Saturday, 22 April 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
I'm a bit annoyed with myself this week. I had big plans to get lots of stuff read but it just didn't seem to happen. During the day I was preparing bags to go to charity shops from a clearout of my room and getting general housework done in amongst the blogging so at night I just flopped in front of the tv with Masterchef and a few other things like Missing in Alaska and Alaska River Run. I've been watching the news a lot with the General Election being called by our PM which was a massive surprise, and of course coverage of another terrorist attack in Paris. I struggled for days to start getting through the non fiction books that I need to start dealing with. I do have two finished so I guess that's something! Blogging went better but I really need to get more disciplined with the reading!
 
On the book buying side of things, I decided to buy a whole zombie series without trying the first one. That was REAL restraint, not! I'm only showing the first book as I'll be showing off the whole set in my next Cover Love post! I have pre-ordered a Tudor colouring book which is pretty exciting and a few more non fiction disaster books just to cheer myself up. War with North Korea is looking like a worrying possibility so it set my panic radar sky high and off I went to buy more scary books about nuclear war! *shakes head* I know, I'm a worrier but I've read so many apocalypse books that I just act compulsively sometimes! It doesn't help with these supposed psychics predicting WWIII this year! Erk! I think my dad wonders about my sanity but just lets me get on with it!
 
DOWNLOADS:
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 
GIFTS!
 
My dad bought be a Game of Thrones charm bracelet for a surprise gift which I LOVE and I treated myself to the carved wooden Night's Watch oath to attach to my bedroom door! After such excitement there is only one thing to say...HODOR! 
 

 

Chuckles Blogging World: 

It was another good blogging week. I managed to answer all comments posted on my blog within two days I think except those left on posts over a week old. It can take me longer to find out about them but I get there eventually! I was able to do some decent blog visiting too. I'm looking at finally getting started on the mythology posts I planned in January and I haven't decided yet whether to continue with the music post I did for the first time last week. Click on the link provided to go to each item if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!
 
Book Reviews: 

My book reviews this week were a mixture of urban fantasy, apocalypse and zombies (cue Julie Andrews singing 'these are a few of my favourite things...'...!) I hope that adds a few new books to your expanding tbrs! If I'm going down, I'm taking you lot with me!
 
David Nelson-A Long Road Ahead (Blaine Family Chronicles #3)
 
Ben Reeder-Zompoc Survivor: Exodus (Zompoc Survivor #1)
 
Caethes Faron-Magic Born (Elustria Chronicles #1)
 
Judith Post-Wolf's Bane
 
AZ Green-Beasthood
 
Eric Methven-EMP: No Finger on the Pulse
 
VM Zito-The Return Man
 
Kenneth Cary-Curtain Fall (The Gatekeeper #1)
 
Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up
 
Regular Features: 

Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Things that make me want to read a book
 
Chuckles Cover Love-JA Cipriano
 
Discussion Posts:
 
Chuckles Chat-Diversity 
 
Game of Thrones Gossip-The Night's Watch part 2
 
Game of Thrones Gossip-The Night's Watch part 3
 
Book Tags:
 
Rest in Purple-Prince Book Tag 
 
Book Challenge Updates:
 
 I've enjoyed the start of my Morganville Vampires series catch up, having read six books and a lot of short stories.I've also started trying to read more non fiction to get the sods off my shelves and give me some space back!

The Great Chuckles Spring Clearout

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 98/250 which is good but I didn't really make inroads this week the way I wanted to.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 809.Not doing much to help myself get below 800. Stop buying books!!!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 
 

26 comments:

  1. I have big plans to get some spring cleaning done, so I hope I can stay motivated. But with me being behind on reading and I still have to watch The Blacklist 2 hour special. lol! I doubt I will be able to do the projects I wanted to get done outside because it looks like it may rain all weekend.

    Happy reading, and I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't plan ahead with much as you never know what the weather is going to do from day to day! I've got a lot to do but getting time and motivation at the same time is a problem!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the clear out and getting through the nonfiction books. I hope WWIII doesn’t start anytime soon. My country’s leaders are too stupid to deal with that kind of thing. Enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the non fiction is that it takes longer to read each one than a good fiction book. It takes me 3-4 days to plough through a NF book!

      If WWIII starts I'm confident in our PM and government. Not so confident about chances of survival though!

      Delete
  3. What a nice surprise from your dad and what an awesome bracelet. I am worried about all the North Korea stuff as well. Plus it doesn't help that I have little confidence in the government right now. Seems like at least weekly, if not more often, there is some terrorist attack on the news. I feel so badly for the victims and their families. At least you got some good TV watching done and books are always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to do nothing but worry these days! It's probably because of the type of books I read...it would give anyone nightmares. Maybe I should do prepping posts based on what I've read! Sadly on the terrorist front I think the worst is yet to come.

      I really like the bracelet but I wouldn't waer it in the zombie apocalypse. It'd be like ringing the dinner bell!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that's a sweet gift from your dad! And yay, new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty pleased with everything that arrived this week!

      Delete
  5. When you get in the mode to give things away it can be hard to stop. At least for me. What a nice gift from your father! I am sorry to hear that your reading has slowed down but I am sure it will get back to normal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a hoarder but I do have too much stuff and need to get that cleared this year. Next week we're focusing on the garden if the weather is ok so that should be back breaking! I hope I can pick up the pace with the reading over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  6. That's a cool bracelet - I have a sword necklace my wife bought me ages ago that I still wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked charm bracelets so the GoT one was perfect. It has a cute little hand of the king charm and of course I love the dire wolf! My dad wears a dragon necklace which he loves, so I think he must be Targaryen! I'm definitely a Stark!

      Delete
  7. I was surprised to see an election called over there too (I guess everyone was). And I spent some time educating myself on the French politicians since I know that election is happening and I was not very informed.

    Infected looks cool and love the GoT charm bracelet. I think that's awesome you have the NW oath! And Hodor... lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be watching the first round of voting in France today with interest as it is important for Britain. I don't support racism of any kind but I admit that the NF would be the strongest on border controls with Britain. As for Corbyn the Labour leader, he doesn't want us to have any nuclear weapons to defend ourselves and to stop job losses by ditching Trident, the submarines can be manned but weaponless. What use is THAT??? He also wants to negotiate with IS instead of bombing them in Syria and Iraq. He once described Hamas and Hezbollah as friends which he now 'regrets' I've voted Labour my whole life but this guy is an idiot.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely charm bracelet! I like that it features some of the best sigils and sayings :)

    And my own TBR of books I own but haven't read stands at about 780 - so you and I are in very much the same boat :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some good stuff on the bracelet! I love the dire wolf and hand of the king badge! It's nice to see that there are other people with my lack of restraint in book buying...I'm in good company!

      Delete
  9. I had a 3 day weekend and did nothing but read and loll about. I needed after the first four days of work. They wore me out. Looks like quite the week. I think I managed to visit almost all of your posts. I planned on a day in the pool tomorrow but I hear thunder outside right now. Guess I'll probably end up doing something useful. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always very happy to see you on my posts Laura! It's good that you had a few days to relax after a tough few days at work. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you!

      Delete
  10. That bracelet is so pretty, and it's such a nice surprise from your dad!
    Glad you had a good blogging week. Hope you enjoy your books!

    Have a lovely week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with it is the difficulty getting it on and off!

      Delete
  11. You read and blog a LOT [which I love] so I bet that was your subconscious telling you you needed a "flopping in front of the tv" reward! :)
    I usually avoid the news because the terrorist attacks, North Korea etc send my anxiety levels off the charts too. I get second hand summaries from my husband and I still go into prepping frenzy mode counting the cans of food I have stocked up and I guess I have also read enough apocalyptic books to be sane anymore. :) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I plan to flop and watch Steve Austin's Broken Skull Challenge! I've become addicted to it! I'm a bit of a political animal so I can't seem to stay away from the news especially with French and UK elections all happening. I went into 'buy the Mountain House food tins' mode this week during one of my panic spells, along with potassium iodide and a book on surviving nuclear war! Honestly, I'm a bit of a panic merchant at the moment!

      Delete
  12. Cute bracelet! Deathday looks interesting. Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to clear out my closet a bit, too. But I'm resisting. I put on quite a bit of weight in the past year after I quit smoking.. but I really want to get back into shape and fit into those close again *sighs*
    Your bracelet is so cute! How nice of your dad to get a surprise gift for you :)
    I hope you're having a wonderful week :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be doing something about my weight...I just hate exercise when I could be reading instead! Have a great week!

      Delete