Friday, 27 March 2015

Book Review: Seven Kinds of Hell by Dana Cameron


When archaeologist Zoe Miller's cousin is abducted by a vicious Russian kidnapper, she must come to grips with a haunting secret. Unknown to even her closest friends, Zoe is not entirely human. She's a werewolf and a daughter of the "Fangborn," a hidden race of werewolves, vampires, and oracles.

Zoe's attempt to rescue her cousin leads her on a quest for artifacts—including Pandora's Box, an object of world-ending power. With the fate of humanity in the balance, Zoe will be forced to renew family ties and pit her own supernatural abilities against a dark and nefarious fo.

At once captivation, deftly worded, and character-rich Seven Kinds of Hell expands vampire legend and werewolf noir in both intensity and charismatic bite.


My Review:
This book was info dump heaven so if like me, you don't like info dumps, proceed with caution!

This was potential unfulfilled. I liked the idea of the story-mother and daughter staying on the run to avoid her father's wicked shifter family, and as Zoe buries her mother, she is being stalked by other shifters. There should have been menace and drama in this but instead it actually felt slow and boring because it an unbelievable amount of info dumping in it, stopping the flow of the story. Some of the information relating to how Zoe first discovered she was a shifter were necessary to the story so this was fine.

However it was the story coming to a full halt with information that we just didn't need that was the problem. We get the complete family history, in depth details about her job, Danny's history, Sean's history, the broken friendship, the broken romantic relationship, the Fangborn, memories of her ex boyfriend, stealing from where she works...there was just too much that wasn't needed especially when it was all shoved into the opening chapters. Perhaps if the author had concentrated on Zoe's beast and her stalkers then gradually told us about Fangborn, it might have worked better and got me into the story instead of feeling bored by the whole Sean and Danny thing.

Zoe herself was annoying. All her life it has been drummed into her to keep away from her father's people. On her deathbed her mother told her to leave NOW. Instead Zoe dawdles around town for another couple of days, hanging around with the people she cares most about, having a great big public funeral and letting her stalkers find her and endanger her loved ones. Yeah just ignore everything your mother ever taught you.

Even the Fangborn parts were confusing. First we have all the people stalking and then confronting Zoe. Then we find out there are actually TWO different groups of Fangborn-the ones who want to hurt her and the ones who want to help her and they are all in town at the same time. And then another group happen to be in town to kidnap Danny to make her steal similar artifacts to what she stole herself...? To be honest by this point it was confusing and a bit dull and I found that I didn't really care if the whole world wanted to find/use/kill Zoe.

I have heard in other reviews that as the book progressed, the action came thick and fast which is the kind of book I like. But the problem is, I hate ploughing through stuff I find slow or boring to get to the good parts, and I rarely continue for long with a slow starting book. If it had got off to a faster start with less info dumping I might have continued with it.


star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

4 comments:

  1. Ah, darn. I think this is somewhere on one of my lists... alas for lost potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt when I read it! Still, if we liked everything we read we'd be in trouble storing them...my room is a mess at the best of times!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the info dumps. That woman on the cover looks like the same woman from another series I've read by Caitlin Kittridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate info dumps...actually there are a lot of things that will switch me off from a book so it is always fun when I find a real gem. I'm hoping for a few good ones in April.

      Delete