Thursday, 27 April 2017

Book Review: Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace (Sin du Jour #1)


In New York, eating out can be hell.

Everyone loves a well-catered event, and the supernatural community is no different, but where do demons go to satisfy their culinary cravings? Welcome to Sin du Jour - where devils on horseback are the clients, not the dish.


My Review: 
Darren and Lena share an apartment and have both been blackballed from working in any New York eating establishment which is a problem when you have bills to pay. It is a relief to get a call from Byron Luck, owner of the shortstaffed Sin De Jour...until they discover that the clients of SDJ are actually demons, the food ingrediants have their own dangers and you really don't want to go into the pantry...

Byron has solved his temporary staffing issue but he has an important event to cater when rival groups of demons are coming together for a summit. The problem is that they have provided something for the menu-a live Angel to be sacrificed and eaten by the guests. Some of the staff have issues with the prospect of doing this and want to provide something else that tastes like Angel instead but if the demons find out they've been duped, the event will turn into a bloodbath. Now his best team are being dispatched to steal a recipe that might allow them to get away with the deception.

This is a funny book with a few good sniggers along the way. I was particularly amused by the team doing the guided tour of the Henley's factory as they plan their theft of the chicken nuggies recipe, to be confronted by a photo on the wall of company mascots Postman Potatohead and Monsieur Udders, the beret wearing cow! For some reason the name Monsieur Udders just cracked me up and I kept getting the giggles! This whole part of the story kept me entertained.

I was amused by what happens to Moon in the opening sequence and his tendency to die several times in one day because of it. In fact the opening scene was pure slapstick as they try to resusitate him and fight a praying mantis at the same time. It was smart of the author to start with something fun like that to give the book a good start, and it lets the reader know that the content is not to be taken seriously. The dumb behaviour of some of the characters had me thinking that this book is like Hell's Kitchen meets an adult version of The Goonies!

I also liked the wide range of characters in the kitchen...one minute they are fighting with each other and the next they are working together to make the demon dinner a success. I very much look forward to what these characters are going to get up to. I very much liked Byron who is a very harrassed man at the start of the story and I liked him from the start. I loved the team he sends out to solve his problems...Ritter and Cindy are competant but Moon is totally crazy and a dumbass so I look forward to seeing a lot more of them. I didn't really form an opinion of Darren and Lena in the beginning but I think my thoughts will develop as the series continues.

Overall I thought this was a fun read and an entertaining start to the season. The book really hits its stride in the second half with a mixture of the heist story and the frantic preperation for the demon event working well together. It was different from my usual reads and I liked the chance of genre. I will certainly be reading on to see what happens in the next book.  

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one. The one I just read (#5) which I'm not sure if it's released yet, takes a spin on US elections (and a few jabs as well). I don't know if everyone will appreciate it but I did. What until you meet Killer Santa and the Giant Easter Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to get moving on this series! Yes to Killer Santas and Easter Bunnies and I do like US politics so that sounds good to me.

      Delete
  2. I have seen a few reviews for various books in this series and I am starting to find myself interested. It sounds something like a Tom Holt book, but with better reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Tom Holt so I can't really comment on any similarity but I did find it amusing and entertaining. It's not my usual kind of read so I was happy to like it.

      Delete
  3. Huh. Interesting cover. Could be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good start to a series and it sounds like it gets more interesting as it progresses.

      Delete
  4. This is a fun series, I love the mix of urban fantasy and the chef/catering life. And the books are the perfect length to sneak into a couple hours break too! Hope you enjoy the next installment :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

      Delete
  5. hummm I don't know. I like angles and demons and I lke food.. but together? not sure. I like my angles and demons book to be totally dark. Mayhem. Destruction :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Angel only appears in a couple of scenes and the demons only really come in at the end. The main focus is on the people in the catering company trying to get the menu ready and find a way to save the Angel.

      I do like some mayhem and destruction too!

      Delete