Sunday, 4 June 2017

Book Review: Big Mushy Happy Lump


Sarah Andersen's hugely popular, world-famous Sarah's Scribbles comics are for those of us who boast bookstore-ready bodies and Netflix-ready hair, who are always down for all-night reading-in-bed parties and extremely exclusive after-hour one-person music festivals.

In addition to the most recent Sarah's Scribbles fan favorites and dozens of all-new comics, this volume contains illustrated personal essays on Sarah's real-life experiences with anxiety, career, relationships and other adulthood challenges that will remind readers of Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half and Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened. The same uniquely frank, real, yet humorous and uplifting tone that makes Sarah's Scribbles so relatable blooms beautifully in this new longer form.


My Review: 
As soon as I read the first book I just had to order the second one! Again this was full of cartoons about anxiety, life, the down side of being a woman, book love and the things that really drive you mad. Lots to relate to! And the cartoons are as manic and funny as the first book.

It starts with the difference between how a man or woman compliment us, showing how women are happy to compliment each other's underwear without it feeling weird. That is so true! I can relate to the look of pure horror on her face when she realises the price of the outfit she likes. The motivation going out the window happens to me a lot! The author discusses the unfairness of puberty on women which made me laugh.

The cartoon I most relate to is the book buying. The cartoons show her spending the very minimum on food and household items so she can splurge like a rich girl on the pile of books! Oh yes this is me!!! Books are like the most importance purchases in my life!!! I also relate to the fact that when you are reading on public transport with your headphones on, someone always prods you to ask what you are reading. Grrr! As for being plagued by bills, nuisance calls and spam, welcome to my life! Those things drive me nuts.

There is another section in the book where the author details her experiences with social anxieties, stress and over thinking things. Again I can relate a lot to that. But I like the way it is delivered in a fun and engaging way so the narrative doesn't get too heavy.

I look forward to more of these books if she does them! 

Read April 2017 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you she addresses all the crap of life (lol) in a fun and engaging way! I love her art too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice light fun reads to cheer you up after a crap day!

      Delete
  2. Now I need both of them and I can totally relate to the book buying thing. The only thing that really takes precedent over it is buying things for the pups - which I also love to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On certain subjects she is certainly channelling me!

      Delete
  3. I read the first of the Sarah Scribbles books and really enjoyed it. I will probably need to get my hands on this one. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both of them...hope there are more to come!

      Delete
  4. I was laughing when I spotted your post in me emails. LOL
    I know I'm going to end up grabbing these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read this kind of thing but I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  5. Everything about the book sounds like fun.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to so many of the life woes she talks about!

      Delete
  6. yes!! These two books are adorable! And yes my favorite was that she is a bookworm too. AND... The Uterus!!! I just can get over the Uterus lol lol lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Uterus was so funny wasn't it? I loved that, her booky moments and the not shaving her legs for the beach!

      Delete