Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week TTT is doing Top Ten Fandoms we're a part of, which doesn't interest me at all. I like stuff, I don't like stuff but I'm not into this idea of fandoms. Again I'm coming up with my own topic which took some time.

Ten TV Drama Series I am/was addicted to.

1) Game of Thrones
I started watching it for the first time in October last year (late to the party) and it didn't take long to totally love it. The casting is great, I love the range of complex characters, the battles, the betrayals, the jaw dropping moments, the gut wrenching make you cry moments...I love it! I haven't read the books yet but I'm looking forward to it. Fave character? Tyrion! Also love Dany, Jon, Varys and Jaime.

2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
I loved watching this so much when it aired on TV until the BBC started messing it around and I bought the box sets instead. I was always a big vampire fan so it's no surprise that this is a favourite. What's not to love about vampires and demons in a town being hunted by a group of misfit nerds? I loved the action and the humour and the characters. My favourites were Giles, Xander and Spike though I did like Xander and Cordelia as a couple! 

3) The West Wing
As my grampa was American I've always been interested in US history and politics. When I saw the first episode of The West Wing I was so hooked. One minute it would make you laugh and the next it was making you cry. The dynamic between the main cast was brilliant and the stories were excellent. I particularly enjoyed the election night episodes. Favourite characters were CJ and Leo but I loved them all really!

4) Blake's Seven
Yes the special effects were as dodgy as the 70's hairstyles but I totally loved this as a kid. I was about 6 or 7 I think and madly in love with Avon! I loved the early seasons best when Travis was hunting our heroes down, and although I liked the new characters in the later seasons, I felt that some of the episodes slid a little bit. I still have my dvd box sets though. Favourite characters were Travis, Avon and Jenna. 

5) Miami Vice 
I was never away from the TV when this was on as a kid! I loved the 80's music soundtrack to the series, the characters, the stories, the humour...and my favourite character dies. I had such a crush on John Diehl who played Zito and I shared the actor's frustration about his character always looking like an idiot. The two part episode where he dies shows how underused the actor was. Favourite characters were Zito and Tubbs.

6) Dallas
Yes I admit it, I loved this show and watched it every week. Who remembers the Who Shot JR cliffhanger that summer which had everyone hooked?! I loved the drama, the characters, the glitz, the backstabbing, and the Ewing BBQ where someone usually ended up in the pool! I don't think I saw the last couple of seasons but hope to rectify that. I even liked the season with the dream, sad as I am! Favourite characters were Jenna, Clayton, Afton and Bobby. 

7) Prisoner Cell Block H
Another cult classic from Australia! I actually started watching it a few seasons in but soon became addicted to it. I lost track of the last few seasons when TV started messing about with it and putting it on at stupid hours like 3am. I do have all the box sets! I loved the prison riots and the murders and all that stuff. Remember Jock Stuart the mad scottish prison guard? Loved him! Favourite characters were Joan, Bea, Judy, Wally and Fletch.

8) Stargate Atlantis 
I enjoyed the original Stargate SG1 until it hot season 9 anyway, but this spin-off I loved. It was a lot more in your face action with a new race against the clock crisis every week to keep you interested. I liked the main cast, the faster paced stories and the team dynamic was fun. It was my favourite of the stargate series. Favourite characters were Rodney and Carson.

9) The Tudors
Yes I know it wasn't historically accurate but I loved watching this. The casting was excellent and it really showed that the life of Henry was like a mad soap opera! JRM was excellent at capturing the mood swings of Henry and it made me want to read every Tudor book I could get my hands on, starting a whole new obsession. I'd have loved to see a series about his children as each took the throne.

10) V 
I loved the original series-didn't like the bland remake personally but this series was TV gold at the time. Psycho aliens pretend to be coming to help you but instead are here to destroy you! I loved it especially as one of my favourite actors Michael Ironside was in it. It was cheesy but it was entertaining! Favourite characters were Diana, Willie, Ham and Martin.

20 comments:

  1. I loved the original V as well and used to watch it all the time with my Dad. I was also addicted to Miami Vice back in the day. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a time where I can just rewatch all of these things without worrying about getting behind on my reading!

      Delete
  2. I don’t consider myself part of any fandoms, but I love Game of Thrones. I’m so excited for the new season!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it too but it'll be agony having only one episode a week! I binge watched all the other box sets to get caught up! I'll have to make do with my GoT gossip posts in between episodes!!

      Delete
  3. Buffy and the original V. We are on the same wavelength, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh hell yes to GoT! I have never adore a TV series so much in my life!!! completely addicted to it! yes too the so real characters, so layered and flawed and yes to the raw reality, the cunning the betrayals, this is just a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with everything you said there. It is a classic and I became addicted to it so quickly! Now I just need to read the books...

      Delete
  5. Yes to Game of Thrones! Jon and Arya might be mt favorites, although Varys is awesome. Miami Vice is awesome- great music!- and I've heard the Stargate were pretty good but I've never seen em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I liked about SG1 and Atlantis was the great characters who worked well together as a team. Nothing worse than if you get characters you don't like or you hate the team dynamic! And a big yes to GoT of course!

      Delete
  6. Yes! How I loved V when it was on TV. One of my all time favorites. I also really liked The Tudors but still need to finish the series. I can't remember what season I left off on and can't remember why I didn't pick it back up. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed by the V remake. I only watched a few episodes and switched it off. The original was a classic for me. The Tudors is a bit of an obsession...it got me reading a lot of great books so I'm happy with that!

      Delete
  7. I don't really *understand* the concept of fandoms. Like, what qualifies one as part of a fandom? Simply liking something? Obsessing over something and constantly looking at fan art or reading fanfic or whatever? Does it only count if there's already an established fandom and tons of other people talking about it? I mean, I like lots of things, but I really don't know how determine whether I'm in any fandoms or not lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you nailed it there-I don't really 'get' fandoms. I read a few articles about fandoms and it was alien to me! ie tweeting birthday wishes to every show member, making fan videos, reading fanfiction and studying fan art, arguing with other fans...all that stuff passes me by to be honest! I like GoT, I bought mugs, Tshirts, bags etc...but it doesn't dictate every minute of my life! I'll give fandoms a miss if THAT is all expected!

      Delete
  8. Dallas would be my favorite on your list. There are some I have never seen...or read...but are on my check it out list. :-)

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of obsessed with this as a kid. Ah those were the days without satellite or cable TV when everyone had to watch the same channels! The standard of ordinary TV was better then. Sorry I still can't get to leave a message on your page. They want me to put in a password to sign in. I'm not on Wordpress so I have no clue what they want!

      Delete
  9. Sheesh, looks like I've missed out on some good tv. The only ones I've seen are Buffy and GofT and the original V when I was a kid but I can't remember much of it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might revisit this topic for other TTT posts as there are lots more TV things to share!

      Delete
  10. You know, I've never watched Buffy. It's one of those things I've always intended to watch, but never got round to. Too busy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Buffy so much. I'd like to find the time to sit and rewatch series like this but that looks a long way off with all these books!

      Delete