Saturday, 1 April 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Well it has been one of those weeks where I've been tired and grumpy with lots of housework to do, and resorting to lounging in front of the TV and buying books for retail therapy. I'm awaiting a package as we speak! I haven't really got any reading done this week, spending time catching up with my Gold Rush dvds instead and chomping at the bit to get started on my Horror Month reads for April! Glad it is finally April so I can get on with those bad boys! I'm excited by what is coming this month! I'll be making a start to my Morganville Vampires series read, plus some horror, Bigfoots, ghosts, zombies just for some added fun...

On the book buying side of things I managed to get a copy of the first repo man book. Not my usual type of read but Barb raves about the series and it does have a cute dog! Also picked up a few new additions to series I'm following-Z Children, The Survivalist and Ranger, which is quite exciting! Also a couple of urban fantasy books and a couple of short zombie stories which I hope to fit in this month in Horror Week!

DOWNLOADS: 



PAPERBACKS: 





Chuckles Blogging World: 

It was another productive blogging week at The Book Cave. I managed to fit in everything I wanted to do and got a few bonus posts done so I'm happy. I did get all the comments left on the blog answered and had enough time to do some visiting too. Can't ask for much more than that. I had been going to do a post the day Brexit was announced as it is a historical moment but I couldn't find an interesting post to do off the top of my head. Maybe I'll save it for Brexit itself in two years time! Links as always to take you direct to any posts you missed this week. 

Book Reviews: 

This week I featured a few retro reads and current reviews so you can swamp your tbrs including zombies, mutant monsters, apocalypses, dinosaurs and some Tudor scandal. A nice mixture this week I think. 

Eli Constant-Dead Trees

Bobby Adair-Slow Burn Zero Day

Kendra C Highley-Matt Archer Monster Hunter

Ella March Chase-Three Maids for a Crown

Hugo Navikov-Spinosaurus

Chuckles Mini Reviews Round Up:

Regular Features:

Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Short Stories & Novellas to try!

Chuckles Cover Love-Lucy A Snyder

Discussion Posts:

 Chuckles Chat-The Library. What is the service like?

Game of Thrones Gossip #8-Tyrion Lannister

Authors Behaving Badly-An example of how NOT to speak to reviewers!

Special Features:

Guest Post-Booker T from http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.co.uk/ discusses why dogs are better than cats in real life and fiction!

Book Challenge Updates: 

It was a pretty good month for my challenges. My Monster Month of March was a success with 26 books out of 31 completed and that was with a few days off from reading as the month ended. I'm happy with that. On the series catch up, I completed all but two series. Each of them has one book left to get me up to date so I can maybe them them on to this month without any problem. Overall, a good month for these two challenges.

Monster Month of March Review

Chuckles 2017 Series Read Challenge Review

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 78/250 so I need to push on this week and get a pile of things read.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 818. I've been buying too many books this month but I plan to reduce that total to under 800 by my next post. I'm confident I can do it if I don't buy anything this week. (HAR!)

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

24 comments:

  1. Glad you had a productive blogging week! Sorry about the housework though, that sucks :(
    Happy reading for the week ahead!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a necessary evil I guess! I'm hoping for good reading this week.

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy Repo Man and thanks again for having Booker T. Book buying is always a good thing and I can't wait for some horror reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reviews for this month's books might take a while as I'm still posting reviews of books I read in January. It was lovely to have Booker T and the post was certainly popular!

      Delete
  3. Housework sucks. My bedroom and office badly need vacuuming, but that’s not going to happen today. I have more important things to do. Like reading. Enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could magic everything out of my house to get everything cleaned easier and then magic the things back in. So much easier than having to move things to get the hoover going! I do plan some nice reading today...vampires!

      Delete
  4. *ugh* housework :( Never fun, but still so necessary.
    I hope you'll enjoy your new books, and that April will be filled with good horror stories in your novels :)
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad would be happy to live in a rubbish dump but it drives me mad when he finishes his crisps and drops the packet at his feet! It is so lazy! I feel more like his mother picking up after him! I bet Freddy is tidier!

      Delete
  5. Ooh those look good, Stasis has a neat cover and Repo Man- that's new to me but maybe worth checking out. That first Survivalist has me curious too.

    I enjoyed Monster Month, looking forward now to Horroe Month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb has been promoting Repo man for ages and I was curious enough to give it a try...I do like bassett hounds! The Survivalist books are books 8 and 9 in the continuing series. Horror Month is going to be similar types of reads but a lot more packed in to reduce the tbr and boost my books read total!

      Delete
  6. Mmm, retail therapy. Always so tempting... enjoy the fruits of your spree, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be enjoying the fruits of this spree well into next week too! I'm still awaiting a couple of packages...

      Delete
  7. Ugghh I have been trying to catch up on all my housework too. I got so behind while my little one was sick, and with my migraines driving me crazy. I feel like I need to play catch up all around. I was barely around, blogwise, this week so I have A LOT of catching up to do there too. Book retail therapy is a great way to cure a grumpy feeling. I picked up a couple books at the thrift shop this weekend too. lol! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing quite like book retail therapy! The buzz of opening that package and sniffing that new paperback! The rustle of the pages and the joy of a new book to stuff on the bookshelves! I hope this week is better for you Julie and you can be headache free.

      Delete
  8. 26 books is amazing! We spent some time working around the house and it is a lot of work. Nice when it is done but no fun actually doing it. I hope to get to Repo Man at some point. Enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with last month but I did have a mini slump right at the end where I didn't read anything for five days. I really need to avoid patches like that through the year!

      Delete
  9. I saw your horror month post - how exciting! Looks like you had a great month of blogging too, despite all the other things on your plate. I hope April will be awesome for you too, happy reading!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping April will be a good reading month. I do feel a bit more excited for my reading than I was last week. Happy reading to you too!

      Delete
  10. Zombies, vampires, ghosts, sounds like a fun time! I have that Stone and a Hard Place book and want to read it but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've also been considering reading the N.P. Martin book since I enjoyed the first book in his other series about angels/demons, but idk. I really like the cover though. I also like the hot guy on the cover lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many waiting to be read that unless I'm browsing through my Goodreads pages, I forget about half of them! I actually got Stone about four months ago but had forgot to even add it to Goodreads! Hopeless Chuckles!

      Delete
  11. I know you said you didn't get a lot of reading in, but you are rocking the scene with all sorts of things. :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogging side has been going well! This month's reads are off to a good start which I'm happy about.

      Delete
  12. I'm going to have to check out Repo Man, for sure. You are one busy blogger! I'm tired just thinking about all of the things you managed to get done in a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many reviews and regular posts that I'm having to do three a day just to keep on top of things! Once I catch up on the reviews it should calm down a bit. I am lucky that I can blog during the day and not have to fit it around work and family!

      Delete