Saturday, 15 April 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Another week goes sailing by and my reading hasn't really been up to scratch. I've been too busy watching Gold Rush dvds (all caught up but Dave you can't go!!!) and now Masterchef but I hope to get back on track this week. I'm continuing with my series read of The Morganville Vampires. I'm considering abandoning my other reading plans for April and just continue binge reading the vampires to get fully caught up. I'll play it by ear. It'll be another nervous weekend in front of Twitter as I cheer on my football team who are trying to avoid relegation. My stomach is in knots already!
 
There has been restraint at last this week in the book buying side of things but that is mainly down to being messed around by Amazon. I cancelled a whole order and a half after a massive delay that had the stuff waiting to be dispatched seven days after placing the order. Shoddy service to try and force you onto Prime no doubt but I'm not paying a yearly fee. When I had a free trial of Prime, the items in my first order arrived late so I decided then that there was no point to joining it and paying for stuff to be late! If I get messed about with the free delivery on orders I'll just cancel the orders instead and see how they like that. Not greatly happy with them right now but it's the only place that sells the Indie books I read. If I could get them at other bookshops I'd do it. Gah!
 
 DOWNLOADS:





PAPERBACKS:



















GIFTS:

A big thank you to Velvet over at http://vvb32reads.blogspot.co.uk/ for these awesome Game of Thrones goodies! The first is a pillowcase with the Dany and Drogo love declarations on it, the second is a Dany and dragons scroll! Awesome!



Chuckles Blogging World:
 
Everything went quite smoothly on the blogging front this week and I was able to get all the comments answered in good time plus some blog visits. Pretty happy with that. I started a new post called Chuckles Tunes where I look at favourite songs from my mp3 player or what cds I'm listening to. Not sure if it'll be a permanent feature yet. Click on the link provided to go to each item if you missed it during the week and feel free to leave a comment!
 
Book Reviews: 
 
I completed my reviews of the Arisen series this week, which I read in February and have started series reviews for David Nelson's Blaine Family Chronicles which I read in January. My Mini Reviews Catch Up features books I read in February, and my Retro Reviews continued with fantasy, urban fantasy and Tudor selections. I'd like to fit in more reviews each week as I need to get caught up on the reviews of books I read earlier in the year!
 
Michael Stephen Fuchs-Nemesis (Arisen #8.5)
 
Michael Stephen Fuchs-Cataclysm (Arisen #9)
 
Michael Stephen Fuchs-The Flood (Arisen #10)
 
Michael Stephen Fuchs-Deathmatch (Arisen #11)
 
David Nelson-The Journey (Blaine Family Chronicles #1)  

David Nelson-Coming Together (Blaine Family Chronicles #2)

Jennifer Estep-Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin #1)

Philippa Gregory-The Other Boleyn Girl

Dave Ferraro-Dark Genesis

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up

Regular Features:
 
 Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Unlikely Heroes/Heroines

Chuckles Cover Love-Jason Kristopher
 
Chuckles Tunes

Discussion Posts:
 
Chuckles Chat-Audio Books 

Game of Thrones Gossip-The Night's Watch part 1

Book Challenge Updates:
 
 I've enjoyed the start of my Morganville Vampires series catch up, having read five books and a lot of short stories. I might just plough into this for the month and try to get as much of it read as I can. It does mean maybe sacrificing my other planned reads which I'm not sure I want to do. Decisions! Maybe I'll just stick with the plan as there are some exciting books on my list for April...

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 94/250 which is good but I didn't really make inroads this week the way I wanted to.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 810.Not doing much to help myself get below 800. Stop downloading ebooks!!!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

24 comments:

  1. Glad blogging's been good this week! And kudos to you for restraining yourself when it comes to buying books - that's impressive! Though I'm sorry about the Amazon issues - bad service is ANNOYING. Grrr...

    Have a lovely week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bad service has been becoming more of an issue recently which is frustrating as it is the only place I can get the books I want!

      Delete
  2. Sorry Amazon has been yanking your chain, Chuckles! That really sucks! I have an order (but one that I really, really need!!) that still hasn't been dispatched form the UK store, and that I ordered a month ago. I need it for my teaching though, and really hope it'll arrive this week.
    I love the Morganville Vampires! I still haven't read the very last book, though, I refuse to accept that it's over :D
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting a month for dispatch is really bad Lexxie! I often can't bring myself to read a last book in a series for exactly that reason. You just don't want it to be over! I'm halfway through book six of Morganville and very much enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I need to get round to reading Certain Dark Things -- it's been on my list a while! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while before I get to it I think-too many other things on the reading list!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your Amazon problems. I always laugh at them trying to force Prime on me because it never takes more than 2-3 days for my books to ship, and I always order enough to get free shipping. Why the heck would I want to pay to shave a day off that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree on principle to pay more for better service and the free trial of Amazon Prime didn't impress me much. I get annoyed as I'm a frequent customer and getting poor service drives me mad! I shall not pay extra!!!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't resist, I just went and grabbed Last Another Day. Sure hope you like Certain Dark Things. Sorry about you Amazon issues. I do have a Prime membership but only because we get a student discount since Mr. Barb is in college. I'm sure you'll reading will kick in soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight I want to finish the two books I'm on and get them out of my way then maybe read a Jack Kilborn book next. I also want to get a few films watched and rewatch GoT...not all going to happen is it...

      Delete
  6. Hard to believe it's the weekend already (not that I'm complaining)! Love that scroll. :)

    Certain Dark Things, Calamity Rising and Last Alive all look good to me. And the Andersen books- love those covers.

    Good luck with your team!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scroll is up on the wall in my room as we speak! I enjoyed both Andersen books-they were fun reads and gave me a bit of a laugh for a change. My team drew a difficult game so we're still in with a chance...

      Delete
  7. I'm torn about Amazon because I've had great service from them in some ways but terrible in others, and I do get frustrated when it seems like they're always just trying to force into spending more money.

    If you're enjoying your shows more than reading, I say go for it! Reading isn't an obligation, it's for fun, so you're allowed to skip it :-P

    I don't watch GoT, but your goodies look awesome! Enjoy all your new books too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I can't afford to skip the reading at the moment! My bookshelves are stuffed full literally(piles turned sideways on each shelf to stuff more in!) and I have no more space for new ones so I need to get them read and out the house! I think next month's theme needs to be 'books I will read once then give away' ie the biographies and nf. I need to reclaim space to get back on track...

      Delete
  8. I once read the first few books in the Morganville vampires series I think I did enjoy them. I hope you'll keep enjoying the series. Those Sarah Anderson books sound fun! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get through as many as I can this month. I was worried it might be too YA for me but I'm happy with the way they are written so far. I love Myrnin!

      Delete
  9. Every time I come to your blog, I want to re-watch GoT. I don’t have time for that! Sorry about your Amazon problems. The only problem I’ve had with them is my shipments being delayed . . . and delayed . . . and delayed. I bought my dad’s Christmas present off Amazon in early December, and it didn’t get here until January.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to rewatch it too! I was so focused on keeping track of the main characters in the early seasons that I know I missed a lot of the other things going on. I need to look at it again to remind myself of everything for doing these GoT posts! Amazon can be frustrating when you get hit with delays like that. I try not to order after mid November to avoid postal issues!

      Delete
  10. I love that scroll! And I need to start reading the Arisen series. There's plenty of them to keep me in the series before more comes out. I've never had any problems with Amazon. Sorry they are dropping the ball. I don't have Prime. Already have too many yearly subscriptions and would like to cut back on some of those.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cute dragons on the scroll! I really hope you'll enjoy the Arisen series. I've got book 12 to read but want to save it to blitz read 12 and 13 when the last one comes out!

      Delete
  11. Too bad that your Amazon order hasn't shipped. I wonder what the heck is going on with that. You received some really nice gifts this week! I need to start watching Game of Thrones. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very slow! It has finally arrived but no email to say why it took so long. I find that so rude! I'm nagging my dad about getting on with Game of Thrones. He's watched season one but spends so much time watching football that he is getting nowhere with the rest of it!

      Delete
  12. Oops, not sure if my previous comment posted - Blogger directed me to some authentication page and what I wrote might have been eaten. In case it didn't go through, just wanted to say glad you had such a productive week! I was out of town and missed everything that happened which is why I love these weekend roundup posts for catching me up. I hope you enjoy Certain Dark Things, I really liked that one! Fun vampire book :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger does weird crap like that sometimes doesn't it! It was a decent week overall on the blog...letting it slide a bit at the moment as I'm trying to get stuff done around the house. I'm glad that you're finding the roundup post useful...I hoped it would be. I don't know when I'll get to Certain Dark Things but quite a few people are raving about it so I hope I like it!

      Delete