Monday, 17 April 2017

Book Review: Magic Born by Caethes Faron (Elustria Chronicles #1)


After the death of her parents, Kat Thomas retreated from college life into an online fantasy game. But what if the game she plays is closer to reality?

When a panther shifter named Alex knocks on her door one night, he delivers a message and a package. Kat's birth mother was a powerful mage who has just been murdered...and now the killer is after Kat. The package contains her mother's talisman: an amber necklace that latches onto Kat's neck and attacks anyone who tries to remove it. Before she knows it, ice is shooting from her hands and she's on the run from an assassin.

Kat must navigate a world of magic and intrigue, fight the forces who want her dead, and protect her friends from becoming collateral damage--all while coming to terms with her new identity. She's heir to a powerful legacy, but only if she lives long enough to claim it.


My Review: 
When Kat takes delivery of a magical necklace that belongs to her dead mother, her life of gaming and moping is about to be turned upside down. After surviving an attack by an assassin Kat realises that she needs to find out about the necklace and the powers it seems to give her. With help from a panther shifter she sets out to get some answers from Casper, the creator of her favourite online game who claims to also know her mother. He is leader of a mage rebellion and Kat and her necklace are the key to victory.

I was actually quite surprised to like this book. When I started reading it I didn't like Kat and there is not a lot of action overall in the plot. I usually prefer all action urban fantasy rather than a slower burning book that gradually works up to a fight scene near the end. But I liked Alex and I did find the mage rebellion idea interesting and as the book progressed I no longer felt like DNFing it and wanted to see what happens. It is very much character based in the beginning, focusing on Kat and Alex becoming friends on their road trip and Alex being protective of her when they meet Casper and his people. Kat starts to rely on him as the story develops.

We then follow Kat as she struggles to work with Casper to remove the necklace which does not want to come off, and Casper gets more and more frustrated with her. This part of the book does get a little repetitive. Casper has an idea for how to remove the necklace, he tries, it fails, he blames Kat for not trying. This happens quite a few times and I can imagine readers getting a little frustrated with it, as I did. However I did like the latter part of the book when Kat starts finding out the truth about her situation.

I admit that my first impression of Kat is that she is a rude and obnoxious creature. She mistakes Alex for a delivery driver, refuses to open the door, then opens it and grabs the package, slamming the door in his face without a single thank you. When he tries to explain why he is there she ignores him but when the necklace does funny things, she calls him demanding answers and calls him a stalker. Charming girl. I did come close to DNF but Kat does change her attitude and I ended up liking her as the book progressed. Alex is a good solid character who I liked from the start and I enjoyed him being a panther shifter. He was the best character in the book.

It's not the greatest urban fantasy that I've ever read but I found it to be a decent enough first read in a series. It is slow and a little repetitive but it had an interesting plot that has potential and I did want to find out what happened. The characters also evolved and got better as the book went on. So that can't really be bad. I'm not sure yet if I will continue with the series-maybe I will if I see book two at a decent price.  

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

6 comments:

  1. This does sound like a good read and I love some not-so-usual shifters at times. That panther on the cover is really cool. Glad you found this one to be worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books where the author is easing into the plot and characters and it will probably get moving in the next book. Certainly a decent read.

      Delete
  2. She does sound unlikeable in the beginning, but I can be ok with that as long as the character does grow and get more likeable eventually. I kinda got tired of this kind of urban fantasy after reading too much of it I guess and have mostly been uninterested in it for a while, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat certainly does change as the book progresses which kind of made me glad I did stick with it. My recent UF reads haven't been as good as the ones I read a few years back.

      Delete
  3. I'm also a "throw me in the action already!" kinda of urban fantasy reader. But I love also when a book surprising with a slower burning plot that keeps me interested. :) too bad it got repetitive, That I do't like so this will have probably be a DNF for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the middle is a bit repetitive. I admit I came close to DNF at one point but the book was short enough that I pushed on with it. Decent read but not the best UF I've read.

      Delete