part about the cuddlily toys to mother rather than kids. I think this book is for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it so much. The facial expressions on the cartoon people are very funny!

      Delete
  2. I think I need this book in my life. I’ve seen it around the blogosphere, and it looks cute and funny. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read this. I'm getting ready to write reviews for a fun series told similar to this. Have you heard of the Dear Dumb Diaries series. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dear Dumb series wouldn't really suit me as diaries of schoolkids aren't my kind of thing to read. I could relate to the anxiety and stress of the Sarah Andersen books because I live those scenarios!

      Delete
  4. oh I adore this book so much! Yes the facial expression are so funny! and yes I could relate to ALL of it! LOL Glad you enjoy it too even though is not what you usually read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes something totally different can be fun for a change and these books were certainly fun!

      Delete