Monday, 24 April 2017

Mythology with Chuckles #1 Kushtaka




The Kushtaka is native to Alaska and is generally described as a half man half otter, hence the name which translates to land otter-man. It is believed to be a shapeshifter who appears to people as someone they know to lure them into the woods or river. They are often associated with the Sasquatch, being of similar height and fear factor. Imagine the head of an otter on the body of a Sasquatch sized beast and they don't sound very cuddily.

In most of the legends these are creatures that you want to avoid, said to be cruel and vicious, luring you to a grisly death or being turned into a fellow Kushtaka. Other legends have these cryptids as being helpful to those who are lost, comforting them with visions of their family. The worst of the legends seem to indicate that the Kushtaka subject their victims to the worst moments of their life by using their fears against them. The following page discusses a book written about the legend of the Kushtaka.

https://www.createspace.com/4707073 

Many people who have had encounters with the Kushtaka have shared their stories online and in books.

http://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2013/08/beware-kushtaka.html 

Many monster hunter type TV shows have features the legend of the Kushtaka. The first is an episode of Missing in Alaska called . It features the fascinating stories of several people who claim to have seen the beast and one of the men still looks freaked out just talking about it. It was interesting and creepy in the woods but no evidence was really found.


A second show to feature the Kushtaka is Alaska Monsters where the presenters go in search of the monster. I haven't watched this one yet.


Want to read some books about the Kushtaka? Here are some fiction and non fiction books available.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25052392-kushtaka 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25256227-kushtaka 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/602395.Shamans_and_Kushtakas 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22118948-in-search-of-the-kushtaka-alaska-s-other-bigfoot 

If you hear of any other fiction books about this subject please let me know!This sounds like the kind of monster I want to read about!

8 comments:

  1. No I have never read a book about the Kushtaka! I hadn't even heard f it until now. How interesting! :) I do have a hard time imagining a vicious otter though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it until last week when I watched Missing in Alaska. I thought it would be a great monster to read fiction about!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of one of these before. How strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved finding out about this one. I'll never think of otters in the same way again!

      Delete
  3. Ooh I like. This one is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to feature monsters from different cultures and countries if I can find enough to say about them. Hopefully anyone who has read a book about them or heard of books about them will share the details!

      Delete
  4. First I was like, aww but otters are cute! Then you got to the luring into the river part and all the other terribleness lol. I think it's neat though how a lot of creatures have legends that portray them as scary but others than portray them as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otters are adorable! But when you think of nine foot tall ones that want to eat you it gets less fun! I think in most cultures there will be varying legends about good and bad associated to each creature. I'm hoping to learn something with these posts and research!

      Delete