Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week we have Ten Things That Turn You Off A Book. I'm not being critical of anyone who likes these things in books. This is just what I personally dislike.

1) The Undesirable Heroes 
This is when you get a hero/heroine you just can't stand. The rapist/domestic violence thug. The whiny pathetic female. The criminal/junkie who gleefully robs innocent people. The sexist, racist or bigot. The MCs who are drunk and drugged up most of the book. Characters that are just horrible and obnoxious that you want to headbutt...if I hate the MC I rarely finish the book as I just don't engage with that character.

2) The Half Naked Cover and Sex Overdose
I hate it when I go to look at new urban fantasy books and see the half naked so called hunky men on the cover. You just KNOW that this is going to end up as sex filled paranormal romance instead of the ass kicking action that you wanted to read. If I see this kind of cover I totally ignore it and look for something else, whatever the blurb might say. Even if the book sounds good, I won't risk being overdosed by sex scenes.

3) Love Triangles
I hate this more than any other trope in the world EVER! As soon as I see any mention of two hot guys on the MCs radar, I bodyswerve the book. I don't want my UF or dystopia being dominated by relationship angst...if I wanted that, I would read romance! Too many UF authors seem obsessed with this and don't get that a lot of us don't want that in every book we read! I will not pick up any book that even hints at a love triangle. Dealbreaker for me.

4) Instaluv
I hate this trope. The starry eyed fourteen year old who sees the boy at school and he is her soulmate. One shared look and the adult female knows this is forever. Yes I get it is fiction but I still get bugged by this in my books. I have no issue with attraction but I hate the exchange of 'I love you' two pages after they meet. If romance is there I want to see a gradual shift in their status not the starry eyed claptrap!

5) You Smell! 
I'm seeing a lot of this in UF and it winds me up. The characters hate each other so much but have to work together. She bitches at him every page, he's a sexist pig to her but it all turns lovey dovey by the end. Gag! I get tired of the juvenile squabbling and I've seen a lot of good UF stories being ruined by the constant bitching which overshadows everything. It's the 'you smell!' childish playground behaviour. I quite often DNF this kind of book.

6) Cliche Story 
How often do you see YA books where MC is bullied by bitchy cheerleaders or falls for Queen Bitch's hot jock boyfriend? MC pursued by every hot guy on the planet? The same old angst storylines? Wanted for a crime they didn't commit? I like to see an author using their imagination and delivering a story that isn't full of tropes or copying a thousand other books. I'm excited when I see something different from an author not just the same tired story plots.

7) Retellings
I'm seeing a ton of these books, retellings of everything from The Wizard of Oz to Dracula. I'm just not a fan of reading an author who is telling a version of a story that someone else wrote. It is only if I really love the subject that I will even consider picking it up but for the most part I give them a miss. I prefer authors with new ideas.

8) Steampunk and Epic History plot
I just don't like this genre at all. I've tried reading it because the idea of it intrigues me and there are great covers out there but I really don't like the Victorian setting with society tea dances and sexism. By epic history I mean like a vampire story that covers all 200 years of it's vampire life before getting to the real story or descriptions of every generation of the family history. That bores me as I find it too slow.

9) Angels and Religion
I avoid books with Angels in them for the most part. I don't know what it is about them that I just don't like in books but often the books go way too far into religious themes which I hate seeing a lot of in book. The idea of mortals breeding with Angels is a particular turn off as is a book that constantly tries to preach and convert. I hate having characters written to just push the religious views of the author onto the reader.

10) Animal Cruelty and Dead Dogs
I cannot bring myself to read sad non fiction books where dogs die or any book that gives out a warning about themes of animal abuse in the blurb or in Goodreads reviews. If a fiction book has a character abusing his dog (take a bow Patrick Ness) then I will likely DNF it at that point. I want entertainment but I just don't find animal abuse something that I ever want to read.

14 comments:

  1. I agree with some of your points, Chuckles! Instaluv and love triangles for one... The undesirable hero / heroine as well. And some re-tellings are so out there I have to roll my eyes, so I tend to avoid them more often than not as well. Angels... now, if we are talking more religious angels, I'm probably not going to read it. But paranormal angels who are bad-ass appeal to me. Animal cruelty and child abuse are also subjects I usually steer clear of.
    Of course, I don't mind the hunky cover or the sex in my stories, though :p
    Have a terrific Tuesday!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it that all the books with great sounding plots seem to have something that annoys? Grrr! I see a good plot then I read that the arrogant male is in it or there is a love triangle. Gag! Do authors not care about those of us who hate these tropes??? *rants*

      Delete
  2. No. 1 cracked me up because those do all sound horrible lol. But unfortunately there are way too many sexist, abusive, rapist, or near-rapist heroes out there.

    I don't like books about angels usually either, but for different reasons. I've never found them very religious. It's just they tend to be about epic battles of good vs. evil with very little character focus and unrealistic characters and/or the angels are portrayed as terrible/awful creatures. I do like reading about reapers though, which are often portrayed as a type of angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like reapers...I've read quite a few about them by the likes of Christina Henry and Stephanie Jackson. They are good characters. Angels seem to have dreadful personalities most of the time which switches me off them for sure.

      Delete
  3. So many good reasons to stay away from books here. I hate instaluv as well and really should have thought to add it to my lists. Everytime I see Patrick Ness books raved about (that series in particular) I think back to what you warned me about and think "why are these people raving over this! I also hate half dressed people on covers. I mean really, is that what you are wearing when the world goes up in smoke - or worse yet, you're wearing that to fight demons and monsters? Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those covers drive me mad...the long haired guys with bulging muscles...you don't get them where I live, that's for sure! I'll never forgive Patrick Ness for poor Manchee!

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on steampunk and the awful half naked men on the covers of books you know are going to be just as awful as their cover! If an author has to use naked to sell a book I know I'm never going to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those covers so much! UF used to be about the story but too much of it has tropes and lacklustre romance. Mind you at least those covers are a warning and I can avoid them!

      Delete
  5. I can't stand the books that include animal cruelty! It makes me so angry and disgusted that I actually feel sick about it after I read it. I will stop reading a book any time I come to a scene like that. I can't stand insta-love or love triangles either. They drive me nuts. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't touch a fiction book that gives warnings about animal cruelty as I just know it will upset me. I don't get how having a plot like that will boost sales. If it doesn't warn of it in advance I will DNF instantly. It's a dealbreaker for me. Gah, intaluv and love triangles drive me mad!

      Delete
  6. Hahaha, #5! An adversarial relationship can be fun, to me, but it needs to feel adult as well, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean there. It's no fun having adults behaving like toddlers!

      Delete
  7. Constant squabbling gets on my nerves after a while, there's a fine line between sexual tension/ fun banter/ whatever and just too much. If they can't stop fighting why are they together lol? And retellings- ugh. Just not my thing.

    Not a fan of undesirable characters either. Or love triangles (ack) or insatluv. Animal cruelty too- just why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about it there are a lot of things I don't like in books! The constant fighting does annoy me if it is done in a whiny manner like kids in the playground. I don't mind so much like Nikki says if it is more adult ie two soldiers with differing views on a mission. That conflict in a couple of zombie books has been gripping.

      Delete