Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 
   
This week we are to look at books from our childhood that we want to revisit. This led me to a problem as I came up with three that I have recently grabbed to read again, three that are rereading favourites and four blank spaces-so I've filled the spaces with childhood favourites that I probably won't be reading again but love remembering. I do plan to add all my childhood books on to Goodreads when I get time!

1) Queen Rider by Alan Davidson
I loved horses and horse books as a kid and this was one of the best. Spoiled brat Bonnie is determined to rule her latest school before getting expelled again-but comes into conflict with the riding instructor Ruth Caradon. A battle of wills begins. I recently got a copy of the book again so it will be interesting to see how I feel about it now! 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7137704-queen-rider

2) Bears in the Night by Stan Berenstain
This cartoon book after a group of brother bears sneaking out the house to investigate a spooky noise is a classic! The bears are so cute, the story is short and funny and I still have my original copy which I look at a few times every year. This is a book every child should have as a bedtime story and adults will find it fun to read to them. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/900067.Bears_in_the_Night  

3) The Race by Eunice Walkup
I read this at school when I was 15-I got it out the school library countless times! It is set against the backdrop of the Kentucky Derby with kidnapping and murder therough it. I haven't read it in 25 years and can't remember anything about it so when a friend sent it to me I was really happy and I look forward to reading it again! 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11901560-the-race 

4) Black Stallion by Walter Farley
I loved this series of books when I was younger and I have read them again a few times since then. I found the books that had the racing side of it more fun to read. I finally parted with the series a couple of years ago to free up some space but the series gave me many hours of reading fun over the years. 

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Walter+Farley 

5) IT by Stephen King
I read this when I was at school and fell in love with it-Pennywise the psycho shapeshifting clown is scary and I loved it! I liked the way the past and present run side by side, loved Henry Bowers, the werewolf house, the child murders, the different faces of the monster...it is just a classic horror and I've already owned five well read copies! 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/830502.It

6) Sweet Valley High by Kate William/Francine Pascal 
Almost every girl in my school was hooked on this series in the late 80's! Were you Team Jessica (like me) or Team Elizabeth? We used to talk about every book as it came out. I loved the crazy stories and romances which seems ironic when I hate romance novels now! I read some of the Sweet Valley University books but they were hard to get here and I stopped looking.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/529252.Double_Love 

7) Various Series by Enid Blyton 
I couldn't choose just one as this author WAS my childhood! Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Wishing Chair, Malory Towers, The Naughtiest Girl, St Clare's, Five Find-Outers...ah the memories! I miss Fatty! Too many great books and hours spent at the local library working my way through them! I'd love to read a few of them again. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/557230.The_Mystery_of_the_Burnt_Cottage 

8) The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
My dad used to read this to me when I was 7 or 8 as my bedtime stories! While others got fluffy duck stories, I got Orcs and magic rings! Loved it! My dad did all the voices for me and I have a map book that let me follow the journey as he read. I've got my own copies and go back to them sometimes. I watch the films a lot! 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1223937.The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring

9) Various by Judy Blume
Our school librarian banned the entire set of Judy Blume books and anyone who asked about them were 'deviants'!!! But everyone my age was reading them! I liked Are you there God it's me Margaret?, Blubber, Forever and Deenie. I think girls felt that the author understood their fears and anxieties about growing up-boys, periods, peer pressure, being different. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2605487-blubber 

10) Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl 
I loved Mr Fox when we got read this book at school. I always felt sorry for him, being picked on by those horrible farmers! I've loved foxes ever since and have had some great moments hand feeding the adults and being licked by cubs!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/608629.Fantastic_Mr_Fox 





16 comments:

  1. Black Stallion and a Stephen King novel made my list as well - except for me, it was The Shining. I forgot all about the Berenstain Bears. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great this week...I actually knew most of the books on everyone's lists!

      Delete
  2. The Five Find Outers made my list too, I'm so glad someone else remembers them! Great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Fatty...he was one of my childhood heroes as he was just so much smarter than everyone else! I loved their adventures...

      Delete
  3. Great list! I was torn between Fantastic Mr Fox and Matilda, went for Matilda in the end but should have put both! Likewise The Hobbit and LotR. And I forgot to add Enid Blyton, she was on my paper list but I forgot to add any books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to struggle to fill the list but now I'm thinking of other things that didn't make it to the final 10 like Silver Brumby, Sue Barton and a lot of horse related books!

      Delete
  4. I thought I wasn't going to recognise many of these from the start of the list, but we do have some overlap! I used to devour Enid Blyton's work -- it's amazing how delicious she made ginger beer and stuff sound...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her characters had a much more exciting summer than I ever did! I always identified with George...I was a complete tomboy who preferred climbing trees to playing with dolls!

      Delete
  5. I loved Fantastic Mr Fox, too! I read quite a few of his books, but that one I kept rereading all the time :D And Sweet Valley High! I read so many of those books when I was a kid! And Enid Blyton <3 I loved her books so much. Great list, Chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see the same books cropping up on a few lists...it brings back such cool memories!

      Delete
  6. Nice list of books for this week's TTT post. I haven't read any of the books on your list and look forward to reading a few of the titles.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this week's challenge...it was fun to think back to all the different series that I had fun with as a kid!

      Delete
  7. I didn't read much when I was a kid. But when I did read, it was the pick your own path kind of books. I always wanted to see if I could get to the end of the book... I never did! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had three of those books...they were fantasy ones with monsters to fight using rolls of the dice and I NEVER won!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I used to have one whole bookshelf for the series! I loved the cover art and the mad stories and Jessica's dating adventures! But they took up too much space and I had to let them go eventually!

      Delete