Saturday, 29 April 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Well another week goes by and it is almost May...can you believe it? This year is flying by! When we were kids, the summer seemed to last forever but now years just fly by. Gah, it's disturbing! Anyway I finally got back on track with my reading which is great news as I had been struggling to get anywhere recently. This week I got a few books read and things are back to normal. Yea! Need to get started on my reading list for next month and get through some more books-probably continue with my series read challenge for The Morganville Vampires and my shelf clearout with the non fiction books being targeted again. That sounds like a plan!
 
Being inspired by the upcoming General Election, I've been picking up some books about previous elections and the Brexit campaigns which should all be fun reads. I think I'll be reading a few political books before June 8th! I have a few more on order but they are slow in coming. Also picked up a few prepper topics to scare myself with! I've always been a bit twisted that way...
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 


Chuckles Blogging World:
 
 Another decent week in the world of blogging, getting the posts done that I wanted. I don't feel as though I did great in getting out to visit other blogs. For some reason I felt a bit rushed all week and short of time to get everything done. Must do better! However I am now totally finished catching up with all my reviews of my January reads! Now I can concentrate on the reviews for books I read in February. Getting really close on being up to date which is nice!  Click on the link provided to go to each blog post if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

Book Reviews:
 
It was a real mixture of reviewed books this week-urban fantasy, monster mayhem, humour, thriller and of course apocalypses and zombies! Hopefully, you might want to grab a couple of these books for your own reading pleasure!

Douglas Moore-Playing God

Timothy W Long-Z Risen: Outbreak

J Walker-The Fortress (ELE #2)

JD McKenna-The Dead Familiar (Winterhaven #1)

Matt Wallace-Envy of Angels (Sin De Jour #1)

Rick Chesler-Jurassic Dead

Sarah Dalton-My Daylight Monsters (Mary Hades #0.5)

Matthew D Mark-Dark Days Rough Roads

Regular Features:
 
Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Things that turn you off a book
 
Chuckles Cover Love-Jeff DeGordick

Mythology With Chuckles-Kushtaka

Chuckles Guide to the UK Election

Discussion Posts:
 
 Chuckles Chat-Changing Book Tastes

Game of Thrones Gossip-King's Landing

Book Challenge Updates:
 
My challenge to start reading the non fiction books breeding on my shelves has been tough but this was a better week. I expect to finish four books which isn't bad compared to previous weeks. It's a work in progress that I'll continue with through the year.

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 101/250 which is good and I need to stay motivated to keep that up.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 811. Not doing much to help myself get below 800. Stop buying books!!!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 


26 comments:

  1. I'm going to stay away from your election post, haha. My blood pressure is already going up, and I have my bloody cell biology exam on the day of the election to boot (scariest exam + the course I most love and want to do well in)! Looks like a good little haul of books, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to worry about the election posts-they aren't about policies or real politics or how I'm voting or anything like that. It's the funny and embarrassing stories and photo shoots and dumb stuff I'm talking about!

      Delete
  2. Good for you deciding to read all those political books! I am so bad at politics, lol ;)
    Have a lovely rest of the weekend and happy reading!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody else in my family is big on politics but I love reading books and following election campaigns in the UK and US. I'm even keeping an eye on the French elections as that will impact on us.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Agreed! Makes for interesting book choices...!

      Delete
  4. Wow. 800 books to read is impressive. But you seem to read several a week so at least there is a way to get to the end. Though we all know that NO one really does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hope to get at least books a week read and more if I can. You're right though, there will always be those new shiny books to lead us astray!

      Delete
  5. I agree, this year has been flying by! I can't believe it's already May! Glad to hear that you are back on track with your reading. Sometimes it's really hard to get back to it. I've read quite a few "meh" books lately so I'm really hoping to read something great soon because I don't want to fall fully into the slump. lol! I feel like I'm heading that way. Hope you enjoy your new books, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those meh spells in reading. I hope something really good comes your way very soon. I have lots of books left in series I started and loved so I know I have some really good reads coming at some point, which helps! Here's hoping you beat the slump!

      Delete
  6. *sighs* it may actually come in handy to read about the nuclear survivor tips, Chuckles...
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a worrying time isn't it? I'm not comparing Trump to him in North Korea but both are unpredictable in their own ways and it is troubling. Part of me feels dumb for reading things like this but the other part says 'just in case'...

      Delete
  7. Yes, April seemed to whiz by...
    The political books seem sensible during these times. Must stay informed, somehow.
    I am behind in visiting blogs lately. It is May self-challenge along with the various reading challenges.
    Looking forward to the letter you mentioned ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a political animal and sit up through the night as UK and Us results come in. I love it! I like reading behind the scenes of government and all the fights and scandals!

      Delete
  8. I've never been interested in political books myself, but I hope you enjoy them :-) And yay for being almost up to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, in May I will be reviewing my books from March as I seem to have taken care of February's through my recent mini review posts. It's great to get close to being caught up.

      Delete
  9. Time does seem to keep moving faster and faster. I sometimes just want everything to slow down. I am happy to hear that you are doing good with reading again. Enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it gets to the end of August I start enjoying the autumn and then winter! I'm relieved to get back on track with my reading before it became a problem.

      Delete
  10. It's always good to be prepared! I've always believed in having some kind of emergency survival plan...but I got nothing fancy like a nuclear bunker or an underground armory or anything like that though ;)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel everyone should be prepared for at least the basic of emergencies like a storm cutting the power for a few days or losing your water for a similar time. But with shaky economies, psycho dictators and terrorists, I feel a lot less secure than I did a few years ago and I'm actively doing more to prepare for anything. I'd love a nice country retreat with a bomb shelter but I don't see it happening unless I win the lottery!

      Delete
  11. I can’t believe it’s almost May. This year is going so fast, and I don’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going by quick. It's scary! Might need to step up the reading a bit!

      Delete
  12. Politics and prepper stuff might go well together nowadays lol. Some of us in the US are happy Trump hasn't blown us up yet (shouldn't laugh about that, should I). Anyway I hear you on time- summer did used to go by slower. Something about being a kid... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to laugh or you'd cry I think! We might not like our political leaders sometimes but most are sensible enough that you don't worry much about their nuclear policy. Corbyn is the exception at the moment as he won't sanction air strikes against terrorists and wants to get rid of everything nuclear. I suppose Trump is at least willing to take action...um...!

      Delete
  13. I can't believe it's May already. Some great looking books you have here. Sorry I didn't get to visit over the weekend - lots of trips and preparing for Mr. Barb's graduation and one other word - COUSINS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, the 'c' word! Totally understand! The year is flying by and there have been some great reads so far!

      Delete