Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books of Last 3-5 Years


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/


Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

Most of the books I've read recently and loved have been older books that have been sitting around the house for too long! So My top ten is going to have to stretch back the full five years to find a top ten of new all time favourites! These are in no particular order.

NB I have now been told that it is top ten new favourites READ in the last 3-5 years, not PUBLISHED so I'm altering my list.

1) Patricia Briggs-Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7) 2013
I love this series and the characters. This has to be my favourite books so far, after the disappointment of River Marked. I loved the never ending  action and tension, and it was great to see a bit from Adam's POV as well. Assassins, kidnappers, becoming a real mother figure to Jesse are all in a day's work for Mercy! I gave this book 5 stars and plan to read it many times!


2) David Estes-The Moon Dwellers (Dwellers #1) 2012
This was a book that I did as a read and review for the author, receiving a free copy and I was blown away by it and gave it 5 stars which is rare for me. I then bought the whole series in paperback. It is a dystopian story full of action, a grim evil government, with a hint of possible romance and great characters that you care about. I loved it and can't wait to get time to read the rest of the series.  


3) VM Zito-The Return Man 2012
This was a classic zombie apocalypse book that my dad and I both loved. A man searches for people's relatives in the zombie wasteland to put them to rest and is hired by the government to find a scientist inside a prison full of zombies. This book was scary, full of zombie action and had the human story of our hero wanting to find his zombie wife to let her rest in peace. I gave this 5 stars and I want to see this as a film!

4) RL Naquin-Monster Haven series 2012-2015 
I loved this-Maurice the Closet Monster houseguest-he cooks he cleans, looks after Zoey and helps her look after the magical creatures that seek her help. This series is very funny as Zoey is an accident prone empathic wedding planner with a pathetic ex husband, there are lots of wonderful magical characters, there is action and there are bits that make you cry. I LOVED this series which will end this month.


5) Eli Constant-Dead Trees 2012
This was another great 5 star read. Instead of zombies, we have beasties, underground humanoid creatures who attack at night. A single mother battles to keep her kids safe on the road trip from hell as the creatures evolve and learn new ways to target their human prey. This was a fantastic zombie style book with a great female MC, another book that would make a great film. I'm looking forward to reading book two this month!

6) Kendra C Highley-Matt Archer Monster Hunter 2012-2014 
I got the first few books in the series to review from the author free as a book tour host and I loved them! There are all kinds of mutant monsters in the books, non stop action, great humour and characters you love, and you just never knew what the author was going to do next. This is a great series. I still have book five to read which I have been saving for a rainy day as I don't want it to end! 

7) JG Faherty-Carnival of Fear 2010 
I got this book free as a read and review from the author and it is one of the best horror novels I've ever read. Each room in the carnival funhouse has a scene from a horror film-vampires, werewolves, aliens, serial killers, witch trials, zombies-but enter the room and you enter the scene for real to battle that monster. If you lose, you die, if you win you survive to enter the next room. Brilliant, innovative, scary, tension filled horror fun!


8) Cherie Priest-Bloodshot 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. What do you get if you team up a blind vampire seeking a cure, a snarky kickass vampire thief and a drag queen ex soldier? A great darn story! It was funny, it had great action which never really slowed, well written characters...such a shame the series got dropped after the second book. I keep hoping the author will self publish the rest of the series but no sign of that so far. 


9) Skyla Dawn Cameron-Bloodlines 2008
This is one of the books that I changed from the original ten that I posted (see NB for details)I really enjoyed this book. Zara is vain, arrogant, bitchy and pyschotic and I loved her snarky attitude and kickass vibe. There is a ton of action, good humour and excellent writing. The author has just got back the rights to the series so now I can finally buy and read the whole series. 


10) DD Barant-Dying Bites 2009 
I loved Jace and the plot was totally different from the usual urban fantasy. I liked the fact that her partner was a Golem (he prefers the term Mineral American). There were werewolves and bad humans, it was funny and had lots of action and I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series!


13 comments:

  1. I have several books in the Monster Haven series and am glad to hear you really like them. The Carnival of Fear looks awesome and I love Patricia Briggs and Cherie Priest. I am so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to marry Maurice from Monster Haven! He's my ideal man! I've been saving book 5 until I got book 6 which I bought yesterday so I'm going to have a Monster night maybe this weekend and complete the series. I loved Carnival of Fear because it was like watching several horror movies back to back and it was pretty exciting! You never knew what was going to happen next.

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I enjoy visiting your blog too!

      Delete
  2. Ha, I haven't read any of the books on your list! They look intriguing though. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to hunt down new books and series to try! I hit gold with the books on this list though!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of any of these but I'm glad you loved them! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great when you get those really good books that you know you will enjoy reading again!

      Delete
  4. Ah, Cherie Priest. <3 I forget if I put it on my list, but I do adore it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame that this series got dumped by the publisher. I just wish Cherie would self publish!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of the books you've listed on your post this week... It's time to expand my reading horizons!! Here;s a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-books-you-would-classify-as-all.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to look at what everyone puts on the list each week!

      Delete
  6. Oh! I'd forgotten about Bloodshot. I wanted that one, and still do. :) Great list of books here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Bloodshot-I just wish the series was longer than two books!

      Delete
  7. Carnival of Fear sounds interesting based on your recommendation here. I think I saw it before but dismissed it since the cover looks like it belongs on a Goosebumps books. But it is a good horror read, I am there! Also just added the Return Man to my goodreads to-read list. Thanks for stopping by my TTT
    -Jamie @ Vailia’s Page Turner .

    ReplyDelete