Friday, 28 April 2017

Book Review: Dark Days Rough Roads by Matthew D Mark


A normal day at work turns into a man’s worst nightmare when the country is plunged into dark and dangerous times within a matter of minutes. He needs unconventional skills and resources to mount a daring and deceptive plan to retrieve his daughter who is away at college. He’s hundreds of miles away and it seems like thousands. It’s a trip he planned for, but a trip resulting in some unexpected and deadly events as chaos grips the country.

Encountering friends and enemies along the way, the journey becomes a fight for their lives. With the help of both family and friends, they all hope to work their way towards a safe haven. A rogue militia group has a different idea in mind however. Teetering on the brink of a small civil war, drastic measures must be taken. Without technology, society begins to collapse. Without the basics to survive, people change. Without rule of law, it’s every person for their self. They have Dark Days and Rough Roads ahead of them.

This book is not only loaded with action and adventure, but suspense and drama as well. If you're a prepper or survivalist you'll love the military style guerrilla warfare, the tips, tricks and gadgets. If you're just an apocalypse reader, you'll love the insight into human behavior after the SHTF.


My Review: 
Roger is a prepper and is working at his local hospital when he recognises the effects of an EMP hitting the area. After quickly telling his co-workers what this means, he leaves, secures his property and goes to collect his daughter from college and check on his parents. Roger has a detailed plan that each of his family have agreed to follow in the opening days of the apocalypse to keep them safe and slowly bring them together. The final plan is to go to his summer property in a rural area but unknown to Roger, a brutal militia have taken over that town...

This is really a two part story. The first part is about the immediate aftermath of the EMP where everyone tries to get to survive and link up for safety. We follow Roger as he ensures his parents are safe, which is where his siblings and their family will head for over the coming hours while he focuses on getting to his daughter. He disguises his car as a federal vehicle in the hope of getting through any roadblocks and keeping people away from him but it proves to be a bad decision. He finds more danger as he closes in on his ex-wife's house as local thugs try to take control of the streets and bring terror to local residents.

We follow his parents Bev and Rich at their home as they anxiously wait for the rest of the family to gradually arrive, starting with daughter Elizabeth who is worried about her missing husband. Waiting for updates from Roger and for everyone to arrive is an anxious time. We also follow the fortunes of Roger's co-worker and newby prepper Dawn who leaves the hospital to link up with her sister Diana and mum Karen. They face immediate danger when a man decides he wants to steal a bike from them. What happens next will have implications for the women.

The book then moves on to the journey, which has plenty excitement of its own as the group encounter thieves who are happy to shoot Roger's group. This puts into perspective how dangerous the world has become. Their next encounter is with trigger-happy men on motorbikes who belong to a local militia. This militia are led by those with power in the town who want control of all the food supplies and are based at the airport. Anyone who does not cooperate with them becomes targets. Roger is about to start causing trouble with them as he has no intention of giving up any of his supplies and will fight rather than give in. Roger hopes to start a rebellion amongst the people to take back their town. It is going to be a long and bloody battle which they may not win.

I liked the first part which has the traditional prepper road trip to the safe place plot. It had good tension and plenty action to keep me happy, while developing the characters nicely on the journey. But the book kicks into high gear when they arrive in the town and Roger discovers that the militia are stealing from the local people and making life miserable. He is not the kind of guy who is going to put up with that kind of thing and he starts to explore the area to see what he can do about it. I liked the plot of making contact with like minded people and gradually coming up with a plan. It is all leading to an all out battle for the town which is pretty exciting to read. I really enjoyed the plot development in this book which kept me guessing what would happen next.

Really looking forward to reading book 2!  

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

8 comments:

  1. I should be reading more books about prepers!!! I'm fascinating by prepping and I never read it. I want to make a prep road trip list for my kids and I'm sure a book like this would help especially because it concentrates in what happens when you reach your destination and it's not wheat you expected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepping fascinates me too...I love reading about them getting ready for disasters and planning all their projects and then the dangerous road trips and battling bad guys. If you're going to plan a prep list for the kids you'd probably be better off with non fiction prepper books. I have plenty of those on my Goodreads prepper shelf.

      Delete
  2. Is it weird that I am endlessly fascinated by people who are preppers. There was a show here on for a while called 'Doomsday Preppers' and I could not stop watching it. Then there was a spin-off called 'DoomsDay Castle' that featured one of the families from the original show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Doomsday Preppers or Doomsday Castle yet but plan to this summer! I've always found these end of the world topics interesting since I saw a TV series about nuclear war when I was at school. When I read my first fiction prepper book I was hooked and now I hoover up fiction and non fiction on the subject!

      Delete
  3. Ooh I like that cover. Looks very apocalyptic! This sounds awesome and I love the idea of having to navigate a dangerous countryside to get to a haven. Plus EMP's are such a scary apocalypse. And the idea of people changing when society breaks down... definitely adding this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ton of these 'road trip to safety' kind of books and I'm always grabbing new ones. I can't get enough of these kinds of books whether it is EMP, viruses, zombies...so lots more to look forward to on the blog! A few series I've reviewed recently like Ben Reeder, JD McKenna and Mark D Matthew will be getting read soon I hope.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of this one, Chuckles. It sounds really well done and I like the fact that the story covers the disaster and a bit down the road. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly action packed! I'm not sure what is going to happen in book two but it's at the top of my list to read!

      Delete