Saturday, 14 March 2015

Book Review: Elemental Reality by Cesya MaRae Cuono


When Callie Pierce was ten, her mother disappeared without a trace. On the eve of her disappearance twelve years later, the earth seemingly comes alive. The elements speak to Callie, and that's only the beginning. Everything she has ever known was a twisted fabrication to protect her. Now the truth is set free. Callie and her sister are more powerful than any Faerie ever born. Now they have to use their powers to save their mother and family from the evil hands of fate that threaten to tear them apart. Welcome to her elemental reality.

My Review:
I really disliked this book from the minute I started reading-not because it is badly written, because it isn't. There is nothing wrong with the author's writing ability.

It is the dumb bitch MC that drove me up the wall to insanity. She was so annoying! She meets Mr Dreamy in a club and falls in love with him in that I'm hooked and I shall be your servant way until a minute later when Mr Dangerous catches her on the dancefloor and she falls madly in love with him and never wants to be parted...then she glimpses Mr Dreamy and Oh I'm in love then....*yawn* you get the message. She can't LOOK at one of these guys without loving him and wanting his babies five minutes later. I really hate this magically induced instaluv, it gets on my nerves.

Then we have Crocodile Dundee as our romantic hero which did not work for me. Having an Ausiie hero is fine-it's great, actually, but we do actually have enough imagination for the author to say that he had a soft Australian accent and we can imagine him saying normal things in that cool accent instead of having him scream out random Aussie phrases like G'DAY BRUCE!!! (then explaining it) every two minutes! I found this offputting, cliched and it made him sound really out of place and stupid.

And Callie. I could have shaken her cheerfully by the throat. As well as BEHAVING like a lovesick puppy, she tells us on every page that she is acting like a lovesick puppy complete with saying 'woof woof' every time she says it. I was at the stage of climbing into the book to kill her with each additional woof she uttered. Clever dialogue this is not. It was childish, irritating, repetitive and it was the end of the book for me.

Woof Effing Woof.  
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Instalove always get's on my nerves, they might have insta attraction, but I wish they would get to know each other before feeling in love. I don't think I would enjoy this book it either, it's a miracle you was able to finish this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't finish the book-I only read a handful of chapters before getting sick of the woofing and love stuff!

      Delete
  2. When the MC is awful, there is no way to get through the story with liking it! Ugh! I can totally relate.
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are authors so obsessed with love triangles and intaluv??? GRRR!

      Delete
  3. This was one I kinda liked the sounds of when I first saw it and the blurb. Bummer to hear the mc is so mean. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a bit disappointed in a few books recently! Still, if you want to read it, I'd suggest trying to borrow it or grab it cheap if you can in case you don't like it.

      Delete