Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for Readers who love...Zombies!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

This week I'm showcasing the Top Ten Books for Readers who love Zombie books! Yes it's a bit of a zombiethon this week so sit back and enjoy my ten choices! I have a LOT of unread zombie books so expect another top ten zombies in the future!

1) Plague of the Dead by ZA Recht
This was one of the best zombie or horror books that I ever picked up. We are following a couple of groups of survivors right through the zombie apocalypse-people that you actually care about. The tension is high at all times, You never know what to expect as our people go from one crisis to another. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and I gave it 5 stars.


2) The Return Man by VM Zito 
Henry is one of the only people alive in the zombie wasteland, hired to find people and lay them to rest. Now the government are forcing him to look for a doctor in an overrun prison, a suicide mission. This had a ton of tension and zombie action and a human story of Henry looking to put his wife to rest if he finds her during the mission. Great read! 5 stars.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13038001-return-man

3) The Harvesting by Melanie Karsak
A zombie outbreak in her old hometown forces Layla to lead people into saving the town from the undead. Sound familiar? Oh but this book is totally different with a plot twist that will take the reader by surprise. We have the paranormal zombie element, a mystical spirit side story, Layla confronting her ex lover who broke her heart and a bone chilling surprise that I didn't expect. Really enjoyed this! 4 stars.

4) Day by Day Armageddon by JL Bourne
A military man goes AWOL with a neighbour to escape the zombies, picking up other survivors en route. This was written in diary form which I don't normally like but I enjoyed this. I liked the characters, it was fast paced and there were encounters with zombies and human psychos to enjoy! And there is a cute greyhound...What more can you ask for? This was another 5 star read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6667772-day-by-day-armageddon

5) The First Days by Rhiannon Frater
Two women are thrown together as the zombie outbreak begins and have to rely on each other to survive a scary roadtrip as they seek sanctuary. There are exciting zombie moments, well developed characters and we also explore how being in a small confined survivor community affects a range of different people. The book is well written and I liked it in spite of a whiny MC!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9648068-the-first-days  

6) Slow Burn by Bobby Adair 
What happens to you when you are infected by a zombie bite but haven't turned yet and don't know when or if you will? You are of less interest to the zombies which might improve your chances but the other survivors don't trust you and the government want to either kill you or use you for experiements...This was a great twist on the usual zombie apocalypse story and the anti-heroes are interesting characters. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18243819-slow-burn

7) Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux 
Allison and her friends are trapped at work when the outbreak begins and the only thing that keeps her sane is planning her escape and blogging her experience to other survivors online. I was surprised that I liked this one but there was action, zombies, great characters and a few different things like a women's religious cult that are just as dangerous as the zombies. I actually liked the blog entries which includes the comments from other survivors. It was well written and an enjoyable zombie romp!

8) Voyage of the Dead by David P Forsyth 
This was a bit more of a fun zombie romp. A lotto winner with a huge cruise ship full of food, weapons and fun toys like speedboats, becomes a haven for survivors as the zombies attack. Launching missions onshore to save friends and family are their priority which leads to some interesting zombie action. I found it to be a fun read if you put aside the convenience of Scott having every toy needed to do what he wants.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13450189-voyage-of-the-dead 

9) HIVE by Griffin Hayes
This is very much a Resident Evil type story. A group of mercenaries are sent into an underground city to locate a few missing people and find themselves in the zombie nightmare from hell. I loved the first Resident Evil film and this was similar in content so that kept me happy for a few hours!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13419558-hive  

10) Deadlocked by AR Wise
I chose this shorter story because it had that real feel to it. A man trying to get home to save his family watches hell erupt around him on a normal working day. I always enjoy zombie books that start with showing you the outbreak. Enjoyable with a good plot twist at the end.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13371322-deadlocked


 
 

16 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I own The Harvesting and have always thought about picking up the Allison Hewitt one. Glad to hear it is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the reviews I thought I'd hate both so I was pleased to be proved wrong!

      Delete
  2. It's not a surprise to see that you have a zombie list! Ha! I really should attempt to read more zombie books... Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like the ideal excuse as I'm having a horror month!

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I love zombies! My favorite zombie series is Rot & Ruin since its actually part of The Walking Dead universe. Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never resist trying a new zombie series! I have a whole pile of them still to read!

      Delete
  4. Nice list of books for this week's TTT post!! Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-for-readers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at what everyone chose as their subject this week-it gives us so much to comment on when we visit the blogs!

      Delete
  5. I'd better forward this to my sister... ha. I do keep meaning to try Rhiannon Frater, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take to her vampire series but this one was much better-except for one character that I wanted to personally feed to a zombie...

      Delete
  6. I love zombies but I have not read any of these, I will have to check them out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll have some fun with a few of these! A couple of them might still be free on Amazon or Smashwords.

      Delete
  7. Great list - I would also add Patient Zero and the Benny Imura series! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't like his books and Benny Imura was too YA for me!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's too bad. Never mind then. :)

      Delete
  8. I've not heard of any of these books. lol. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete