Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Book Review: The Rising by Brian Keene


Since it's 2003 debut, Brian Keene's THE RISING is one of the best-selling zombie novels of all-time. It has been translated into over a dozen languages, inspired the works of other authors and filmmakers, and has become a cultural touchstone for an entire generation of horror fans.

THE RISING is the story of Jim Thurmond, a determined father battling his way across a post-apocalyptic zombie landscape, to find his young son. Accompanied by Martin, a preacher still holding to his faith, and Frankie, a recovering heroin addict with an indomitable will to survive, Jim travels from state to state and town to town, facing an endless onslaught of undead hordes, and the evils perpetrated by his fellow man.


My Review:
When I picked this up, I was looking for a zombie book. Y'know, the original traditional shambling creatures that move on instinct to try and kill you? Instead we get some kind of demon alien things who arrive on Earth and start taking over the bodies of the dead. They have a nibble on new victims just to keep them going calory wise but not enough to damage the person before a fellow demon takes it over as his new home. Oh and these zombies talk, preach their hatred for the Creator dude, drive vehicles, use weapons, set traps...no, that is just not a zombie book for me! Oh and we have zombie fish and things too...

I don't like a few of the things in the book. There is a kind of almost racial steriotyping in the characters that I didn't like. The women are of course there just to be raped by the military men who are of course psychos, or grabbed by these zombies who aren't really zombies. The book seems to be more about the psycho people than trying to be a zombie book or horror book, which was a bit of a let down for me. The characters aren't people that you give a damn about which makes it hard to care what happens. And I do question these particular characters putting themselves at severe risk to rescue a strangers kid.

The book takes ages to get going with purpose and my mind was never fully engaged with it. There was a lot of technical stuff about the collider etc that went over my head and I just didn't care about. In the parts of the book that I read we get vague reasons for the disaster mixed in with weird and confusing rants by the zombie leader about where they came from and what they are, and I thought it was set out in a very messy and confused manner. I also get very bored with books with swearing for the sake of it. It always makes me think that the author is being too lazy to think up smart or witty dialogue to entertain the reader.

This just didn't appeal to me in any way, shape or form and I stopped reading. I never judge an author on one book if I can help it and I have a few others by the author to try so I'll write this off and try something else of his later.  

star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Um... I'm not much for zombies to begin with. But sounds like the author tried to take the traditional zombie and remake it to something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'll give him credit for trying something new in the genre which isn't easy to do. This felt more like the bad guys were members of an alien cult than zombies which was a pain when I expected real zombies!

      Delete