Saturday, 8 April 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Saturday again and this year is flying by. It's been a good week for reading overall, not in the amount of time I've spent on it, but good in the amount of books I've got done. Yes a lot were short story or novellas but they all count right? I read all of the Bigfoot War books that were available and it was a fun series overall plus I have finished the first two novels and the first batch of short stories in my series read of The Morganville Vampires. I'm enjoying it so far...so many good characters on both sides. I have a few other horror things I plan to get to over the coming month so I'm happy with the start I've got and hope it continues. I'm still binge watching Gold Rush and will start season seven tonight so by next Saturday I should be fully caught up. Yea! I love that series!

The book buying went into splurge mode this week and I did liberate a *few* paperbacks from Amazon's stockpile. I'm being kind to books by offering them new homes...it's kind of like rehoming rescue dogs...ahem. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! So I got new books by Darrell Maloney and James R Tuck, a couple of Bigfoot War books I didn't have, completed my Orbs trilogy by Nicholas Sansbury Smith, and a few great sounding apocalypse series I haven't tried yet! Exciting times! It kills the tbr again though...

PAPERBACKS:











Chuckles Blogging World: 

It was another very productive blogging week with plenty of reviews and features being posted which I'm happy about. I started slow on replying to comments left on the blog but I think I answered them all and I got a reasonable number of blog visits in as well. Everything went pretty smoothly. I like weeks like that...As always, if you missed any of the posts I did this week, just click on the link provided and it'll take you straight there. 

 Book Reviews:

This week I did some of my favourite urban fantasy reads in my Retro Reads series, where I showcase books that have already featured on The Book Cave, for the benefit of new followers who might not have seen the original posting. I continued with a few more of the Arisen zombie series that I read back in February, and two lots of mini-reviews which gets more of the review backlog sorted! Enjoy the zombies and monsters!

Michael Stephen Fuchs-The Horizon (Arisen #6)

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Death of Empires (Arisen #7) 

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Empire of the Dead (Arisen #8)

DD Barant-Dying Bites

MLN Hanover-Unclean Spirits

Kelly Meding-Three Days to Dead

Sonya Bateman-Master of None

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Horizon

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up #1

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up #2

Regular Features: 

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten TV Series I was addicted to

Chuckles Cover Love-Kendra C Highley

Discussion Posts:

Chuckles Chat-Cliffhangers 

Game of Thrones Gossip-Benjen Stark

Book Challenge Updates: 

I'm happy with the way April has started for my book challenges. I'm continuing with my series catchup this month, trying to get the first four of the Morganville Vampires read along with a few other series. I'd like to get more than the four tackled if I can as they are reasonable sized reads...we'll see how it goes. My other ongoing challenge this month is my Horror Month full of killers and monsters! I'm off to a good start with that too.

April Horror Month

Chuckles 2017 Series Read Challenge-April

 My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 90/250which is looking really good with just over three months of the year gone. On target!

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 806. I did manage to get below the 800  but spoiled it by having a paperback book splurge! Gah, book ban needed!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

30 comments:

  1. How kind of you to offer some books new homes ;) It's our duty as bookworms, right?! Hope you enjoy them :)

    Congrats on the Goodreads goal! That's looking really good.
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help being so kind! *giggles* It is our sacred duty, as you say. Without us where would those poor books be?! Have a great week too!

      Delete
  2. Rehoming books is totally what we do. They'd be lonely, otherwise! ;) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to look at it to ease the guilt...not that I'm feeling any to be honest! May you rehome many books during the week...!

      Delete
  3. WOW, Chuckles, that's quite the haul you got. And isn't it so satisfying to get a bunch of paperbacks? They are just so tangible :D
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't describe how smug and satisfied I am with these new purchases! Shiny covers, new book smell...there is nothing like a paperback splurge...hope you also have a good weekend and say hi to Freddy for me!

      Delete
  4. haha I had a bit of a splurge week too! I kept trying not to request anything but I couldn't help myself! I think next year I'm going to make my Backlist Reading Challenge the same number as the New Releases. I know I can't stop myself from the new releases but I really want to get my TBR List down. Glad to hear that you had a great blogging week. Hope that continues for you next week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be in control of the blogging but can't control my book buying! But I LIKE buying them too much! There has to be a book ban for at least a week to get back on track. Yeah right, like THAT is going to happen...

      Delete
  5. LOL. I did a little Amazon's stockpile liberation myself this week. There should be two big boxes arriving in the mail this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love seeing that delivery coming down the path. There is something very soothing about those brown boxes...

      Delete
  6. Rehoming books is the best thing ever. I feel like the Santa Claus of literacy. Everybody gets a book!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, all the books come into my house and stay there! Nobody else gets one as a gift! MINE! My preccciioouuss!

      Delete
  7. The titles with 900 has got me curious. What's up with the number? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book 900 miles is because he is stranded 900 miles from home in a zombie apocalypse. Not sure about the 900 minutes sequel.

      Delete
  8. There are so many books to be liberated! You're just doing your part right? :) I still think those Bigfoot Wars books look fun, and so does Orbs Stranded. I'm liking Horror Month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bigfoot War books are the way I like my Bigfoots: mean, angry and rampaging! None of this fluffy Disney stuff! I shall continue to do my duty for the books!

      Delete
  9. Awesome reading goal. Last year I set my goal to 250 and got behind when my girl had her surgery and was never able to catch up. So, I started supplementing my regular nonfiction with 'cozy mysteries' and chick lit that I could read in an hour or two. I came within 10 books of my goal, but decided at about 10 PM on December 31st that I was done stressing bout a goal that I could not reach and ended the year reading a fantastic nonfiction book by Sarah Bryson about Charles Brandon. This year my goal is a more modest 150, here's hoping we all reach our goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hit 300 but don't want to put that pressure on myself in case I have a few bad weeks like I did last summer. I hope the surgery went well and everything is ok now. I do read a lot of shorter apocalypse books which does make it easier to hit goals. Stressing about goals like that can drive you mad sometimes!

      Delete
  10. You certainly have had a productive week. I just ordered a copy of Hell Hound as well. We must be visiting some of the same blogs. I am super curious about the dog on the first two books. They look really good. Glad you are enjoying the Morganville books. I remember watching a series based on them once - I think it was on youtube. Hope you have another great week with the monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Hell Hound on a horror blog I think and liked the idea of seeing some of it from the dog's perspective. Fun! I love the covers on the Chris Pike books...I meant to check the dog's name before I replied but of course I forgot...

      Delete
  11. You did a very good thing giving those poor books a good home. I like weeks where you mark a lot of things off the TBR list...even if they are short they count! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a humanitarian you know! I've already assisted a book to escape Amazon this week...

      Delete
  12. That's nice you got so much books read. I actually had the opposite type of week and only finished one book, but hey at least it was a good one.
    You got a nice stack of new books this week, I hope they're all good ones. I didn't do much blogging at all this week, but I hope I can get some comments in and visits done today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased at the standard of books since February-most have been decent or good. January was a poor month though! I have high hopes for this plie!

      Delete
  13. We do what we must right. Books need homes! LOL I need to get back into Bigfoot Wars. Right now I'm feeding my horror creatures fix. Some will be fining a home with me as soon as the mail drops them off. Now to check out some you've shared here.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books cannot be left to rot in Amazon warehouses...they must be saved! Already liberated a couple this week! I really need to watch the Bigfoot War dvd...I'm keen to see what they do with it now.

      Delete
  14. Reading is reading! You can count whatever you want (says the girl currently having a crisis over how to count webcomics lol). And I'm glad you're enjoying the vampire series! I haven't read that one. Heard of it, but don't know anything about it. That's also great you had a good blogging week. Maybe this week will be another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What attracted me to the Morganville Vampires was having a town where the vampires were in charge and the locals pledge themselves to different vampire protectors while the unprotected become dinner! Usually the vampires live secretly so this was a bit different. Enjoying it so far, starting book four.

      Delete
  15. My goodness you are one busy blogger! Hellhounds is a book I need to read very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've realised if I ever want to catch up on book reviews on the blog I need to post about three things a day which is kind of scary!

      Delete