Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Book Review: Shaedes of Gray by Amanda Bonilla


"I'd learned the hard way that love is nothing more than the sharpest blade, and it can easily be turned against you. I refused to let anyone have that kind of power over me ever again."

Darian has lived alone for almost a century in the shadows of the night. Made and abandoned by her former love, Darian is the last of her kind—an immortal Shaede who can slip into darkness as easily as breathing. With no one else to rely on, she has taught herself how to survive, using her unique skills to become a deadly assassin.

Darian finds herself struggling to keep her employer, Tyler, at arm's length, especially since his seductive smile makes her want to break her rules about love. The work he offers is necessary to protect the innocent—and a welcome distraction. But when Darian's next mark turns out to be Xander Peck, King of the Shaede Nation, her whole worldview is thrown into question. Darian begins to wonder if she has taken on more than her conscience will allow, but a good assassin never leaves a job unfinished.


My Review:
I liked the look of the cover and the sound of the story which is why I bought this book but it felt like deja vu when I read it because it was just the same old story rolled out with different character names. There was nothing new or interesting.

Darian is a shaede and an assassin who does jobs for 'boss' Tyler. Tyler and Darian are hot for each other but she won't mix business and pleasure as much as she wants to, and thus keeps Tyler dangling like a lovesick puppy. He pouts, he complains, he begs and sometimes she gives him the idea that there can be something between them, then she pushes him away and he keeps crawling back. This makes him a bit pathetic and not to be taken seriously as a love interest or a strong male character. Darian is a manipulating bitch who plays with his emotions when it suits there then she pushes him away when she decides they shouldn't be doing anything. So we know we are going to get this running right through the book, which gets boring pretty fast.

Darian's latest target turns out to be Xander who is actually King Shaede and wants to hire her. He is of course gorgeous, smug and arrogant and orders her about, trying to force her to obey him. The usual King Asshat. And just being near him has an lust effect on her. Surprise. Never seen that in a book before. Xander's trusted female guard is of course a psycho jealous bitch who wants to kill Darian and has to be watched at all times. So she has to train for the KIng which leads to her getting beaten up every time by her trainer...yada yada yada.

I read 100 pages of this book and pretty much nothing happened. We don't find out what the job is that she is to do as she isn't ready yet, no answers to her questions, Tyler is literally pawing at her in a half assed seduction effort every two pages which makes me want to slap him, Darian's do I don't I sleep with Tyler, lust for King Asshat, fights with Anya...a gigantic YAWNfest.

I liked the idea of the assassin and the shaede angle was interesting but yet again the author puts aside the interesting plot to focus on the boring love life of the heroine and her love triangle brewing. This is old, boring and cliched and I'm getting sick of seeing it in almost every urban fantasy book I read these days. If I want love filled paranormal books I'll read paranormal romance but STOP spoiling urban fantasy for men and women who aren't interested in this.

star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I have this one waiting for me on the shelf too. lol. Well, that says that. I guess it'll wait for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry too much about my reviews...I have no patience with certain things that I find in my books! Don't let me put you off if you really want to read it.

      Delete